Got our tickets to Clapton!!!

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Does that Topic sound familiar? It should! Yeah, right at a year ago I post that very verbatim topic here. We had just got our tickets to see Clapton in Nashville.

Earlier this year Mr. Clapton announced a very abbreviated tour of the US. I mentioned it to my wife and, despite it being one of the best concerts we had ever seen, we decided to pass this time. A few weeks ago, inexplicably, I decided to check ticket sales. He was not sold out. I mentioned it to my wife and she introduced a complication in the decision.

We have never seen Jackson Browne. He is playing at Red Rocks! So a day's drive west to see Jackson Browne or a day's drive east to see Eric Clapton? We've yet to see Jackson Browne not have we experienced the Red Rocks concert environment. We have seen Clapton now and it was possibly the greatest concert ever.

We chose the latter. "Running on Empty" will have to wait. Our logic, however flawed, was that, despite their being close in age, we are more likely to have another chance at seeing Mr. Browne. So it is Eric Clapton, United Center, Chicago, September 12.

Plus we are off to our favorite city in the world. Like the trip to Nashville, we are going to make a week trip out of it. My wife even brought up it will include a trip to Chicago Music Exchange!!! That was weird. Suspicions were confirmed when she then negotiated equal time to some favorite home décor store of hers.:sneaky: We may try and get tickets to a Bears game. Chicago Pizza! Chicago Hot Dog! I've made reservations at a great downtown Chicago steakhouse.

I will report back in around a month!

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Oh, man, you and your Missus are in for a treat!! Killer band; Doyle, Stainton, Nathan, Paul Carrack and Sonny Emory, with Katie Kissoon and Sharon White on b'up vocals - wooohoooo!!! AND Jimmie Vaughan "special guest"/supporting.

I saw Jackson Browne once, admittedly a looooooong time ago, and I'd describe it as a "quiet" concert - there was definitely no dancing in the aisles. A very relaxed night. Very good, but not as dynamic as EC is going to be. I think you made the correct choice.

My wife moved to Australia from Clarendon Hills with her first husband in 1971, and she has regaled me with many good memories of Chicago.

Have fun. Looking forward to your report - Pictures !!!!

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I have seen Clapton a few times. From his heroin/alcohol days back in the late 70's in Chicago, one of the worst shows I have ever seen, to his clean and sober show in the early 90's Nassau Coliseum, one of the best shows I have ever seen.

The Coliseum has terrible acoustics and to make it sound good requires a lot of work, and they pulled it off.

I am sure you will have a great time, and you are in and out of the windy city before the cold weather hits.

I know the owner of this music store in Cicero. You'll have a much better selection @ CME, but if you are interested PM me and I'll try and look Leo up.

Lopez Music

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I know the owner of this music store in Cicero. You'll have a much better selection @ CME, but if you are interested PM me and I'll try and look Leo up.

Lopez Music
Thanks. I doubt if there will be time to include a trip to Lopez Music. Although glancing at their website it looks like they have a lot of vintage stuff, which could be interesting. I won't ask you to contact Leo. If it works out we have a couple extra hours we'll just stop in. And your description of the Clapton concerts, "one of the worst.....one of the best" is largely a reflection of Clapton's life, isn't it? We are looking forward to seeing him again.