Gretsch 5623

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
Anyone have any experience, opinions etc. about the Gretsch 5623, Also known as the Bono signature. I like the fact that it has simplified controls - master volume and master tone. it also has a 9.5" fretboard radius which I'm partial to. Not crazy about the pickguard and truss cover, but that could be replaced.
Thanks for your insights.

sloslunas

NM Blues
I did look at the Gretsch that you mentioned in your post. I personally was not impressed, but that is just my opinion. I bought a new Gretsch a few years ago. It was way too bulky for my tastes. That guitar had the dubious distinction of being the fastest guitar that I ever parted with. I do have an Epiphone Dot that I purchased years earlier...excellent guitar! The dirtbags from Chicago Music Exchange enticed me to buy a Gibson 339. Holy crap!! It was !/2 price for $1400. This guitar is the real deal!! I now have a 335, 339, 2 Strats, and a very excellent Takamine acoustic that I will go to the grave with...YMMV so happy hunting.

Steve

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I had my mind set on a Gretsch (can't remember which model) but when I played it, and a couple of other models, I didn't like any of them. I ended up buying an Epiphone ES339 which I love.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Not that particular model, no. But I do own a Gretsch Electromatic G5120 as well as a Gretsch G6120 Chet Atkins.

The higher end Electromatics, like the G5623, are Korean made guitars, and are very nice and well built. It appears that this Bono model has the Filtertron pickups. They are much better than the G'Buckers that they were putting in the G5120s when they first came out. Other than slight size differences and the fact that woods used are not first grade, the manufacturing method or recipe as Fred Gretsch called it, is the same as the Pro Line models, like the G6120, etc. The center block is gonna help with sustain and cut down on feedback.

Also, the electronic components can be hit or miss on the Electromatics. Scratchy pots, noisy switches, loose fitting output jack specifically. I had two noisy pots on my G5120, and one of the Arrow knobs was machined so far off of center that could have been a cam. Being a cheap Bas!@$d, I just chucked the knob up, bored it oversized but on center then made a bushing to bring it back to size. Then I replaced the pots and the the output jack.

I've lived with the G'Buckers since I have the G6120 with the original Gretsch FilterTrons, and they can be made to sound OK.

It will be bulkier than like a 335 but not as bulky as an acoustic.

Hope you like it.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I had a Gretsch Stephen Stills Signature White Falcon, it was made in Terada Japan, sounded great played great, but heavy as heck! Traded it for the PRS Singlecut Trem and some cash, In the current Gretsch line I like the Brian Setzers, I do miss that Falcon