Griff's move to Texas

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Commuting in the San Francisco Bay Area is a pain! However, a friend of mine said: "Commuting in an ICBM only takes 15 minutes to get to the furthest point within the United States. But you have to be careful of the sudden stop"! CRASH! :ROFLMAO:o_O

Thanks to the Air Force, I lived in Texas twice - Lackland AFB (San Antonio) and Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo. We lived in the Pasadena Apartments. The manager told me about the terrible tornadoes San Angelo had had. But she reassured me with this comment: "Don't worry none about tornados! This good brick building will protect you"! :eek: We were on the second floor. The last tornado that had visited San Angelo destroyed the downtown area, which included steel reinforced buildings, just a few blocks from where we lived.

San Angelo is in Tom Green County, a Dry County. No alcohol is sold there. It's in the bible. However they have bars. You simply drive to the next county, purchase your favorite beverage, return to San Angelo, pay $10 for the person in the bar to open your bottle, which they called a "set up", and you may enjoy your beverage. This was 1965-66. I am sure that the prices have gone up.

Times change and all that. I see that you can purchase "packaged beverages" (what's that?) between 10 AM and 9 PM Monday thru Saturday, but "Never On Sunday"! ;)

By the way, the Pasadena Apartment House is now a vacant lot. Perhaps a tornado blew it away after we left? :( Has anyone seen red bricks scattered around San Angelo? :cry:

Tom

Where I grew up in Mesquite was a dry city, but Dallas was (obviously) not. My parents' house was only about 2 exits East on I30 from Dallas city limits. Right on the city line at the first exit (don't remember the name of that exit now) there were about 20 liquor and beer stores. All lined up for blocks. You couldn't buy any alcohol on Sunday or after 9 pm (I think) on any other day. You could only get alcohol in Mesquite at restaurants that had bars in them. There were no freestanding bars. The restaurants could only have alcohol be something like 20% of total sales. So once you had your drink or two, they were giving you your bill and shooing you out the door.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
My next assignment after Goodfellow AFB, was Richards Gebaur AFB, Grandview, Missouri (pounced Missoura, for you flat land foreigners!)

That is Harry Truman country. Well, one day, early on a Sunday (1966), I went to the local supermarket, with the thought of purchasing a family size bottle of ginger ale. The Base BX was closed, and this was my first time at the civilian store. I entered, only to find that all the coolers had an orange colored canvas covering them. I asked the store manager where I could find the ginger ale, and he said it was Sunday. Since no alcoholic beverages could be sold on Sunday, and the soft drinks were in coolers on the same side of the store, that no one could purchase soft drinks. The beer was about 20 feet from the soft drinks.

Anyone ever watch Mama's Family on television? Well, Katy and I went to the nearest catholic church which was in "Raytown". We never got to meet mama, or other members of her family, but we sure enjoy watching the program and remembering "Raytown".

Tom

JoeLamere

Blues Newbie
Commuting in the San Francisco Bay Area is a pain! However, a friend of mine said: "Commuting in an ICBM only takes 15 minutes to get to the furthest point within the United States. But you have to be careful of the sudden stop"! CRASH! :ROFLMAO:o_O

Thanks to the Air Force, I lived in Texas twice - Lackland AFB (San Antonio) and Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo. We lived in the Pasadena Apartments. The manager told me about the terrible tornadoes San Angelo had had. But she reassured me with this comment: "Don't worry none about tornados! This good brick building will protect you"! :eek: We were on the second floor. The last tornado that had visited San Angelo destroyed the downtown area, which included steel reinforced buildings, just a few blocks from where we lived.

San Angelo is in Tom Green County, a Dry County. No alcohol is sold there. It's in the bible. However they have bars. You simply drive to the next county, purchase your favorite beverage, return to San Angelo, pay $10 for the person in the bar to open your bottle, which they called a "set up", and you may enjoy your beverage. This was 1965-66. I am sure that the prices have gone up.

