Griff: Soloing WITH Scales

C

Chi_boy

Are there any plans for a “Soloing WITH Scales” program based on the 4 note solo concept?

Or, better question, is there a market for it?

I know I have found SWS to be very helpful and would immediately buy a program that filled in the theory gaps and continued to expand on the 4 note solo concept of learning. 

Just curious what your thoughts may be.

Thanks for all your help and the fantastic information you have provided.

Best regards,
George

L

Lame_Pinkey

Chi_Boy , 1st of all welcome to the forum ( why not intro yourself in the Intro section ? ) 2ndly do you have BGU ? The solo's there  use the scale & Griff introduces the next pattern or position of the scale as the solo's progress.
For instance the 1st solo is in the key of A & the solo is in the A minor scale position/pattern # 1.
Hope that helps in some way.

LP

samwell

been here.....
Welcome George, ditto all above & you do know how to get to the Introduce Yourself thread, right?    :cool:       based on? Not exactly, I think the 4 note solo concept's more a child of the "economical manner" utilized & emphasized by Griff in some his instruction with BGU, just a thought, again, welcome....  [smiley=beer.gif]

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
Hi George, SWS is based on a 4 note concept (as you know) to get people playing solos without the need to learn an entire scale. So, with that in mind, in order to solo WITH a scale, you'd have to break out of the 4 note limitation.

I agree that BGU is your best bet. It starts with chords to teach you rhythm and then takes off on all the different scales and how to solo with them, as well as all the little techniques along the way (bends, triplets, alternate picking, etc..)

By the way, if you want some theory, there are lots of posts here about it, including much advice from Griff on the subject. There's rumors that he's working on a theory course as well.  ;)

Welcome to the forum.  :)

L

Lame_Pinkey

I've heard those rumours too Cyber , all the way down here in Australia...Y'know what they say where there's smoke...

LP

C

Chi_boy

Chi_Boy , 1st of all welcome to the forum ( why not intro yourself in the Intro section ? ) 2ndly do you have BGU ? The solo's there  use the scale & Griff introduces the next pattern or position of the scale as the solo's progress.
For instance the 1st solo is in the key of A & the solo is in the A minor scale position/pattern # 1.
Hope that helps in some way.

LP

Hi guys!  Thanks for the replies.

I actually do have BGU, but I was up to about Lesson 12 when SWS landed in my mailbox.  I’ve been working on that ever since.  Since I read these replies I re-opened BGU and I see what you guys mean.  I actually forgot how much work I have left in BGU. 

I guess I was just so tickled with the 4 note concept that I wanted more.  For me, SWS was just perfect timing.  I’m learning a lot and the material is challenging, but not impossible, like a lot of other courses.  I think that’s why I haven’t gone back to BGU.

Thanks again for the reminder and I’ll be sure to stop by the intro thread.

Cheers,
George

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
As a point of reference, I flew through the first 12 lessons of BGU in a couple weeks, then Solo's 1 and 2 took me about a month or 2. Now I haven't moved too much further then starting Solo 3. (I've been at it for over a year now)

Now the reason I'm pointing this out is because of your comments about "challenging, but not impossible". They get a little more difficult, but they keep you growing as a player. One of the main reasons I kind of hit a stand still is because with the knowledge I have now I feel confident enough to go out and learn other songs outside of the BGU material (not to mention that's about when Griff started piling on more courses to our workload). That's also when i stopped and took a step back to focus more on the theory behind the notes and not just the ability to play it. So, ramble ramble ramble.... you're actually doing just right. You have some ability to play solos with the 4 note concept (great for improvisation) and  now you're in the perfect spot to start up on the BGU solos. Just don't forget to keep working that rhythm too.  ;)