Full Out Blues

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
I guess a lot have you have got past this lesson - did anyone else find it a bit of a road block? I'm almost there now & hope to get a recording soon but although it's only the second piece I've found it has made me stop & review everything else I'd tried up to now and try correct some of my errors and assumptions. I've found an interest in some of the theory, learnt a little about notation & can actually call out the beats to the bar as I play it for the first time. Each of these things has slowed me down or made me start over. I'm hoping that it's a positive step towards playing in general, just wondered if it's me or did most of you find that this was a 'stop & think' piece.

I guess I'm a bit concerned that if I was stopped in my tracks this early in the course that maybe I'm going to struggle when it gets harder!

I

IrishRover

Ray, I think the Full Out Blues is just the next plateau so it has taken a little longer.  I'm just about ready to post it myself so I know just what you mean but in looking ahead in the lessons I can see a pattern where Griff introduces two or three new concepts and then puts them into the next song.  I remember all the work on Sitting Easy Blues and how hard I thought it was and now I'm using it as part of my warm-up and not thinking twice about it.  We're growing, my friend, and Griff is making us grow.

Russ

Blues Newbie
I do the same thing with BBG's 1st 4 licks. I thought they were frustrating at first because I didn't get the time to practice them consistantly (basically relearning them each time). Now I use them as a warm up. It's funny what can become easy when you let them sit for a while. ;)

J

jhagan421

Ray, I think you are dead balls on accurate - it is WAY harder than sittin easy - in the other hand the baby chords give me fits.  the thing is as we get past a "song" and move on we've gotten better.  The next few lessons after Full Out are strumming and new chords, another milestone and another notch in the gun belt.  We will all find some lessons harder than others.  My bet (and my sincere hope) is that after a while the skills and the understanding will overtake the complexity of the arrangements.  Griff often says in the videos Hey, don't worry about that, or that's not such a big deal.  You know what, I think we are all going a bit above and beyond to learn on our own the tedium that many teachers would try to push push push and that would be frustrating instead of fun.

Chalk up another one to the system.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks guys - there's nothing like being able to share the journey is there? The course is great & being able to talk to you guys who are doing the exact same thing is both encouraging & reassuring :)

johnc

systematic
Ray it is good that you are discussing this.  Because if you are finding certain parts slowing you down and difficult it just means that you are working on it.   That also means that you will do it.

Everyone has different stumbling blocks too, so don't worry if you have trouble with something that others are OK with, because it will the the other way around at times.   Everyone has their own challenges.

The idea that if it's getting hard now, "how am I going to cope with the more advanced lessons" is not a reality.  The whole learning is a progressive building block thing and yes if you try the advanced stuff now you will really struggle but when you practice and gather your skills and knowlege along the way it will just be a normal struggle when you get there.

You will be fine if you put the work in :)

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Many thanks John - that makes good sense and it really helps to hear it from you guys that have been there.

J

jhagan421

Right on john
You said what i was getting at but you made it read a lot gooder ;)