For those of you who have blocked me - unknown!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I do feel however if we all followed the forum rules a little closer ( no politics, religion or personal attacks of any kind) there'd be no need for the block button.
The problem lies with those who feel any disagreement with one of their opinions is a personal attack and who perceive any kind of debate of the point to be "an argument" rather than "a discussion".

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It really doesn't matter why someone chooses to use it. It's here and available. Use it or not. It's a tool in the forum. It's not necessary to justify your reasons for doing so. It resolves conflicts, plain and simple.

sloslunas

NM Blues
Block Tom?? Are you serious? This guy is one of the very best members that we have. But I feel your pain brother. I spend most of my time on the forum talking to myself because of all of the blocks on me. Geez...Even RR and I are on speaking terms. Came to realize that even with our differences of opinion that we have a lot in common and he has a whole bunch of knowledge to bring to the table. The same holds true with all of you. If we were all the same...life would be very boring and not a place I would choose to be a part of. You do have the power and the privilege to filter what you want...I would do that sparingly, because different opinions, when viewed objectively can give us all a better understanding of what is really going on. Nuff said about that...

Steve

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Block SVTom? Say what???? Sheeeesh. Some people's kids.

Blackcoffeeblues - where have you been? - we missed you - I thought maybe you had blocked me :)
Tom

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Block Tom?? Are you serious? Geez...Even RR and I are on speaking terms. Came to realize that even with our differences of opinion that we have a lot in common and he has a whole bunch of knowledge to bring to the table. The same holds true with all of you.
Steve
Peace, Brother! Sometimes the very best friendships emerge from a spat. I don't even remember what our little spat was all about ... water under the bridge. What I have come to know about you is that you are far and away one of the most generous members on this forum always willing to go the extra mile to help another member out. Some of those things that you have done just blew me away. I want you to know that I most definitely consider you to be a FRIEND. Whenever you say something that tends to stick in my craw, I acknowledge that and just let it slide. Most of these little "disagreements" are nothing but personal opinions. We all have our own, and we are all entitled to them. I have learned that the best policy is to more or less just "lay back in the weeds and let it all blow by". I even quit mowing my lawn so I have a weed patch to hide in. :whistle:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Hey Tom/O.G.---I put a little chip on my shoulder a few months back-----but it ain't there no more......You think you could get the HUM out of a 1974 WOODSON -150 Watt Amp.? (Solid State)? This son of a gun is HEAVY-. (64#) .but darn it sounds good.. I will see you on the gear PAGE later.

Oldmann

Blues Newbie
I agree, life is too short to block people on a voluntary forum. Sometimes the people I do not agree with teach me much needed lessons. You are never too old to learn. Jim

Slofinger

Blues Junior
I'm trying to wrap my head around someone blocking you. Nope, can't get it. Just don't understand it. How hard is it to just skip the post if it's someone you don't agree with. It's been said before that this forum is probably one of the only ones that a snipe at someone else is almost unheard of. The only improvement I'd like to see is that you all would buy more guitars and post about them so that I can enjoy vicariously your guitars. Just kidding...

Randy S

Blues Junior
I'm trying to wrap my head around someone blocking you. Nope, can't get it. Just don't understand it. How hard is it to just skip the post if it's someone you don't agree with. It's been said before that this forum is probably one of the only ones that a snipe at someone else is almost unheard of. The only improvement I'd like to see is that you all would buy more guitars and post about them so that I can enjoy vicariously your guitars. Just kidding...
I am with you Slofinger. Don't get it. Seems petty and mean to me.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I can't imagine anyone blocking SV Tom unless they are intimidated by his knowledge and experience. RR has strongly held opinions, but I don't think he has ever expressed them as "I'm right, you're wrong (or stupid)". Why would anyone block sloslunas?

I have no idea if anyone has blocked me, apparently there is no way to know. I admit to veering into the "political" from time to time, and generally the mods just shut it down. And I have learned to be more careful.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Sometimes a post will get under my skin. I figure that's my problem. I've been known to get snarky in reply to a post that I've taken personally.
All that being said, I'd rather learn to deal with it than block someone and miss something juicy.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I've been in this forum a while and don't even know where the "block" button is...most of the time guys/gals will talk it out a bit and on occasion the moderators have had to step in and settle the troops down a bit...kudos to those guys for all that they do behind the scenes...

but Tom...seriously...Tom...can't even imagine it...later.

cowboy

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I belonged to a forum for programmers, and we had one person who would get on the Internet after drinking a good deal of alcohol, and really tear into people. That was not a comfortable situation, and we had a long conversation (he and I), and he promised to not drink before getting on the forum. He kept his promise and that made things enjoyable.

Remember last year, at about this time? It seems that there was a good deal of negativity going on between a few members of Griff's forum. I got tired of some of the comments and found Lloyd's forum, and joined up. The people on Lloyd's forum had some comments about the negative things going on with Griff's forum. We had a lot of fun on Lloyd's forum, and we migrated back to Griff's place, right after he upgraded (changed) the software. Since the upgrade, things have been much more civil around here.

Another comment if I may, is that we seem to have "lost" a few members. You never know why. I have lost too many friends recently, and that goes with age. Panther is one, and I can think of a few more. I have the eMail addresses of a few members, but not all the ones that I am concerned about.

Well, tonight marks the changing to standard time around here, so either I will get one more hour of sleep, or "Party On Dude"! An extra hour of party sounds interesting.

Up until about one year ago I walked around my neighborhood every day. Having grown up in San Francisco, I learned to say hello, good morning or good day to anyone I met on the street. Last year I counted seventeen people on one morning walk to whom I said good morning, and not one even looked at me. There is good news! Today I went for a walk and saw four people to whom I said good morning, and not one said anything or looked at me. So I guess things are improving! :)

We have lived in this house for almost 20 years and I know the name (first name only) of one neighbor. He just sold his house and moved away. His name was Bob, and we would say hello whenever we saw each other, which was often. Where I grew up in San Francisco (Eureka Valley District) I knew the names of 64 families of neighbors, and we always exchanged greetings. I guess times change and all that. :( I am still close friends to 8 of the kids I grew up with, and we stay in contact with each other. My closest friend (for the last 67 years) just lost his wife. That makes me very sad, and since he is in Delaware, I can only talk to him on the phone to help console him. He is like a brother to me, and I really miss him.

I always like to point out what a psychologist wrote a few years ago about the Internet. He pointed out that if two people were sitting in a room talking to each other, 24% of what they said would be truly understood. On the Internet, only about 4% is understood. So that leaves a good deal to the imagination. ;):confused::cool:

Tom