1. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

Hey Griff do you use a plain G 3rd string on your Dobro or is it a wound string ? I saw where you mentioned that you use resophonic strings as I do too (D'Addario's) but I replaced the wound 3rd with a plain 3rd , I think its .024 (this is on my Tanglewood) just gives it a smoother sliding sound, which I think you need for the all metal body resonators, thanks.

LP

2. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

So I'm guessing this is one of those "real hard" questions huh ?

LP

3. panther

panther Blues Newbie

It depends on what your slide is made out of.
    Well it sounded reasonable anyhow.
    Dan

4. piebaldpython

piebaldpython Blues Newbie

An unwound 3rd string cuts down on string noise.  Some guys who are really serious about their slide playing use only flatwound strings for the same reason.

5. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

IF you want to be sure that Griff sees your question PM him. He doesn't have time to troll all the posts every day like the rest of us.

BTW, GC really disappointed me today when I went to get a set of the resophonics and they were out of stock.

6. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

Try Amazon Mike probably the best range you'll find on one page

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=resophonic+strings

LP

7. MikeR

MikeR Guitar Challenged
    Staff Member

You can check online first to see if they have it, but it's almost a given that the one near me never has what I'm looking for.  Most of the time (unless there's free shipping to my home) I just have to have the item shipped to the store where I can pick it up. 

I've got the opposite problem as you Mike.  I've got a set of resophonics coming in the mail today, but I won't have the guitar until Tuesday.   :(

8. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

I seem to remember someone mentioning that Giff uses the Resophonic 13's but all I can find on line are 16's. Think it will make much difference?

9. MikeR

MikeR Guitar Challenged
    Staff Member

In the Delta Blues manual, Griff says he's using D'Addario Resophonics 16-56 on his resonator.  He also says he's used 13s and they were fine.

10. puakodiverdan

puakodiverdan Blues Newbie

I saw on the Delta Blues Slide disk he said he had 16s on there.