FYI: Soloing Without Scales 2.0 now available

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Hi All,

My apologies for being out the last couple of days, I haven't been able to get into this thread and catch up on stuff.

I will definitely work on getting these corrections taken care of and uploaded tomorrow so that the digital version is correct and if the DVDs and/or printed manual are wrong I'll work on a correction for those that can be delivered along with them.

Thanks for letting me know of the issues so I can get the resolved quickly. It's amazing how many times I go through things and it all looks correct, then somehow things go wrong from there :mad:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Finished up the course from Lessons 12-18, checking out the differences in the 2 versions.

Again, for the remaining solos you will find “minor” differences in slides, hammer-ons, bends, etc. and these will be apparent when you compare the new "on-screen" tab to the tab in the 1.0 manual.

Solo 5, Slow blues, has a “different” ending in 2.0, starting from measure 51.

Lesson 14, the “tweak”, Griff first demonstrates in D from the 4th string root, rather than the 3rd string as in the upper fretboard diagram in the 1.0 manual, p. 82.

For Examples 59-61: In 1.0 (p.83) Ex 60 is a “variation” of 59. In 2.0, Ex 61 is a variation on Ex 60.

Lesson 16, BB3, Griff has added a 6 minute discussion of Major/minor to the beginning of the video.

That’s it.

@Griff : Summary of "Major" revisions needed:unsure::

Video: Lesson 11-Solo 3 : demo is of Solo 2.

Manual: Lesson 9-Solo 2 : needs page 47 with tab for licks 10-12

Lesson 13 : Solo 4 : needs the complete tab.

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
If I may also point out, @Griff , the MP4 download zip file has all of the solo breakdowns, but does not include the slow and full speed play throughs.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
At this point I believe all digital versions have been fixed:

1 - Manual has correct Solo 4 and Solo 2 had some of solo 3 for one page, both are corrected.
2 - MP4 Download bundle should have all videos
3 - Lesson 11 now has correct video demo at the top.

Obviously the physical versions are printed and cannot be changed after the fact. The video isn't a big deal since the playthroughs occur later on the same disk, but the manual is a problem. I may elect to reprint them all instead of printing an addendum with the corrections :(

Bob630

Blues Newbe

1 - Manual has correct Solo 4 and Solo 2 had some of solo 3 for one page, both are corrected.

Obviously the physical versions are printed and cannot be changed after the fact. The video isn't a big deal since the playthroughs occur later on the same disk, but the manual is a problem. I may elect to reprint them all instead of printing an addendum with the corrections :(
I purchased the new SWS manual last week. If you choose to reprint the manual , will it be replaced?

ervjohns

Blues Junior

Thanks Griff, you the man :)

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Great course BTW.I hadn't worked on it until recently. Between this and doing the flashcards, I'm seeing the fretboard much better. Working on solo #3 in F, the forgotten key. Am I the only one that thinks F is pretty cool? :rolleyes::D

Shodai

Blues Junior
I only recently got this course, after all these years, so I can not compare against any previous version.
I would think that, since I only got the course about two weeks ago (DVD/print version) that it had the corrected printed materials.
Anyway, like I said, after all these years I finally got the course... No idea why I waited so long. As usual, a masterful presentation. This course will be a game changer for me, I think.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Griff
At some point will the DVD's with Manual be available for us ?
leftymike

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like it is available now.
I have the All Access Pass and the course I see looks like the new version. To me this means that if you order the course you will get the new version.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
When Griff did the upgrade he made the new printed manual available for order for previous owners on the course intro page.

(The same "magic" buttons that appear below the audio player when you redeem a Golden Ticket.)

He hasn't, as yet, made just the DVDs available.

I purchased the printed manual and would have gotten the DVDs as well if they had been available.

@leftymike01 Maybe if you message him directly he'll fix you up.

Last edited:

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
I have send that question to him a couple weeks ago no response yet
I have the first version ,would prefer the newer one
Leftymike

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
All Access Pass is of no benefit in this case. Griff updated the online/downloadable video and offered the new printed manual to all owners of the original course.

Try the help desk about ordering the new DVDs. Can't hurt.