Times change and all that. I see that you can purchase "packaged beverages" (what's that?) between 10 AM and 9 PM Monday thru Saturday, but "Never On Sunday"! ;)

By the way, the Pasadena Apartment House is now a vacant lot. Perhaps a tornado blew it away after we left? :( Has anyone seen red bricks scattered around San Angelo? :cry:

Tom
you are the character Tom!!! got my eye out for red bricks now,, thanks

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Well Yee Ha!
Hope that works out well.
Anybody know what precipitated this move?
I'm sure it's cheaper living.

Update:
I missed his email on that.
Just read it and it sounds like it's partially driven by economics.
I love Cali but I don't understand how anybody on an average income can survive there.

Can you say taxes & politics?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Where I grew up in Mesquite was a dry city, but Dallas was (obviously) not. My parents' house was only about 2 exits East on I30 from Dallas city limits. Right on the city line at the first exit (don't remember the name of that exit now) there were about 20 liquor and beer stores. All lined up for blocks. You couldn't buy any alcohol on Sunday or after 9 pm (I think) on any other day. You could only get alcohol in Mesquite at restaurants that had bars in them. There were no freestanding bars. The restaurants could only have alcohol be something like 20% of total sales. So once you had your drink or two, they were giving you your bill and shooing you out the door.

That's the way it was when I moved here in 1980, but things have changed. First came beer then wine in restaurants then the grocery , then bars (a Bar receives 51% of their revenue from liquor). They recently began allowing liquor stores in my area, and you can even buy liquor on Sunday after 12 noon.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Did I once hear Griff say he didn't like hot weather? :eek:

I've never spent a season in North Texas, but when I've been there and everyone says how hot it is, then an hour later there's a thunder storm with a light show, it never seems as hot as the Sacramento Valley in California.
It would take a lot to make me move that far from the Pacific, but at the rate things are going, a move to North Texas may be a few short years away for me as well. Besides the weather, it's closer to Fargo, N.D. where 2 daughters, 1 son and 4 grandkids are that I don't see often enough.....(and politics).
I'm sure that being closer to family had a little sump'in to do with Griff's choice of habitat as well.

Last edited:

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
I have an office in Dallas (our main office is in STL)...hopefully next time I am down there I can finally get a chance to meet Griff and some of you other Texas boys!

Silicon Valley Tom

April 1966, San Angelo, Tejas (Spanish spelling): There we were, Katy and I decided that we could drive to the ice cream shop 4 miles away, but then could not afford ice cream, or we could walk and have each have a scoop. We went for the later option! :)

We left the house on North Oakes, and began our walk. It was 90 degrees, and 1 PM. We were dressed for the temperature. As we walked, we began to feel a chill in the air. There were several outdoor temperature signs attached to banks along the way. By the time we got home, about 4 hours later, the temperature had dropped to 10 degrees! We turned on the television and they said that a cold front had entered the area. Our neighbors told us that is not unusual for April. An 80 degree temperature drop in 4 hours is nothing I can consider enjoyable, but we got the same type of weather when we moved to Grandview, Missouri.

My job in the Air Force was to inspect radar sites, and four Air Force Division Headquarters, all in the mid west. There were trips that I will never forget1 A trip to Arlington, Illinois, was interesting. In the Air Force, we had "Uniform Change Day, October 15th - April 15 you had to wear your winter uniform. April 15-October 15 you wore your summer uniform.

We were at Arlington, from October 10 to 14, which was a Friday. We were there to inspect the Air Force Radar Site at that location. However, the temperature was around 40 below zero, with winds up to 50 mph. We were not allowed to go outside. They told us that f we had Air Force Survival Gear (which was not available) we could survive for 90 seconds. It took 90 seconds to climb the radar tower steps, if they did not have ice and snow. So we stayed inside for the entire five days. We returned to Kansas City, Missouri, and drove to Grandview.

The next day, was Saturday October 15, uniform change day. Now we had to wear our winter uniforms. That Sunday, Katy and I went to the Catholic Church on Base. It was 110 degrees, and when we got to the top of the hill, near the parking lot, we noticed four Air Force Ambulances. They were taking people on stretchers from the Church to the Ambulance. We got inside and noticed that the Priest had opened all the stained glass windows, all 14. Air Force requirements are to turn off all air conditioners and turn on all heaters. Can you imagine 110 degrees with all the heaters on in a church? One must follow regulations and all that. At least the Priest was allowed to open the windows! The Air Force had no regulations concerning that.

