Griff's Soloing Levels

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
Terrific video from Griff breaking down the levels of soloing mastery.
https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/blog/soloing-levels-for-knowing-what-to-practice/#comment-731275

Based on the model, i’d rate myself as a “B” for Level I and about “C” for Level II. I now need to spend some time thinking about the gaps I’ve got in Level I. And how to close them. Off the top, I'd say its (1) I'm lacking a good strong base of "on demand" minor licks, that I can plug in easily, and (2) i tend to get a bit lost on the fretboard when moving around between the boxes, which I'm sure would be helped by knowing note names and more importantly, being able to find root notes easily...

Perhaps a next step is to map some of Griff's soloing courses to this framework? Like many of you, I’ve got a lot of the courses, and it can be a bit overwhelming to find the right place for a deep dive. But this helps!

What are you guys doing to get stronger in either Level 1 or 2?

Last edited:

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I agree with TommyTT - the Blues Scale (Flashcard) Practice Tool is the best thing to learn all the boxes in Major and Minor, which is (I think Griff said) the foundation for the move from Level 1 to Level 2. Although I'm a competent Level 1 soloist, with occasional bits of Level 2 and even Level 3, it's that "competent" bit that is my downfall - gotta get to EXPERT at Level 1 before I can seriously expect to advance to Level 2.
Yeah, Scotty, that video was one of the best motivational and directional ones that I've ever seen. Griff just keeps on coming up with exciting ways to keep us striving for satisfaction.
It's a Public Holiday Monday here in Aus, so extra time for practice.