General question

WarrenHummel

Blues Newbie
Hi have not been on here in some time as i had surgery on my right wrist in july and really messed with the guitar playing . I have the Acoustic blues course which was really getting into , The question i have can anyone reccommend any kind of excersises that would help me get the wrist back in shape As we all have alot of time on our hands and not supposed to be out and about , think it would be a great time for me to try to get the wrist back in shape Thanks for the help , Warren

Shodai

Blues Junior
I would suggest, first of all, check with your doctor. I'd hate for you to do some sort of exercise that is inappropriate, and ends up compounding your injury, or prolonging your recovery.

I have recurring tendinitis in my left wrist. And I have some exercises that I've used when it flares up. But, again, I'd hate to suggest something that makes things worse.

Call your doctor.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yea as Shodai said, check with your doctor/physical therapist first, but I'd say (assuming that you are right handed, so strumming with your right hand) any picking &/or strumming that you do will help as long as you stop before it turns to pain.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I don't know if you are working with a physical therapist or not. If you are, ask for advice there as well. Sometimes they know more than the doctors when it comes to issues of recovery techniques.
When you do return to strumming, if you use a pick, start out with a very soft, pliable pick that will absorb more of the energy of hitting the strings, and gradually move towards stiffer picks as you are able to do so without discomfort.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
You should call your doctor as several have stated!

You might look into this item:

https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Grip-Exerciser-Light-Tension/dp/B00SKTG2Y6?th=1

Playing guitar since 1952 is something I have loved to do. I did injure my wrist a few years ago and found the Fender Grip to be so much better than the other ones I have.

Should your doctor approve of this type of exercise, here is a suggestion:

Start with 5 reps once a day by doing the following:

Hold the exerciser in your hand with the palm facing upward and do your reps.

Rotate the wrist 90 degrees inward and do your reps.

Rotate the wrist 90 degrees inward and do your reps.

Rotate the wrist 90 degrees inward (your palm will now be facing toward the floor) and do your reps.

Then remove the hand exerciser and gently shake the fingers by slightly extending the hand in front of you. Shake the fingers for 20 reps.

The ultimate goal is to build up to 25 reps in all four positions. Take your time. Add one rep every 2 or 3 days until you achieve the goal of 25.

If at any time you experience pain - stop! The body will tell you when you have done something wrong.

It is hard to find a good doctor or physical therapist, speaking from experience.

Tom