Guitar Choice for Beginners

rambo46

Blues Newbie
I've just received my BBG course but as yet don't have guitar.

Any recommendations ofr a beginner like me.  Acoustic or Electric?  What make.  something not too expensive to begin with.

thanks for any input.

Sam

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
If your starting of with guitar and on a close budget then I'd suggest something like a Yamaha Pacifica. This is a Fender Strat lookalike but at a modest price.

The choice of which guitar, well for me I'd go electric. I was made by my missus to get an acoustic first to see if I could stick with it before committing to spend more money, but in the end you migrate to electric. Playing an acoustic is essentialy really cool but it is very painful on the finger tips and this is what discourages most beginners. An electric guitar is much easier to learn with.  :)

IMHO.   :cool:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Fender Squire Strat. but go to a big music store and play lots of them. Some feel better than others.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Rambo,
You'll probably receive a thousand different answers...great question!
I like the idea of an inexpensive fender/fender-copy electric. The Stratocaster is THE most popular guitar type in the world...can't go wrong. And, as Xmas approaches, there will probably be a few beginner "packages" (guitar/amp/accessories) that'll probably fit your need.
An inexpensive ACOUSTIC STEEL string IS tough on the fingers (weird the way that works for beginners). A NYLON string acoustic is much easier on the fingers, but clearly a different tone.
You will probably end up with an Electric and an Acoustic at some point in your journey. I like the MikeS's idea of going to a big music store (Guitar Center?) to TRY a few, see what FEELS and SOUNDS good, and go from there!
Good Luck!

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I'd lean towards an acoustic as a first guitar, but if you're sure you want to go electric that's fine, too.

I think it's going to be a little difficult for you, as a complete beginner, to go into the store to try a bunch of guitars and be able to tell much of anything about how they feel and sound. That will be a much more fruitful exercise after you've been playing (and learning) for at least a few months - maybe for your second guitar! ;)

Right now I'd suggest that you take along a friend who is an intermediate or better player (and preferably someone who is disinclined to focus on showing off their mad skilz). Listen to them play some simple stuff on guitars in your price range - strumming chords, scales, etc. - to decide what kind of sound you like. Trust them to evaluate how the neck feels, string action, etc. because those things probably won't be easy for you to distinguish at this stage.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Lots of answers and pros and cons of electric vs. acoustic. The answer is this...do you want to play in a band etc. ..get electric. Want to play for yourself "on the porch".. get acoustic. What I am saying is first decide what your playing interests are then go from there. BTW, which ever way you go.. later you will get the other  electric or acoustic.
Just know BBGU will really give you a lot of fun.
Hope this helps.  [smiley=beer.gif]

kmonroe99

Blues Newbie
I'm still a beginner, and went through the same decisions over the last year or so;  I now have both.  What I experienced (I play only at home, for myself) ...

Electric advantages: easier to play, easier (but not easy) on fingers, lots of sounds
Electric disadvantages: you need an amp, you need a cable, you'll end up wanting a pedal or 2 to play with the tone, electric seems to generate more GAS
Acoustic advantages: you can take it anywhere and play, no electrics needed
Acoustic disadvantages: harder to play (relatively), more painful on fingers but you get your calluses within a couple of weeks.

Whichever one you get, you'll be wanting the other type soon.  Make sure you have the shop include a setup, tuning and intonation check when you buy. 

I started with a Yamaha Pacifica electric, very nice Strat type but hard to find in stores.  The Squier's are nice and have a good range of prices. You can probably get a good deal or package involving a Squier.  For acoustic, I'd look at a Taylor Baby, Big Baby or GS Mini.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
For a total beginner I would suggest something like this (for $200)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratPkFM10Bk

It should also be available at your local music store. Guitar, amp, tuner , picks, strap, etc. It will take you a while to find out what the limitations are and why you might want a better guitar or amp.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
If you do get to a Guitar Center, don't ignore the used gear acoustic and electric sections.  You can often get the next step up in quality for the same price and some of the guitars are very gently used, if at all.  At Guitar Center, you have a month to return, so there is no risk.

I'd guess I'd be inclined to suggest electric and a used Mexican-made Fender Strat or one of the nicer Squiers or Epiphones. If you go acoustic, have acoustic light strings put on it.  They will be just slightly harder to play than an electric.  You can move up in gauge, if you choose, once you've developed some callouses and finger strength.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
all good advice....my .02...buy used or buy cheap...I'd venture to say that most of us have been in the same boat...but the guitars being made today are better and cheaper than ever...

If I were buying a first guitar for one of my grandsons... ::)...I'd check out the Strat packages for under $200 and see if you can one on a Christmas special...later.

cowboy

punder

Blues Newbie
I'm going to add a very unorthodox suggestion:  the Eastwood Delta 6.

I am a perpetual beginner but seem to have a problem with GAS.  So I've bought a few guitars.  Among them are a couple of Delta 6s I got mainly because they look so cool.  But I have gravitated to them for my practice more and more--one downstairs in my "cave" and the other in the living room for TV practice.

I suggest it because it is an easy-playing electric guitar that also sounds GREAT unplugged.  So you don't need an amp and all those tangled cords every time you want to practice, but the option is there when you need it.  It also has an amazing funky bluesy sound that really puts me in the mood.

Like I said, an unorthodox suggestion, but there ya go.

It gets nice comments on the few occasions I've taken it to jams too.

rambo46

Blues Newbie
Hey everyone...

I finally got a guitar - a Keith Urban Player Acoustic.  Started practicing and am getting discouraged.

I know I've only practiced for 4 days but I can't seem to hit all notes cleanly.  Most of the time if I'm not extremely careful My other fingers are muting now or I'm Pressing two strings at the same time.

I have fairly long thin fingers so "fat fingers" can't be the issue.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Haha, just don't give up..... Almost everyone goes through this phase. It will get better. Soon, if you practice a few minutes daily.

I know lots of people who had this experience. It looks so easy on youtube when you see the pro's play, really frustrating. But as I said, just don't give up.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Hey everyone...

I finally got a guitar - a Keith Urban Player Acoustic.  Started practicing and am getting discouraged.

I know I've only practiced for 4 days but I can't seem to hit all notes cleanly.  Most of the time if I'm not extremely careful My other fingers are muting now or I'm Pressing two strings at the same time.

First suggestion is a healthy dose of patience.

Guitar has what I call a high barrier of entry in that just playing a note cleanly is not simply like a piano where if you hit the key the note will sound.

This can make it pretty frustrating right off the bat but after a few weeks it will surprise you what you can do.

Griff

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
One other thing... get extra light strings on your guitar.

Acoustic strings are generally much heavier than their electric counterparts and that makes it considerably more difficult to get a clean note.

There is no shame in running light strings - BB King and Billy Gibbons play much lighter strings than most so it's obviously nothing wrong.

You might have to ask a local place to string it for you, or you can watch my video on how to string it in the bonus section of your BBG.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Hey everyone...

Along with the other great tips, my suggestion is to simply slow down.  Work on making each note or chord sound as good as possible individually until you nail it. It isn't as gratifying, but don't worry about putting notes together until they sound reasonably good individually.  Once you get the initial feel down,  the rest comes much more quickly. Also, don't overdo the length of their practice sessions or fatigue and frustration will kick in.  Keeping it to 20-30 minutes at a time is usually a good target.