Following Griff's Advice

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm butchering it "Loud and Proud".

Every time I've started this course (this is my 4th run at it), I get to the about the end of DVD 1 and get stalled, because my wrist/fingers get sore, or I can't play 16th notes cleanly.

This time around I'm sticking with it!

Every time I've started this course (this is my 4th run at it), I get to the about the end of DVD 1 and get stalled, because my wrist/fingers get sore, or I can't play 16th notes cleanly.

Go for it!  I look forward to your recordings. When (if) I eve finish the course I have now I will definitely give this one a shot.

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Right on Mike! I cut myself off at the triplets. I figure if I can get them down nice and clean the 16's will take care of themselves. If not....that's ok with me.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
At 60 BPM, I'm not having trouble with any of the note values. I'm having the devil of a time trying to remember the patterns particularly the "Melodic Pattern 2" (4 notes forward, one note back...)
And that's where I'm stuck for now.

Justatele

Blues Newbie
I found that I do the warm ups
then some scales
then the patterns,
and I find that once I get tripped up a bit, I go back and do the scales a bit
the next day the patterns seem easier, but if I try to force anything, I get frustrated, so I do the patterns starting slow and speed up, once it is getting real bad I stop. Amazing the next day I can go a bit easier or faster.
the funny part is I had surgery on my wrist and did not play for 18 months, now that I am back and practicing again, I dreaded the course, well seems after a week I was doing pretty well. the muscle memory was still there,  and I think that is the important part, I made sure to do those patterns every day slowly a bit so I was remembering them before I started to speed up. Because of that I had the memory.
My thought on this course is it is a great couple of times a week thing, Now if I wanted to fly like Griff, I would probably do it a few hours each day. But I can tell that just because I do the exercises my playing has improved as without the exercises I would not know how to do these patterns

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I remember the first several (thousand?) times I played that first non-melodic pattern, I thought "I'll never be able to get that straight. I just can't wrap my mind around it." Now I can play it without very much thought. I'm hoping the melodic patterns are become the same. I can see that this course is one more big piece of the puzzle.

Justatele

Blues Newbie
I remember the first several (thousand?) times I played that first non-melodic pattern, I thought "I'll never be able to get that straight. I just can't wrap my mind around it." Now I can play it without very much thought. I'm hoping the melodic patterns are become the same. I can see that this course is one more big piece of the puzzle.
Mike
Griff once told me that we need vocabulary, and those patterns are such
What he means is how can you play something if you do not know what you are playing.

I had asked him about how to do runs without using up the fret board so fast, he showed me the melodic runs, so I put that in perspective and had an AHA moment, these are fill riffs so we can get from one point to another and take up a little time. BINGO

well I can triplet out the fingerboard now, I am working on the 4 note runs now

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
This thread inspired me to pull this course out again. I gave it a short go when I bought it about a year and a half ago but soon got diverted to other things. Did okay up to the triplets and sixteenths of the melodic patterns when I couldn't keep up with Griff. Have to work on this some more.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
If you listen to someone like Joe Bonamassa or Walter Trout or Gary Moore or Eric Johnson, you'll hear those pentatonic melodic ideas all over the place - you just may not notice it until you can play them yourself at a decent tempo (until you can hum them.)

For me, technique has always been a cyclical thing. I work hard on it for a while, then relax for a while, then work hard on it for a while, then relax. The cycles get a lot further apart the better you get, but they are still there.

In fact, lately I've been taking a dose of my own medicine because I've felt my chops slipping so I've been working on some of those exact same exercises each day. They work... what can I say?

GuitarGeorge

Blues Newbie
Mike
Griff once told me that we need vocabulary, and those patterns are such
What he means is how can you play something if you do not know what you are playing.

I had asked him about how to do runs without using up the fret board so fast, he showed me the melodic runs, so I put that in perspective and had an AHA moment, these are fill riffs so we can get from one point to another and take up a little time. BINGO

well I can triplet out the fingerboard now, I am working on the 4 note runs now

James can you do that 1st exercise the one where you stretch 12-11-10-9 ot 12-11-10-8 etc.,

Does that one get easier, not sure why Griff made that the 1st exercise, that one could get you to think the whole course is impossible.

Justatele

Blues Newbie
George
they all get easier
it is just you have to get to a point where you notice them getting easier
at first you are doing them slow and the n you speed up
next day when you go slow again, it seems a bit easier, but you really notice a few weeks later.
I think that is 2 things
first, as Grif says, if you can not count it you cannot do it, well you are not comfy counting as you are trying to do the pattern, but after a while it gets easier to do both because you have tried to, second it seems that if you are always trying at the fastest you can go, then you do not seem to do it at a relaxed level and enjoy it. as you get faster so does the relaxed level. And when you go to that level it seems so easy.
Give it a few weeks, I try to do a slower session after each fast session. You learn to enjoy them as yo notice you are getting faster, then suddenly one day when you are noodling around jamming to a jam track you use the pattern, that is when you get impressed with it.

I have bought quite a few books with all the exercises in them, they all seem to go over the same stuff, Griff has his laid out with a lot more written and video support. He has not reinvented the wheel, these are exercises that a lot of people teach and a lot of very fast lead players have used. They do get results. But the bottom line is hw much time you put into it on a daily basis.
you need to approach these with one thing in mind, you are only going get out of these exercises what you put into them. You have to do them so much you can do them without thinking.

GuitmanBlues

Blues Newbie
I find that these hand stretches help me out tremendously. I do them after warm up but before technique exercises. They help to relax my hands when I play my technical exercises. When my hands are loose and relaxed I can burn, when I tense up I flub it up. By then it is usually time to play or learn something new anyway. I hope the stretches help you guys as much as they have helped me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY

Cheers! [smiley=beer.gif]
Todd

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Todd this is a great video. I have arthritis in my right wrist and many of the exercises in the video are the same as my chiropractor asked me to do.  [smiley=beer.gif]

GuitmanBlues

Blues Newbie
Todd this is a great video. I have arthritis in my right wrist and many of the exercises in the video are the same as my chiropractor asked me to do.  [smiley=beer.gif]
I recommend the stretches to people who don't play that may have a little pain in their hands or just looking for some extra dexterity in their hands and fingers.

GuitarGeorge

Blues Newbie
I went through the whole course I do believe.  I went through each pattern a week at a time twice and got up to playing them 120bpp, but I was butchering the trips and 16's for sure.  The melodic patterns where fun.  But I was doing way better than I thought I would.  I put it down for now I think maybe I will do it again every spring or something like that.  I think this has helped me a lot.  I am playing some stuff without even thinking about it, like magic almost.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
From reading everyones posts I feel like this reminds me of the Jazzy Blues lesson 12 in BGU.
I tried exercise 3 last night as my wife got it for my B-Day,I can do it but it does take some time and I do have to get my guitar in kind of a vertical position. I trudge onward.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!

Mike,  That it!  just stick with it!  I think I worked on this course for 3 months a couple of years ago.  But it's well worth the effort! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]