Gilmour - "Comfortably Numb" live session

PCM

Spring, Texas
Greetings @Griff and moderators,

I've been away for about 2 months but was able to catch up on the live session recordings in the last few days.

Great discussion regarding the key change (D to G) in the "Comfortably Numb" session.

The question I would have asked if I had been there live would be centered around the one note change (C#) when changing from D to G. Is that one note change when moving just a fourth the primary reason for the "fit" and "audio acceptance" when changing keys a fourth (or fifth) within a given song? It seems like it might be...less movement or fewer note changes when involving a key change may, in fact, be more in the songwriting world.

What say you gentlemen? When contemplating a key change within a song, is a "one key" movement around the circle (either direction...fourth or fifth) the first choice to try?

Thanks for reading,

P Maiers
Spring, TX .

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
If I'm understanding your question correctly, you're definitely on the right track.

I look at it as a change of mode, often, more than a change of key, and those types of movements usually involve just one note. For example, going from D Dorian to D Aeolian (or vice versa) will change only the B to Bb.

As you learn more songs, and analyze the progressions, you'll see what moves are common, and that particular move is not uncommon at all.

Does that help at all?

PCM

Spring, Texas
If I'm understanding your question correctly, you're definitely on the right track.

I look at it as a change of mode, often, more than a change of key, and those types of movements usually involve just one note. For example, going from D Dorian to D Aeolian (or vice versa) will change only the B to Bb.

As you learn more songs, and analyze the progressions, you'll see what moves are common, and that particular move is not uncommon at all.

Does that help at all?
It sure does! Thanks for responding.