FIREFLY Anyone?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Yeah, I have to admit, seeing the one RR got has made me think again about getting one of these.
They don't have any pink ones! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And all sold out of red, too. I don't know if I just got real lucky or if all of them are this nice. Might wait until the verdict is in from others who also bought them. I got a little mirror and checked out the switch and pots. The switch looks like a good Switchcraft switch and feels like it too (although I doubt that it really is). And the pots aren't those little small ones you find in most cheap guitars, and they feel really good, just a little stiffness to them, not all loosey-goosey, and smooth. I can't read the markings on them. What amazes me is how good it sounds … not quite as good as my EPI 339 Pro but awfully, awfully close. All I know is that I have absolutely no problem getting some VERY satisfying blues tone out of it. It also sounds quite good unplugged, more so than my 339 or SX EG5. I haven't been this happy on a bang-for-buck basis in a LOOOONG time! Maybe never. It is so darned PRETTY … I am IN LOVE! :love::love:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
They don't have any pink ones! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And all sold out of red, too. I don't know if I just got real lucky or if all of them are this nice. Might wait until the verdict is in from others who also bought them. I got a little mirror and checked out the switch and pots. The switch looks like a good Switchcraft switch and feels like it too (although I doubt that it really is). And the pots aren't those little small ones you find in most cheap guitars, and they feel really good, just a little stiffness to them, not all loosey-goosey, and smooth. I can't read the markings on them. What amazes me is how good it sounds … not quite as good as my EPI 339 Pro but awfully, awfully close. All I know is that I have absolutely no problem getting some VERY satisfying blues tone out of it. It also sounds quite good unplugged, more so than my 339 or SX EG5. I haven't been this happy on a bang-for-buck basis in a LOOOONG time! Maybe never. It is so darned PRETTY … I am IN LOVE! :love::love:

Holy %^$#! EVERYTHING RR said is exactly what I got! (Perfect description, Jim!) Even down to the misaligned knobs (don't turn 'em too hard, they will move!)
My pic: (looks just like the Amazon pic)

IMG_2143.jpg
It really is a nice looking guitar! The neck feels very good. Not too chunky. Very close to my older LP. It's incredibly light, too! Who knows what it's made out of, but it works!
Tomorrow, I'll feed the flux capacitor, and fire up my old Twin Reverb and do a comparison with my LP. For now, I'm with RR and amazed by this guitar (deal)!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Holy %^$#! EVERYTHING RR said is exactly what I got! (Perfect description, Jim!) Even down to the misaligned knobs (don't turn 'em too hard, they will move!)
My pic: (looks just like the Amazon pic)

View attachment 5932
It really is a nice looking guitar! The neck feels very good. Not too chunky. Very close to my older LP. It's incredibly light, too! Who knows what it's made out of, but it works!
Tomorrow, I'll feed the flux capacitor, and fire up my old Twin Reverb and do a comparison with my LP. For now, I'm with RR and amazed by this guitar (deal)!
GREAT! And simply AMAZING! I was almost afraid nobody would believe me! I expected to find that I just got really lucky and that others would find some kind of flaw or blemish or a sharp fret end or worse. Two out of two is amazing! It will be just awesome if others report in the same! It is just beyond me how they can sell these guitars for that little money! Mine is also light weight. The grain that shows through the top looks like maple, but the unfinished wood inside although it's the same color as maple, is a softer wood. I took a small screwdriver and can easily make an indent in the solid center block and inside of the back … you couldn't do that with hard maple. But given how this guitar sounds and looks, for this kind of money I wouldn't care if was plywood (it isn't). I fixed my knob positions, took all of about three minutes. Also ordered locking tuners and a roller bridge from GFS because this guitar deserves them!

I have played quite a number of EPI DOTS in music stores, and quite frankly I would rather have this one. I think the finish is actually better, overall workmanship is just as good, switch and pots feel as good or better, playability is just as good. But this one has a bound neck, binding in the F-holes and trapezoidal fret markers that the DOT lacks. I think the guitar's pickups and tone are every bit as good too … not better or worse, just a wee tad different. And a DOT is three times as much money!

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah, I have to admit, seeing the one RR got has made me think again about getting one of these.

I agree. I ordered the black one (Should be here tomorrow), but seeing that Blue one makes me wish I bought a blue one.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Well, Mike, great reviews from both me and jmin. So, when are you going to jump in? :)

You and Jim make it very tempting, but as I said in a previous post: "I just can't bond with a 335 or 339 style guitar. So, I know if I bought one of these Firefly's, I'd play it for a few weeks, then just end up selling it or giving it away." Must be something about the body size, since the largest body electrics I own are Strats.

Very cool to see these guitars are all what they are hyped up to be! :Beer:

Oh and the blue ones are gone now!

Slofinger

Blues Junior
You guys almost sucked me in. I almost got one just to see how they compare, but I already have a nice 335 that I like. I'm pretty proud of myself actually. Someone did say they're out of them now didn't they? Phew!!

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
You guys almost sucked me in. I almost got one just to see how they compare, but I already have a nice 335 that I like. I'm pretty proud of myself actually. Someone did say they're out of them now didn't they? Phew!!

Still have sunburst and black available. :whistle:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
After playing with the Firefly for a few hours this morning, I'm still not finding much wrong with it. The knobs issue was actually the pots issue. I thought they were cheap knobs not holding. Turns out three of the four pots needed to be tightened down. Quality? ...at this price I'm surprised they even had time to install them. I thought I had 'em on the bridge - it looked thinner than my LP, and then I thought it was installed backwards with the adjustment screws facing towards the pickup! Aha! Turns out it looks exactly like the one on a Gibson 335 from GC (and the intonation and action are surprisingly good). I did a side-by-side sound check with my LP to check out the pickups. They're close enough! (I'm not sure I know what good pickups even sound like).

Slofinger

Blues Junior
Well darn you guys. I had to go ahead and order one. So even though I have a cherry red 335 that I like, Tobaco Sunburst is my favorite guitar color so I ordered one. Should be here on Wednesday.