Giving Up

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Steve, all of us have been where you are and I think you'll find someone always ready to answer what ever question you may have, the guys here love helping out and no matter how basic the question you'll most likely get plenty of replies.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
First Steve you are contributing greatly by asking your questions. It not only elps you but it helps others who have the same questions but haven't posted them yet. It helps people like me because it makes us remember how or why we do things. I can tell you the more questions the more we all learn.
Now for your recording question. It is really a big question because there are so many options. Here are a couple that I use because I honestly try to keep every thing I do simple.Hey I still don't use pedals and can't remember when I change my amp settings. I have a mic that plugs into my computer and I record with the free software Audicity. The other thing I use (cause I am a simple man LOL) is a cassette recorder I have and just make cassettes. BTW, the Audicity route is easier to log and keep track of. I am sure some of the other guys will give some ideas as well....hell even I may learn something.

Fingerlick

The Thrill is Gone
I'm late on this as well, but the forum people are a loyal group and it will be found.
I have rheumatoid arthritis in my left hand; primarily in my thumb and I don't have the squared away reach I used to have. As a result I have learned to fret the chords a bit differently than normal. For example, I cannot do the standard shape for the G major chord.. Instead of using the first, middle and ring finger I fret the G chord with my middle finger on the third fret of the sixth string, ring finger on the second fret of the fifth string and my pinkie on the third fret of the first string. Kind of like a C chord shape. This allows my thumb and wrist to remain relaxed. Barre chords are a challenge as well, but we don't have to use them a lot in blues as there are alternatives. Having said that, the farther up the neck I play the less painful fretting is. One thing I know, I will not stop playing the blues or the guitar. My hand throbs after extended practice but I'll live with it for the joy I get from playing.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Steve, have you tried playing slide in open tuning?
It has it's frustrations as well, but very easy on the left hand.

If this is something you want to do, please don't give up.
I have seen videos of guys with no hands. playing guitar with their feet.
I have seen a quadriplegic play a keyboard with her tongue. It can be done , if you want it.

SteveB

Blues Newbie

I have seen a quadriplegic play a keyboard with her tongue. It can be done , if you want it.

SteveB

Blues Newbie