Griff session this friday is Rock and Roll by Detroit/Mitch Ryder

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I have already started on this song somewhat ...

I first listened Detroit with Mitch do this song live in Ann Arbor at a summer concert. Think it was summer of 1970 before the album came out. Then a couple more times in the 1970s a lot of Michigan bands were throwing it down.

I like the original version the best ... ( the Detroit album version from 1971 ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mag6jxiHXXk

Here is a video of Mitch and Detroit throwing it down from several years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQvhlW77lXQ

Going way back in the Time Machine here is CC Rider from 1966 wow! This might have been playing along with their record not quite sure but looks like lip synch TV performance ... Mitch had a phenomenal voice back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9eWGdJIW74

Rob63

Make It Your Own
Lou Reed got a lot of mileage from Mitch's tune! Steve Hunter "guests" on that lp.....wonder if that's him on guitar on that track? Hunter and Detroiter Dick Wagner paired together in Alice Cooper's band and also Lou Reed. If you want to check out an awesome guitar duet listening to Lou's live version of Intro/Sweet Jane from Rock N Roll Animal! Dick Wagner is also all over the Aerosmith, Get Your Wings lp apparently overdubbing the Train Kept A Rolling solo. From Mitch's Band The Detroit Wheels, Jim McCarty(gtr) went on to Cactus/The Rockets and laying down jam tape with Hendrix.....he's still in the Detroit area with Blues Train.

Stu Jones

Blues Newbie
Great AAP session from Griff on this one (as usual). One quick simple question (I hope). I'm interested in how Griff gets his tone that he used. I use a modeler (HX Stomp), so I am looking for some quick suggestions on rig set-ups that will get me that great classic rock/blues rock crunchy sound. Thanks!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Great AAP session from Griff on this one (as usual). One quick simple question (I hope). I'm interested in how Griff gets his tone that he used. I use a modeler (HX Stomp), so I am looking for some quick suggestions on rig set-ups that will get me that great classic rock/blues rock crunchy sound. Thanks!
Hi Stu, I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure he is using his Eleven Rack. I have the patch that he sent out some time ago and it is emulating:
a Fender Super Reverb + a 4x10 cabinet (Vol 10, Treb 7 Mids 1, Bass 2, Speed 5 Intensity 0)
a "White Boost" (Gain at 10' Vol Noon, bass at 10 treb noon)
A touch of delay and a touch of reverb,

Stu Jones

Blues Newbie
Hi Stu, I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure he is using his Eleven Rack. I have the patch that he sent out some time ago and it is emulating:
a Fender Super Reverb + a 4x10 cabinet (Vol 10, Treb 7 Mids 1, Bass 2, Speed 5 Intensity 0)
a "White Boost" (Gain at 10' Vol Noon, bass at 10 treb noon)
A touch of delay and a touch of reverb,

Thanks Mike! I'll play around those settings and see if I can get something that sounds close to it.

All the best,
Stu