Frampton Going Down Slow Transcription

sams0510

Blues Newbie
Hello, Sam here from Alexandria, VA. First ever post. Been doing Griff's courses for many years now, I think I signed up for the all-access pass when it was first offered. I've learned a ton, including how to count and figure out timing for most situations. With software to slow things down and loop I can now figure out how to play tons of good blues songs.

I'm hooked on Peter Frampton's All Blues album. If you haven't heard it you need to. I've been working on learning several songs - his instrumental of Georgia (which is amazing), She Caught the Katy, and Going Down Slow. I recently bought Guitar Pro 7 and started goofing around with transcribing so I don't have to memorize everything. Here is one of my first complete works, for Going Down Slow. Thought I'd throw this out there, see if anybody finds it useful, request feedback on where I messed up, etc. I think I'm pretty close, some of the parts with two guitars were hard to figure out.

I have the Guitar Pro file I can share if anybody wants it - might be fun to build from it and add bass and drums. I tried to upload but I don't think this site will accept GP file extensions.

Anyway, shout out to Griff - I could never have imagined I'd be able to figure this out back when I started this journey. Hope to hear from people if you find this useful and definitely welcome any suggested changes.

Sam

Attachments

• Sam's Going Down Slow.pdf
    771.2 KB · Views: 67

ervjohns

Blues Junior
Hi Sam

that’s quite a piece of transcribing, I am not familiar with that song but I too have GP and would be interested in your GP formatted file. Although you can’t post those to the forum, you can use DropBox or another intermediate storage site and just post the link in the forum. Good work!

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Looks good Sam! If you have AAP, Griff did a lesson on Going Down Slow by Kossoff / Free about a year ago that you might want to check out as well. But Frampton's album is great, essential blues imho.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
7-7-2020 Paul Kossoff lesson under Technique. He also does The Hunter in that session.

sams0510

Blues Newbie
Awesome. Let me know where I messed up or if you figure out a better way to finger any parts (definitely in the the second guitar solo, that was tricky).

ervjohns

Blues Junior
So, does the transcript include all solos, intro, main solo, outro, and other stuff. I found the song on iTunes in the All Blues album but I was having trouble following the tab. I don’t think the main solo was 6 pages long?

sams0510

Blues Newbie
It's the entire song. Intro (from the "5"), 12-bar two verses, 12-bar solo (starting at measure 30), two more 12-bar verses, 2nd 12-bar solo (starts at measure 63, with measure 66 as the start of the 12-bars), final verse.

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
Hello, Sam here from Alexandria, VA. First ever post. Been doing Griff's courses for many years now, I think I signed up for the all-access pass when it was first offered. I've learned a ton, including how to count and figure out timing for most situations. With software to slow things down and loop I can now figure out how to play tons of good blues songs.

I'm hooked on Peter Frampton's All Blues album. If you haven't heard it you need to. I've been working on learning several songs - his instrumental of Georgia (which is amazing), She Caught the Katy, and Going Down Slow. I recently bought Guitar Pro 7 and started goofing around with transcribing so I don't have to memorize everything. Here is one of my first complete works, for Going Down Slow. Thought I'd throw this out there, see if anybody finds it useful, request feedback on where I messed up, etc. I think I'm pretty close, some of the parts with two guitars were hard to figure out.

I have the Guitar Pro file I can share if anybody wants it - might be fun to build from it and add bass and drums. I tried to upload but I don't think this site will accept GP file extensions.

Anyway, shout out to Griff - I could never have imagined I'd be able to figure this out back when I started this journey. Hope to hear from people if you find this useful and definitely welcome any suggested changes.

Sam
I am with you 100% on that album and song, thank you so much!

Mike9874

Blues Newbie

Sam

Sam - you did an amazing job on this transcription.. Congratulations! Have you transcribed anything else from this album?

Mike

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I’ve heard it said by Griff and Justin Sandercoe that transcribing songs is one of the best things you can do for developing your ear and other things. Well done!!

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Hey Sam...good stuff. I haven't thought about Peter Frampton in years. Great album.
I just bought it. Thanks for posting your transcription. There is some good stuff in there.

Last edited:

sams0510

Blues Newbie
Mike and all, thanks for the feedback. I've worked out most of She Caught the Katy and all of Georgia, but haven't done the GP transcription yet. You're motivating me to get on it.

Sam

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for posting this. That is one of my favorite recent blues albums. "Frampton forgets the words" is his latest album of all instrumentals. He was recently diagnosed with a degenerative neurological condition that is making it more difficult for him to play, so I think he is trying to do all the these projects while he still can.