Griff's Guitar

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
It's a Taylor 410CE (dreadnaught with a cutaway and a pickup.)

I got it in 1998 I think for a gig I used to have where I just played a sang for 3 sets a night, 4 nights a week. I did that on that guitar for over a year (a year and a half I think.)

What's cool is, with all that use it really settled in and now sounds just amazing. It's really mellow but just warm and squishy. I love it.

For me, Taylor guitars have the perfect neck and sound. Martins sound great, but I don't like the neck shape (usually.)

Griff

vashondan

Blues Doobie
It's a Taylor 410CE (dreadnaught with a cutaway and a pickup.)

I got it in 1998 I think for a gig I used to have where I just played a sang for 3 sets a night, 4 nights a week. I did that on that guitar for over a year (a year and a half I think.)

What's cool is, with all that use it really settled in and now sounds just amazing. It's really mellow but just warm and squishy. I love it.

For me, Taylor guitars have the perfect neck and sound. Martins sound great, but I don't like the neck shape (usually.)

Griff

Love Taylors.  Thanks for jumping in Griff.  Used to have a 512 which I LOVED but sold for some dumb reason.  Was looking for another acoustic and wondered about yours.  Ended up with a 312ce which is amazing.  Can't wait till it's broken in.

L

Lame_Pinkey

My next acoustic  ::)

http://www.kawakamiguitars.com/en/guitars.php

LP

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Those are really nice looking guitars LP. What is the price range? BTW, is that Ritchie or Burton Cummings in the photo's.  ;D

L

Lame_Pinkey

Those are really nice looking guitars LP. What is the price range? BTW, is that Ritchie or Burton Cummings in the photo's.  ;D
Price range is about $12,000 + , so I think my next acoustic is some way off  ;)

LP

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
One of these days I'd love to pick up something a little smaller, like a parlor guitar (maybe the Gibson reissue of Robert Johnson's L-1 :)

I don't know if it will happen, but for these acoustic blues gigs sometime it's just tiring getting around a dreadnaught.

Griff

vashondan

Blues Doobie
That's what I love about the Taylor 12 series.  I don't do gigs but I did have a dreadnaught and even for playing at home it's just a more comfortable guitar pick up and play.  They also have a great sound.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Price range is about $12,000 + , so I think my next acoustic is some way off  ;)

LP

At that price it won't happen for me but they sure look good.  [smiley=beer.gif]

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
One of these days I'd love to pick up something a little smaller, like a parlor guitar (maybe the Gibson reissue of Robert Johnson's L-1 :)
I've got 3 dreads.  I've been working on SWMBO to let me get a smaller one.  I've been looking at the 000 size just because I've always been a Martin fan.  I spotted that Robert Johnson L-1 a couple of weeks ago and thought that it looks like a really nice axe.  If you get it, be sure and do a blog post on it with video and a review.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
I've got 3 dreads. [glow=yellow,2,300] I've been working on SWMBO to let me get a smaller one.[/glow]  I've been looking at the 000 size just because I've always been a Martin fan.  I spotted that Robert Johnson L-1 a couple of weeks ago and thought that it looks like a really nice axe.  If you get it, be sure and do a blog post on it with video and a review.

Love that thought...  :)

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
Love Taylors. Thanks for jumping in Griff. Used to have a 512 which I LOVED but sold for some dumb reason. Was looking for another acoustic and wondered about yours. Ended up with a 312ce which is amazing. Can't wait till it's broken in.
Was looking at a 312 , care to tell how you find it for acoustic blues

TwiddleJockey

If she asks - I found it in a garage sale.....
I love an concert/folk size. Too big a belly to sit with a dread, and I’ve yet to find a parlour that sounds nice - mind you I’ve yet to find the money to try the ones that might......

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
i recently bought a Seagull Artist Mosiac, as is was a 1/3 of the price of martin 00018, Taylor 512ec
solid mahagony back and sides,cedar top
size difference Seagull is 1/2" wider between back to front thickness, 1" wider body
my main question, would this slight difference really make an impact?

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
i recently bought a Seagull Artist Mosiac, as is was a 1/3 of the price of martin 00018, Taylor 512ec
solid mahagony back and sides,cedar top
size difference Seagull is 1/2" wider between back to front thickness, 1" wider body
my main question, would this slight difference really make an impact?
All things being equal? Yes. Unfortunately all things are not equal. There is the type of wood. Just the ageing wood quality even before construction might make the smaller guitar a better sounding guitar. And then you have the interior bracing. And the neck. I would suggest that you get another Seagull of the dimensions and similar price point you want to compare and listen for yourself.

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
All things being equal? Yes. Unfortunately all things are not equal. There is the type of wood. Just the ageing wood quality even before construction might make the smaller guitar a better sounding guitar. And then you have the interior bracing. And the neck. I would suggest that you get another Seagull of the dimensions and similar price point you want to compare and listen for yourself.
if it was that easy
i live in the caribbean, so i have to buy, ship and only then would i know what i bought.
i was more refering to the comfort level

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
if it was that easy
i live in the caribbean, so i have to buy, ship and only then would i know what i bought.
i was more refering to the comfort level
Well gosh, I though you were talking about tone and overall sound. Obviously the physical size of the instrument will make a difference in comfort level. And only you can make that determination for yourself. Or are you talking about the comfort level of your overall investment? Again, only you can make that determination for yourself. Or is it something else you are referring to when you say "comfort level"?