For us less experienced new players.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Griff, I do like your videos but they seem to be targeted towards the more advanced players. I think it would be a great idea if you would do some videos geared toward the new players working on “Beginning Blues Guitar”, maybe 2 or 3 per month. It would be a great inspiration and encouragement to keep going and move on to BGU and other courses. What do you think?

Mike A

BLUES NOODLER
Griff, I do like your videos but they seem to be targeted towards the more advanced players. I think it would be a great idea if you would do some videos geared toward the new players working on “Beginning Blues Guitar”, maybe 2 or 3 per month. It would be a great inspiration and encouragement to keep going and move on to BGU and other courses. What do you think?

Good morning Bob .. i have been playing (practicing)for 3 years and have all of Griffs lessons.it seams to me i still feel like i am in beginner mode. Griff has a lot of knowledge and is easy to learn from and has lot of lessons geared towards the beginner but stills seems over my head at times ..i Have had to dig in and hit people up on the forum..there is a lot of great talent on this forum, guys that will answer and even do a video lesson for you and post it . they have done that for me several times and even Griff has chimed in on the conversation . Griff also has a very diverse range of players from beginner to guys who have there own bands and play several instruments, (drumtrucker) is one of them.. very talented man..i believe Griff really does cater to the beginner..but i have to say the the (triad comping lesson)7-5-18 was waaay out of my league. what really helps me is Griffs monthly challenges..i know this was a suggestion box post .. but i do belief Griff caters more to the beginner than the advanced and strikes a good balance for all the BGU members..thanks Griff(y)

Bob630

Blues Newbe
You are right the recourses on this forum on playing, guitars and gear are numerous. But 2 or 3 emails a month especially for newcomers and beginners would be akin to a private lesson from the author himself. The benefits would immeasurable for us folks. I hope others read this string and offer their opinions.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Isnt that what playing on the porch and Beginning blues guitar courses are for ?
Plus the killer solos made easy...................I am not sure how many more beginner courses there should be.

As for free stuff.............there is the 4 note solo. Best thing to do is join the AAP of whatever its called and have access to everything for s ridiculous low payment

Bob630

Blues Newbe
I think you may be missing my point. I am not discounting the courses you mentioned, I do have them and they are fun to use. What I am trying to point out is motivating aspect of having a couple of videos a month especially for the new folks , new to the blues and new to the guitar.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I think you may be missing my point. I am not discounting the courses you mentioned, I do have them and they are fun to use. What I am trying to point out is motivating aspect of having a couple of videos a month especially for the new folks , new to the blues and new to the guitar.

Yeah, sometimes miscommunication happens when looking at words on a forum, nature of the beast. I would be torn on it. I think about the videos from Marty Schwartz (full disclosure, known Marty personally for many many years). He has a million feel good, easy strum, easy blues lick videos.

Where as yeah, I think BGU ones are different................but to me, Martys videos are like an after school program, you get exposed to a ton of things, you get motivated easy, playing something musical, have a great time.

Where I think BGU videos are more like your advanced placement class..............when you come to them , you have made a dedicated decision to be above a camp fire strummer (not knocking that in any way shape or form).You want a little more, you will spend the time practicing how to link patterns, or count, or why the chord variations work, not just use them and move on.

I think that BGU does offer some easy videos, like the blog ones that come out every now and then for things like "Born In Chicago"

But overall, I am not sure that having more focused beginner ones, might take away from the higher level of these courses..................but my opinion and $2 might get you a cup of coffee

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Bob, just for clarification, is this an “AAP thing” you are suggesting (just for AAP participants), or the general BGU world?

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Yeah, sometimes miscommunication happens when looking at words on a forum, nature of the beast. I would be torn on it. I think about the videos from Marty Schwartz (full disclosure, known Marty personally for many many years). He has a million feel good, easy strum, easy blues lick videos.

Where as yeah, I think BGU ones are different................but to me, Martys videos are like an after school program, you get exposed to a ton of things, you get motivated easy, playing something musical, have a great time.

Where I think BGU videos are more like your advanced placement class..............when you come to them , you have made a dedicated decision to be above a camp fire strummer (not knocking that in any way shape or form).You want a little more, you will spend the time practicing how to link patterns, or count, or why the chord variations work, not just use them and move on.

I think that BGU does offer some easy videos, like the blog ones that come out every now and then for things like "Born In Chicago"

But overall, I am not sure that having more focused beginner ones, might take away from the higher level of these courses..................but my opinion and $2 might get you a cup of coffee
All opinions are welcome, pro or con. How else would new ideas be born..

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Bob, just for clarification, is this an “AAP thing” you are suggesting (just for AAP participants), or the general BGU world?
I am suggesting that maybe 2 emails a month be geared towards new folks just starting out, even 1 would be great.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@Bob630 I am (or should be) a more advanced player, but those triad sessions were Greek to me.

I can certainly see where a session or two per month directed at beginner to moderate players from @Griff could be beneficial. I have wondered how many of the sessions would be over the head of newer players and if they would get scared off by all the more advanced stuff.

Personally, I love being pushed by things that are out of my reach at the time and motivated by occasionally achieving those things, but that's because I've had enough experience with the "I'll NEVER be able to do that" changing into "WOW! I can't believe I did that!!"

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
@Bob630 I think you make a good point, and it's something that has been on my mind recently.

Part of the "problem" (and it's not a problem, it's just a lack of a better word) is that when you are a beginner, the variety is limited. It's real easy to get over your head really fast, and that's, of course, the last thing I want to do.

I've certainly done some beginning level videos, and will continue to do more. One big difference between me and other online guys (Marty comes to mind) is that I'm more focused here than on the YouTube crowd. I've always said I'd rather serve a smaller community of dedicated people than a larger, somewhat random community like YouTube, so that's how I'm geared and how I work.

What that means is that my "free" videos tend to come in spurts in between working on more specific courses and now the AAP stuff, challenges, etc. But I am more than happy to make a few beginner focused videos for you, in fact I think it's a great idea.

And, of course, check out the YouTube channel (youtube.com/bluesguitarunleashed) and there are 2 playlists you might like, one is "Blues Guitar Lessons For Beginners," and one is "Blues Song Lessons" which as a couple of easy arrangements of classic blues tunes like "Hoochie Coochie Man," and some others I can't recall.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
@Bob630 I think you make a good point, and it's something that has been on my mind recently.

Part of the "problem" (and it's not a problem, it's just a lack of a better word) is that when you are a beginner, the variety is limited. It's real easy to get over your head really fast, and that's, of course, the last thing I want to do.

I've certainly done some beginning level videos, and will continue to do more. One big difference between me and other online guys (Marty comes to mind) is that I'm more focused here than on the YouTube crowd. I've always said I'd rather serve a smaller community of dedicated people than a larger, somewhat random community like YouTube, so that's how I'm geared and how I work.

What that means is that my "free" videos tend to come in spurts in between working on more specific courses and now the AAP stuff, challenges, etc. But I am more than happy to make a few beginner focused videos for you, in fact I think it's a great idea.

And, of course, check out the YouTube channel (youtube.com/bluesguitarunleashed) and there are 2 playlists you might like, one is "Blues Guitar Lessons For Beginners," and one is "Blues Song Lessons" which as a couple of easy arrangements of classic blues tunes like "Hoochie Coochie Man," and some others I can't recall.
Thanks Griff, even one per month or every other month would be fantastic. Keep up the great work we all appreciate your dedicated efforts.