First Live Improv

DavidASkelton

Blues Newbie
So while I listen to Griff every day and still go through his courses, I have teacher now IRL. This semester we worked on old school blues, some jazz, mostly drop 2 chord shapes & arpeggios, and a tiny bit of metal. At the spring show case he really wanted to play something together and “improv” I agreed. Went home and tried to take some of my favorite licks and put them together. I also powered through Griff’s How to Improv course & stole some licks and ideas. Just the idea that no one really make things up wholly on the spot. You have lick blueprint maps you rearrange sometimes on the spot. That helped me realize I could do this. For the show, I did little chords stabs first time through then soloed. Some stuff was changed on the fly bc his groove was slower than I expected. I also could have communicated better on when we’re ending and that I wasn’t doing a quick change. Overall, I’m happy with it minus the ending and not really using vibrato bc I didn’t want to get lost and was trying to listen to what he was doing. I hope y’all like it. Watch here