Tom

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Here in NSW Australia we do get 4 seasons but Winter is the only one you can rely on to be consistent, usually cold but sunny. We are now in Spring and it was 25 C yesterday and a max of 16 today! We are on the edge of the Southern Tablelands so in summer it can drop from 38 degrees to 20 in a matter of minutes if the late afternoon wind gets up. I have travelled around Texas and I do remember the spectacular lightning storms, which we are also prone to at this time of year. Talking about the weather must be the English coming out in me.:giggle:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
One of my weirdest weather experiences was on Interstate 10 going through Texas. We were passing through El Paso: so, high pass, altitude, yadda yadda.

It started snowing. Hard.

I was Florida born and raised. Was stationed in sorta-southern California (Monterey). What is this snow stuff?

Tried to drive carefully but ended up doing a slow set of 360s round and round about until I drifted to the shoulder and thankfully stopped (also thankfully without hitting anyone or anyone hitting me). Continued on even slower than before, until we got through the squall and the road was sane again.

Yeah, weird.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
We were at Arlington, from October 10 to 14, which was a Friday. We were there to inspect the Air Force Radar Site at that location. However, the temperature was around 40 below zero, with winds up to 50 mph. We were not allowed to go outside. They told us that f we had Air Force Survival Gear (which was not available) we could survive for 90 seconds. It took 90 seconds to climb the radar tower steps, if they did not have ice and snow. So we stayed inside for the entire five days. We returned to Kansas City, Missouri, and drove to Grandview.
Tom

That was essentially the same weather we had when I went through boot camp. -70 wind chill factor for the first week or so of boot. Jan-Mar '94, Great Lakes (Great Mistakes) Recruit Training Command.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
My daughter in Fargo, N.D. insists that they have four seasons.
They are, (according to her) Winter, False Spring, Second Winter and Construction.
She's lived there for almost 13 years, so I'll take her word for it. I've only been there during Construction Season. I thought it was quite pleasant.

Silicon Valley Tom

My daughter in Fargo, N.D. insists that they have four seasons.
They are, (according to her) Winter, False Spring, Second Winter and Construction.
She's lived there for almost 13 years, so I'll take her word for it. I've only been there during Construction Season. I thought it was quite pleasant.

One of my Air Force Inspection Tours, was at Minot, ND. I could write a book on each of those inspections. They had these red lines around all the power poles. "What's that for", I asked? "That is the 20 foot mark, so you have a relative idea of how high the snow is"! Then they showed me pictures to prove it! All the barracks had peaked roofs, with full size doors between the peak. The chow hall was similar. When the snow got deep, you simply climbed a ladder to the attic, opened the outside door, and walked across the snow to the chow hall. Then you opened the chow hall door between the peaked roof, entered, and climbed down the ladder. A guy has to eat! The bottom of the buildings were about three feet off the ground. The bottoms of the doors I am speaking of must have been about 12 feet above the ground.

Like we loved to say: "Reenlist and enjoy the benefits"!

On Sunday, I went to the Catholic Church for Mass. The Church resembled a chicken coop, covered with stucco. As I entered the church, the Priest handed me a Church Bulletin (one page folded in half) and told me if I was to receive Holy Communion, I should take a marble from the left bowl and place it into the right bowl, which I did. I was further instructed to return the Church Bulletin at the end of Mass. That reminded me of the paper drives we had at our church! The Holy Communion Wafer was whole Wheat, abut 1/4" thick and the size a a fifty cent piece. The bulletin discussed that the church had collected $700 during the previous 9 month period, and all of it was being donated to their "sister church", which was 129 miles away. They needed a new roof, as their roof had been destroyed during a serious storm. The Dominican father and all members of his Order take a Vow Of Poverty. They receive no salary and depend upon members of the congregation for food, etc. I kept the Church Bulletin to have evidence of what I had witnessed.

At the time, Minot had 12 millionaires, a population of 1200, and had several Presbyterian Churches, each of which was a beautiful building. The members of the Catholic Church looked like braceros you would see in California's Central Valley.

Tom