Get it off of you chest! Yannow ya want to. lol

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I was following a car around an uphill curve a couple of weeks ago while a motorcycle coming from the opposite direction was riding right on the lane line. What was left of the rider after he hit the car ahead head-on slid to a stop next to my car. Granted, I don't know of any riders who would have done that on a curvy road but it made me stop and think.

we were coming up palomar mountain a few years ago when that exact same thing happened, my club and I helped to try and keep the guy alive untl EMS got there

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
we were coming up palomar mountain a few years ago when that exact same thing happened, my club and I helped to try and keep the guy alive untl EMS got there
In 1974 my wife and I were visiting friends in Vista, went to Escondido, and took the road through Valley Center to 76, etc. The purpose of the trip was to visit Mt. Palomar Observatory. I remember the road was very crooked! We got there and I bought a set of slides that were taken from the 100 “ telescope.

I showed those slides to my astronomy class and our teacher said: “Those are golly gee whiz slides. They have so many colors”! I reminded the teacher that scientists used those colors to determine the composition and gasses of the stars and planets under observation. Finally, the teacher agreed.

When I was 8 years old, my dad got called up to report to the Korean War on September 12th, 1950. He reported to Camp Pendleton, and ended up deserting our family. We never heard from him again. For years I tried to find out whatever I could about him. Then I found out he passed away in October of 1999. He lived in Valley Center and I drove past his house! To this day that is a strange feeling. I did get to meet his third wife and step daughter. They were very nice people.

World War II did not help my dad nor did Korea. Of the 120 man Marine Corp company that my dad was a part of, 3 men survived Okinawa (April 1 to June 15, 1945). Dad became an alcoholic, and it only got worse with time. His third wife told me that he drank a bottle of rum every day. The day he died he drank his bottle in less than one hour and his heart stopped. He was a few days from being 80, and had no medical issues except for the alcohol.

Tom

Fingerlick

The Thrill is Gone
In 1974 my wife and I were visiting friends in Vista, went to Escondido, and took the road through Valley Center to 76, etc. The purpose of the trip was to visit Mt. Palomar Observatory. I remember the road was very crooked! We got there and I bought a set of slides that were taken from the 100 “ telescope.

I showed those slides to my astronomy class and our teacher said: “Those are golly gee whiz slides. They have so many colors”! I reminded the teacher that scientists used those colors to determine the composition and gasses of the stars and planets under observation. Finally, the teacher agreed.

When I was 8 years old, my dad got called up to report to the Korean War on September 12th, 1950. He reported to Camp Pendleton, and ended up deserting our family. We never heard from him again. For years I tried to find out whatever I could about him. Then I found out he passed away in October of 1999. He lived in Valley Center and I drove past his house! To this day that is a strange feeling. I did get to meet his third wife and step daughter. They were very nice people.

World War II did not help my dad nor did Korea. Of the 120 man Marine Corp company that my dad was a part of, 3 men survived Okinawa (April 1 to June 15, 1945). Dad became an alcoholic, and it only got worse with time. His third wife told me that he drank a bottle of rum every day. The day he died he drank his bottle in less than one hour and his heart stopped. He was a few days from being 80, and had no medical issues except for the alcohol.

Tom

Tom I truly empathize with you. Your father had what we call PTSD today. Shell shock during WW II and Korea.
I am able to truly empathize because my own PTSD is rated as chronic and scales off the charts in a psych workup.
I am thankful for guitars and music. It's always a challenge to get it right and keeps me focused on the positives. If I start going down I head for one of my guitars a b d another song/solo to learn.
I am very sorry the war robbed you and your family of your father.
Dale

Ed_zeppelin

Blues Newbie
When I see a motorcyclist splitting lanes and going between cars, I think "there goes a dolt that's just asking for it". All it would take is some redneck opening his door to spit out his chew or some pickup with West Coast mirrors wandering too close to the other lane. If a motor cop does it, there goes one motor cop with a short life expectancy.
I'm not a dolt, and I'm not asking for anything fyi. I'll just consider the source.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Tom I truly empathize with you. Your father had what we call PTSD today. Shell shock during WW II and Korea.
I am able to truly empathize because my own PTSD is rated as chronic and scales off the charts in a psych workup.
I am thankful for guitars and music. It's always a challenge to get it right and keeps me focused on the positives. If I start going down I head for one of my guitars a b d another song/solo to learn.
I am very sorry the war robbed you and your family of your father.
Dale
Thank you Dale.

