Guitar Setup

TerryWall

Blues Newbie
I'm thinking of doing guitar setup myself. Any recommendations of an electric guitar setup kit to buy? Also, if there's any written instructions, that would help--a pdf, website, etc. Most i've ever done is changing strings.

Thanks,

Terry

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I'm thinking of doing guitar setup myself. Any recommendations of an electric guitar setup kit to buy? Also, if there's any written instructions, that would help--a pdf, website, etc. Most i've ever done is changing strings.

Thanks,

Terry
I get mine done by a pro if its far out of whack. If your guitar just needs a tweak, you don't need more than a tuner, ruler, and straight edge. Maybe an Allen key or small screwdriver. Caution is required if you need to work on the nut or truss rod as you can create more problems than you solve. Straight edge to check neck relief. Ruler to adjust string and pickup height. Tuner to adjust intonation. Only make truss rod adjustments one quarter turn at a time to avoid stressing the neck. After turning, allow a few hours before rechecking relief. I've never replaced a nut or filed one, as I can be too impatient when using a file or sanding. I let pros do that if needed. Maybe some electric cleaner to spray on pots if they're scratchy. There are many good tutorials on YouTube, possibly even for your make of guitar.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Here's a newer section of the Music Nomad site that has a lot of good information. Music Nomad sells some good products for a fairly respectable price. Over the course of the last year, I've become a pretty big fan of them. I think some of the setup kits have booklets to walk you through a setup, but they've recently been posting vids to do the same. Take a look, and see if it might be beneficial for you.

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/How-To-Advice/Setup-Hub/

straightblues

Blues Junior
For tools, there is a lot of different stuff out there. You can spend tons of money. After doing it for a long time, I wish I would have bought the proper good tools from the start instead of trying to cheap out. But I own a lot of guitars and am always setting them up for myself and friends.

For starters, you need nut files and feeler guauges. Buy them first.

TerryWall

Blues Newbie
Many thanks to all who responded. I've looked at a lot of videos, and visited sites you mentioned. All very helpful. I'll probably by a starter kit with some basic tools, and use the videos I've found to help me.

Again, your input has been very helpful!

Stinger22

Blues Junior
It's great being able to do your own and dial it in on each guitar. Get one of the setup measuring gauges. Stewmac has good ones but can be found cheaper
upload_2020-11-30_19-25-42.png