Future topic for consideration

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
After listening to some of the recordings in this month's challenge one thing Griff mentioned from them was the use of chord voicing's in some of the submissions. This is a topic I would be interested in knowing more about and implementing in my own playing. Something like "using alternate chord voicing's in your rhythm and solo's."

Dennis

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
That kind of gets back to the inquiries about triads and chord inversions and using them to comp!

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I think I must not be understanding exactly what y'all are looking for with this. Can you point me to a musical example via the YouTubes?

We've talked about triads and comping in a previous session, and I'm happy to do more I just don't understand the direction to take. Clearly there is a sound you're looking for, and I'm happy to show you how to get it, but I don't yet grasp what it is.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
This would be a start, basically using different triads as opposed to barre or open chords as mini chords to contrast another guitar or comp in a band, I've even seen some nice playing using triads and an added bass notes on solo guitar, Dave Matthews comes to mind, holding a triad or diad and walking the bass notes

https://youtu.be/DXm0fP-cKKE

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Haven't seen or heard what you all are discussing with regard to Griff's instruction / commentary, but from what I'm hearing from you... I could look at this in a number of ways.

Is he suggesting different chord choices:
  • To avoid playing over another player, or maybe the backing track? In which case, you'd be looking to either play in a different position, or within the higher or lower range of the same position (I'm thinking CAGED here)? And really these might be inversions too.
  • To add some rhythmic variation or spice, which could go to jumping between triads and double stops to outline a chord. Thinking Hendrix or more specifically because it was the first example I learned: Funk 49 from The James Gang
  • To add additional harmonic interest, ie, 7ths and 9ths?
Or am I completely off base?