From what I learned from my dad's second and third families, he did us a favor by leaving! I was so lucky to have a grandfather who is my Super Hero!

I received my Honorable Discharge on Friday the 13th, October 1967. From the time I joined the Military, we were instructed to memorize 10 Security Instructions. If you were captured you gave name, rank and serial number. No one was allowed to have an excuse about combat related issues. It was not recognized, and once you entered civilian live, not diagnosed. The VA was indifferent to any one who exhibited such a condition. Keep a stiff upper lip and keep on moving.

Agent Orange was not recognized as a health issue until 1991. The emphasis was on the Vietnam Vets who had cancer, and the many health issues related to Dioxin. The VA did nothing until 1991 on that issue. Millions of Vietnamese have serious health issues today because of this but they are not to be considered.

The guys I knew from WWII were very quiet and did not talk about their experiences. Some drank a lot! I knew guys who had as many as 5 tours in Vietnam. They were the most screwed up humans I ever met! Imagine the GI's today who serve 10 tours in Afghanistan?

We had a lot of expressions. One was, “Reenlist and enjoy the benefits”!

My dad enlisted in the Marine Corp when he was 17, in 1937. He was stationed in Shanghai, China, 1938-39. He took lots of pictures and I always enjoyed looking at them. Dad wrote many letters to mom, which I still have. Some were very funny about things that happened in the Pacific during the War. I have a lot of respect for the Marines of WWII.

When it comes to the Marines of the Vietnam Era, I have no respect! World War II Marines said,
“Semper Fidelis” (Always Faithful) Vietnam Era Marines shortened it to “Semper Fi”. I lost a lot of friends because of the Marines running the other way (cut a chogie) and leaving us alone. I had better not get started along that path. There are those who think they know, who had no experience, and those that know.

My advice to the world is to not have war. But who wants to listen? We glorify our wars and then immediately forget those who fought for us. Today all GI's are called, “HEROS” by the media! Please! To me that is so offensive. The VA hits the news sometimes but no positive and continuous improvement occurs when it comes to helping vets who need assistance be it medical or otherwise.

We had a first sergeant who was a SOB. You would think you were in Basic Training, during maneuvers. He did not last long. The troops drove him crazy and he actually went to the states in a straight jacket.

The good old days. “Reenlist and enjoy the benefits”!

Tom

Fingerlick

The Thrill is Gone
Tom, I and my spotter were on a mission in the A Shau when a tanker came over and sprayed the area with orange. That's what it was called over there. The VA tagged it Agent Orange I believe. Both of us were soaked to the skin with that chemical. Nasty stuff. It would be four days wearing those jungle fatigues into we got back. I have 3 health conditions directly classified as caused by exposure to dioxin. I guess four now since my heart condition is esthimic. I have been tested and there are still markers in my system that validate my exposure.
I have no idea what will be the next thing. It's a real bummer.
Dale

david moon

Attempting the Blues
My issue with (some) motorcyclists was excessive speed along with lane changing, passing on the right, etc.They come out of nowhere and startle you.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Okay, people who wait in freaking line..........for like 3 to 5 minutes, then get to the front, and have no clue what to order ..........Its like geeeez, you couldnt look t the dang menu board while waiting.

Then they re like ummmmmmm, well, uhhhhhhh could I have the cheeseburger deluxe, but ummmmm, like ummmmmm no meat, and ummmm, well no cheese, and oh, is the bun gluten free ? ......no, then uhhhh no bun.

Okay, that leaves the lettuce and tomato, you just ordered a salad..................yes,this happened today
I was left shaking my head today behind one of these people. I grabbed lunch at the arches today. Not because I'm a fan but because they were the closest thing with a drive-thru and I was elbow deep in a project when I decided I was absolutely starving. Pulled up in line behind a lady who, after just having sat in front of the first menu board for a couple of minutes, pulled up to the speaker. When asked what she would like, her response was "hang on because I need to see what you have on the menu." Everybody knows that it's the arches, so you get a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, or a Happy Meal. Then you either supersize it or not. And then you tell them what kind of drink you want. It's not difficult.

