Fun question--at least for me

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
Do ya'll have names for your guitars? (this westerner has to practice his southern speech) I do: there's Sassy my LP Special, Martina the D35, China the Xaviere, and Red the modded strat. And yea, I talk to them. But, I also slap my fingers when they go rogue. What did you expect from a crazy old hippie?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I normally don't, but one exception was a Gibson SG Zoot Suit that I used to own. It was red and blue and nickname Spiderman. That has been given away and the new owner still calls it Spiderman.

I just put together the "Fuzzy Pink Strat," as I call it. My buddy @Crossroads has nicknamed it the Vaginacaster. Not sure I'm ready to sign on to that one.
FuzzyPinkStrat-new.jpg

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I just named my first guitar (PRS custom) Flame. Because the paint job is Flames on the lower and Budweiser in Flames on the upper. the rest are not named.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
A few of mine have names, I tend to name the acoustics with feminine names and the electrics masculine, no reason why just happened that way.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I have a couple that I call P.O.S. but most of them remain nameless.
The four in my avatar came with names. They are, at the top, Way Out West, next one down, Sundown Serenade, bottom left, Wild West Sweethearts and bottom right, The Showdown.
The rest go by the moniker on the head stock. Epi, Gibby, tele, strat, LP, sg or some variation of that for duplicates.
My imagination does not extend much past first position chords.....still.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Three of mine have names.

My #1 guitar is my Epiphone LP Custom which I have come to refer to simply as "Epi".

My transparent blue Strat is called "Sapphire".

And my cherry red Epiphone 335 is called "Big Red".

I have another Strat knockoff and three acoustics which are nameless, but are still part of the family nonetheless. :)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
A few of them. My PRS acoustic I call Rose, the 339 is named Corbie (and has a truss rod cover to match), and the Yamaha is Air Guitar. My PRS bass (that maybe one day I will actually spend some time learning to play) I call Boozoo.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
I normally don't, but one exception was a Gibson SG Zoot Suit that I used to own. It was red and blue and nickname Spiderman. That has been given away and the new owner still calls it Spiderman.

I just put together the "Fuzzy Pink Strat," as I call it. My buddy @Crossroads has nicknamed it the Vaginacaster. Not sure I'm ready to sign on to that one.
FuzzyPinkStrat-new.jpg

Crossroads should get a trophy for that one!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I used to name them all, but then got to where I just wasn't doing it anymore. I've got
  • Marty McFly - Martin D35
  • Jay R'ee - the Strat I bought to impress Mrs Snarf before we were even dating (I jokingly named it after her, but the name stuck 2 weeks later when I finally asked her out.)
  • Cali - the first MIA Strat I got. It's a Hwy One.
  • Big O - the big orange Gretsch
  • El Sol - the Boulder Creek Solitaire
  • Ol' Blue - the LP (it's blue)
  • Taco - the Tacoma Chief
  • Tak - the classical Takamine
  • Corona - the ADE Strat I put together and ordered when I toured the Fender factory
  • Carol - the Parker. Named after a friend of my sister...the only person I've known with the last name of Parker. So it kind of fit.
After those, the names just kind of turned into a description of the guitar...the surf green Strat, the 335, the 339, the Hendrix Strat, etc.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I used to name them all, but then got to where I just wasn't doing it anymore. I've got
  • Marty McFly - Martin D35
  • Jay R'ee - the Strat I bought to impress Mrs Snarf before we were even dating (I jokingly named it after her, but the name stuck 2 weeks later when I finally asked her out.)
  • Cali - the first MIA Strat I got. It's a Hwy One.
  • Big O - the big orange Gretsch
  • El Sol - the Boulder Creek Solitaire
  • Ol' Blue - the LP (it's blue)
  • Taco - the Tacoma Chief
  • Tak - the classical Takamine
  • Corona - the ADE Strat I put together and ordered when I toured the Fender factory
  • Carol - the Parker. Named after a friend of my sister...the only person I've known with the last name of Parker. So it kind of fit.
After those, the names just kind of turned into a description of the guitar...the surf green Strat, the 335, the 339, the Hendrix Strat, etc.

Awesome names snarf! You've inspired me. ;)
I have a big orange Gretsch 5120 that from this day on will be known as "The Donald". :thumbup: