***FIXIT*** Submission Thread for January 31, 2023 Session

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Please list your FIXIT request in this thread OR create a new thread in the AAP Live Session Discussion section.

If you create a new thread, make sure to put FIXIT in the thread title so it can easily be found. Thanks!
This list is for Griff's reference during the live webinar.

@John Hurley
Crazy about Oklahoma ==> Texas so doggone big (audio)
Griff please take a listen maybe go straight through can stop at 2:20? New drummer first practice session my wingman Johnny doing minor pentatonic im driving the guitar groove and singing. Yeah me on the left side the ( not clean ) guitar. Just general impressions and feedback thanks John

@Elio
Outside Woman Blues Cover (video)
In all honesty, I began working on this before I knew about Griff's Cream course. It is my best effort to-date at covering 2/3 of Cream on Outside Woman Blues, with apologies to Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce.

Any suggestions for EQ'ing bass are appreciated. It was my first attempt but I'm not sure I really improved it that much. I was trying for a little punchier Jack Bruce sound.

My plan was for my best friend from college to do the vocals. Unfortunately, he met with a tragic vocal strain while coaching/yelling at 5 year-olds on his grandson's flag football team, so the generic backing track vocals will have to do until he rests his voice a bit :cool:

@Jack
What You Give - Tesla guitar cover (video)
I guess this is ready to share. Let me know what I need to fix before I can call it done :)
And yeah, I know...it's time to put away the Christmas decorations.

@MikeS
Amie (audio)
I made a few changes to make it more playable for me, and it's not as polished as I had hoped, so I know there are timing issues and I still haven't mastered the double stop strums, but I guess This is a good as it will get by Tuesday.

@snarf
Linky - snarf plays Down In Georgia (audio)
Here's my submission for this month. Down In Georgia from BGIAB2.
I can play it at 140bpm (the slow version) and realized last week that I was doing the bored thing during part of it. So I bumped it to the regular version, and I realized I could almost hold it together through parts of it where even 3 weeks ago I would try it and it would fall apart as soon as it started. Starting last week, I kept playing it at that speed, and it started coming together a lot quicker than I thought it would. So here it is at 170bpm (boss mode - still outside my zone of comfort).

Here're my initial thoughts (because you know I always have to give them):
  • First, there are lots of mistakes in it. Lots of mistakes. Oh so many mistakes. There's even that part in the solo where I'm supposed to be playing, and it's silent. I just tried to roll with whatever I screwed up and get back in as quickly as I could.
  • I still feel like I'm either slightly ahead of the beat because I'm afraid I'm going to get behind or, more often, chasing the beat (which gives it that tense, panicked-playing sound) because it got away from me and I'm trying to catch up.
  • Memorization is sometimes more important that I want to admit.
  • I missed a LOT of those G and D chord slides. I didn't realize it until I played it back. Honestly, I think that was just the nerves of recording.
  • The end just fell apart on me. For some reason, once I started playing it at 170, I've continued to struggle with it for some reason. Sometimes I've hit it. More often, it's closer to whatever happened here.
  • First take for today. Ran through a couple of the licks that cause me problems, but then hit record and this is what I got. I decided to do that rather than playing it forty-leven dozen times and grabbing the one that sounds best. That way you get an honest version of it.
@Steve_Whant
Matt Schofield - Stranger Blues (audio)
3 months on and I still cant get all the way through even at 80 bpm (Matt plays this at 92 bpm). Adding in the control of tone and volume knobs is a bridge too far right now but I think I am getting some of the feel and subtleties now

@fingerpicker
Stranger Brew (audio)
Griff, I can't thank you enough for adding this course! So much fun!!

Last edited: