Gig in November

jimatwell

Blues Newbie
It's a ways off still but I just hooked up with a "rock band program" at a local music studio where we get together to practice for two hours every Saturday morning for 9 weeks then perform somewhere in town probably in late November.  We'll probably be doing only three songs (so far it's The Weight by The Band and the Allman Brothers Melissa - third song TBD).  I'm hoping to suggest something blues based so I can take advantage of BGU and do some soloing.  

The group is not exactly what I was hoping for - two acoustic guitars plus me on electric plus a drummer (one of the other guitarists also plays bass we we'll use him on bass I think).  I was hoping for a more electric hard rocking thing, but this will be fun nonetheless.

Awhile back I had learned all the lead parts for Melissa so that will work well if I can pull it together - seems to be coming back pretty well so far in my initial practices.

Now to go through my iTunes library and sheet music to find something suitable to propose for our third song.  Hopefully I can find something suitable for electric and acoustic (any suggestions will be considered...)

Hopefully there will be some audio or video of the performance.  I'll keep you posted.

Jim

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
That's the way to get there. You now have a hard and fast date to shoot for. Keep us posted on your progress.
Mike

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
"Now to go through my iTunes library and sheet music to find something suitable to propose for our third song.  Hopefully I can find something suitable for electric and acoustic (any suggestions will be considered...)"
You might consider Dave Mason's "Only You Know and I Know " off his "Alone Together" Album.
It's uptempo with some great acoustic and electric guitar riffs.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
A song that my band has picked up real easy is CCR's "Fortunate Son".  The vocals have to be good or it won't work, but the music is pretty easy and it is a cool groove.

johnc

systematic
That will be great Jim no matter what the music style, just embrace the opportunity to get up there and do it. I did similar things to try and get confidence to get up and play guitar in public and it was a huge benefit and totally enjoyed the experience, be it scary at the time.  I always found the audience at these events great and ever so supportive of each other.
I wish you well with it.

I

IrishRover

Jim,

Wish I lived just a little bit closer so I could come to see, and root you on.....since you are from the forum I know you'll have a great time.

jimatwell

Blues Newbie
So the date has been set - November 21st is the big night for the show.  We've had four rehersals with five more to go and things are shaping up.  We're working on three songs (The Weight, Melissa, and a tune I had never heard of before, Bad Reputation by Freedy Johnston) with a fourth to be determined.  I'm hoping for a real rocker we can just burn through but we will likely end up with something a bit more like the tunes we're already doing based on the guys in the group.  We have a drummer (one of the studio's instructors is filling that role), myself on electric guitar, and three acoustic guitars (two of the acoustic players will be sharing bass duties so we're not too heavy on acoustic).  Luckily a couple of the other guys sing but it looks like I may get pressed into service singing one of the verses of The Weight.  I've been using the major pentatonic to work out some licks and fills for The Weight. Melissa is based on the E Major pentatonic, and the third song I've been working out some fills using the E Minor pentatonic, so even though these aren't strictly blues songs the BGU material has come in handy.  I've also been taking a few lessons at the studio that is doing this band thing just to get some extra one on one time to help work out my parts (solo 6 will have to wait until all this is done...).  I plan to record the event with my TASCAM digital recorder, but I'm hoping the studio will do something a little more high tech.  Great fun so far - I'll keep you posted.  

Jim

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
That's just too cool Jim. Can't wait to hear you guys. You may want to suggest something by Tom Petty. The jam group I'm playing with is working on You Wreck Me, and it would fit right into your idea of a rocker and it's pretty easy chord wise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zork5Z63jk
Mike

jimatwell

Blues Newbie
That's a good suggestion Mike.  Earlier on somebody had suggested a Petty tune.  I just emailed that one to the group for their thoughts - thanks.

Jim

GRUMPY

Blues Newbie
Jim; That  Tom Petty song that Mike put up from you tube sounds pretty cool, it sounds like 3 chords through the whole song, that would great for the other guitar players, and you a solo in the middle. Just a thought. Anyway what ever you do I am sure it will be great. If I had the time off work I could come see you. GRUMPY.  ;)

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
Jim,

I was thinking of you and your band adventure just yesterday. I'm glad you published an update. It sounds like things are shaping up really well.

Dave

jimatwell

Blues Newbie
Figured I'd post an update in case anybody is interested.  Just three more official practices until our Nov 21st date, including one on the day of the show.  Yikes.  It's going well so far but we'll probably do a few more with just the band (without the two "band coaches" from the studio) just to be safe.  Here's our setlist:

Melissa - my role is the Dickie Betts electric parts.  Pretty much copying the album version based on some sheet music I had.  I am working out a solo that differs from the album version for the outro (the fade-out from the album version).  That tune is lots of fun.

The Weight - I'm doing licks and fills over the acoustic guitars on this tune.  We may end up scrapping this one and replacing it with "Ride the River" from the JJ Cale/Eric Clapton album The Road to Escondito.  We'll sort that out on Saturday.

Bad Reputation (Freedy Johnston) - More licks and fills with  short solo on this one.  A tune I was not familiar with before but a catchy tune.

The final tune we picked a few weeks ago is "1 2 3 4" by the Plain White Tee's.  A little bubblegum pop sounding for me but another catchy tune nonetheless.  I'm playing bass on this one (just a very simple bass line consisting of the root notes of the chords).  

The whole process has been a lot of fun - I've met a few great guys and the two instructors that are assigned to us have provided lots of valuable info about playing as a band (different from sitting alone with a guitar and backing track).   Especially fun playing with a guitar and bass in the mix.  I'm not too nervous yet because things are coming together pretty well and I'm spending a lot of time on my parts, but I'm sure that will all change on the 21st.  I understand that it's being taped (video and audio).  I'll post something up at the end of the month.

Jim

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Can't wait to hear /see it Jim. That sounds like a blast. Do you think you will try to do something long term with your band mates?
Keep us in the loop.
Mike

jimatwell

Blues Newbie
There was talk of maybe doing a local open mic night at a little arts center nearby - we'll have to see how we stack up.  The catch phrase for our show is "are you better than a 5th grader" because that's what we're up against on the 21st, a bunch of kids bands.  

One of the guys in the group has a semi-regular jam session at his house that I'm hoping to get in on as well.  Looks mostly acoustic (based on a recent write-up of his jam in a local magazine) so I'll have to figure out if I can go electric without ruining the vibe.  If I'm invited, that is.

L

Lame_Pinky

What , you're not going to do 'Louie Louie (ay ) ' ?
Man thats just not good enough !

LP  - Oh Yeah baby and they way to go

ps considering the few injuries to members recently I am not going to say " break a leg " hope it goes well & most importantly you have a good time.

ihorowitz

Blues Newbie
Jim

can't wait to hear the full report.  I know where you're comin form on the "better than a 5th grader front."  Most of my gigs (other than my basement or backyard) were talent shows at the HS I teach at.  Still- had a great time.  And that Plain White T's tune, is a great little ditty- play it for my son all the time (he's only 8 mos old so he hasn't developed musical taste yet).

you're going to have a great time & it sounds like a great bunch of guys to play with.