A full 2 minutes later (I realize that's only 120 seconds, but that's an eternity of silence sitting behind someone at the drive-thru speaker) the lady orders a medium coffee with 6 creams and 5 sugars. Nothing else. Really?!? Between the two menu boards it took you 5 minutes to order a coffee?!?

I just don't get it sometimes. Next time I'll drive a little further and hit the Taco Cabana. :cool:

Boysie

Just for fun
My issue with (some) motorcyclists was excessive speed along with lane changing, passing on the right, etc.They come out of nowhere and startle you.
Perhaps you should be more aware of what's going on around you when you're driving.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Perhaps you should be more aware of what's going on around you when you're driving.

Where I would agree with Mr. Moon on this one, and for the record, I have been on motorcycles about 40 years, dirt, track , crotch rocket, cruiser.

Yeah, many of my brethren ride like complete buttholes. Especially in California where lane splitting is legal. I have watched them shoot from one lane to another, and if a vehicle is switching lanes......the car has zero time to react.

I have watched morons ride in blind spots.......it's not always the cagers. Yes, there are lousy drivers, but, "be more aware of your surroundings," well on a high powered bike, those surroundings can change in a split second. I know most bikers like to always blame cars, but the reality..............we have to take a ton of blame on ourselves

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
When I lived in Phoenix and commuted daily on my bike, I had a mantra I would recite three times every time I threw a leg over it ... "Every driver out there has one goal in life and that is to kill me". I took every defensive riding course I could find. I use those habits even when driving in a car. No, it's not always the cagers ... usually it's the rider's own fault.
Staying out of blind spots is at the top of the list ... and that means paying attention. (and you can't split lanes without going from one blind spot to another).
Never tailgate. Never allow anyone to tailgate you ... if need be, slow down and force them to go around you.
If you wouldn't do it in your car, don't do it on your bike.
How many times have you heard "they turned right in front of me"? I have sat across an intersection at a red light with a car on the other side going the opposite direction. No blinker on. Looking right at me. Light turns green and they turn right in front of me. My rule: pay no attention to where they are looking, pay no attention to their blinker ... watch that inside front tire for any indication they might turn. A cage driver can look right at a motorcycle and not even register that it's another vehicle.
If someone T-bones you, it's your fault ... for not paying attention. So they ran a red light ... still your fault for not looking and seeing them coming.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
yep, people always think its weird I ride, and dont always take the bikers side.......but, I have seen stupidity on both sides of the equation. As a buddy of mine always says, I can be right all day long, and still be a gooey spot on the highway.

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
This thread gives me a lot of room for thought! I guess I'm in the grumpy old man club, but at almost 62, have mellowed a bit.

Things that really annoy me:

1. People parking in handicapped spaces when they don't have the proper hang tag or license plate. (I'm one of the ones that do have the tag & plate)
2. Wal Mart or Kroger or pick your favorite shopping site, during a busy period with lots of people trying to check out with only 2 or 3 registers open. Always yell, where's the manager. :rolleyes:
3. Women during menopause. My wife was a monster at times, the dog and I didn't stand a chance. Hope she's not looking now. :whistle:
4. Robo solicitation calls, or any human solicitor that calls more than once after I told them I was not interested and take me off their call list.
5. Me, 50% of the time. (y) Here's the dialog when that occurs: me, "Moron!". me back, "Putz!" :D

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
You guys ever play "bug slug" with your kids?

Along those lines, how about "Bingo" - where the kids get a "point" (but no slugging) for spotting a yellow vehicle?

I invented a similar game called "Zip" where the kids get a point for spotting a motorcycle. Yes, parked counts but the point is to make the kids aware of motorcycles and always on the lookout for them. My adult kids say they still look for motorcycles.

Pass it on... :)

Kevin

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
This thread gives me a lot of room for thought! I guess I'm in the grumpy old man club, but at almost 62, have mellowed a bit.

Things that really annoy me:

5. Me, 50% of the time. (y) Here's the dialog when that occurs: me, "Moron!". me back, "Putz!" :D

Who wins? :D