FIREFLY Anyone?

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
many cheapie guitars are built well now, the basic guitar and a pick up upgrade, awesome player.

I think there is still a huge difference on the acoustic side though, since I own better acoustics now, I have a hard time with inexpensive ones these days

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It appears they are very elusive. There are none to be found on Amazon right now. Amazon's search comes up empty. A Google search gets you to a review page. If you back door from the review to the product page, it says they are out of stock with no idea if/when they will be back in stock.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
It appears they are very elusive. There are none to be found on Amazon right now. Amazon's search comes up empty. A Google search gets you to a review page. If you back door from the review to the product page, it says they are out of stock with no idea if/when they will be back in stock.

Yep. I came across those about a month ago and couldn't find one anywhere. Thought it might be on one of the Chinese websites, but nothing there either. It's apparently a musical unicorn.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Actually, there is a "Firehawk" guitar on Aliexpress for $129, but it's also $60 for shipping. It would also be much easier to deal with Amazon if you got a dud.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Have patience! It takes time to row a boat from China to the West Coast, so the guitars will be available to the rest of the country. :D

Tom

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Huh. Gotta say, I paid under US$200 for my Ibanez acoustic 12 string (used), and even brand new it's a hair under US$300. They're great guitars. Not surprised someone's figured out how to do semis for less than that. I wonder how good they really are, especially in terms of needing setup fixes?

Great looking axes based on those videos, though.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Huh. Gotta say, I paid under US$200 for my Ibanez acoustic 12 string (used), and even brand new it's a hair under US$300. They're great guitars. Not surprised someone's figured out how to do semis for less than that. I wonder how good they really are, especially in terms of needing setup fixes?

Great looking axes based on those videos, though.

Probably nothing $500 won’t cure

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I don't know if this is the same (?) Firefly guitar, but the story is a little different than I expected...

FIREFLY GUITARS are custom designed, hand crafted guitars built to make the world better.
They are fundraising, music making machines.
FIREFLY GUITARS began in 2012 when founder Kory Van Sickle was tapped to design Brennan Rock & Roll Academy, a world class music school providing underprivileged children free music lessons. Kory created the name, logo, mission statement and interior design. Within the logo Kory included an "ampersand" guitar between the "Rock" & "Roll" and then expanded the vision by bringing the ampersand guitar to "life" as a full size, hand made, custom designed guitar.
FIREFLY GUITARS has produced over 300 guitars for the Academy and played a major role in their fundraising and awareness. In 2014, FIREFLY GUITARS teamed up with the Edith Sanford Breast Foundation and created the Pink Firefly. The pink ribbon guitar was designed to raise awareness for breast cancer research and treatment. In doing so, artists who perform at the Denny Sanford Premier Center are gifted a guitar as well as asked to sign a guitar for the Foundation. Every dollar raised by the sales of the guitars is invested in genomics research.
In 2015 FIREFLY GUITARS partnered with LifeLight, the largest free Christian Music Festival in the U.S. with over 300,000 attendees annually. LifeLight Firefly Guitars are signed by the festival's headliners and used to raise money, sponsor support and awareness for LifeLight's world mission. In 2015, the Hero Firefly (yellow ribbon) was created to support U.S. troops and their families. The guitars were signed during the "75th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally". The first Hero Guitar to be auctioned was sold at Charlie Daniels 79th birthday at the Palm in Nashville and 100% of the proceeds benefited Charlie's foundation, "The Journey Home Project" providing all types of aid to U.S. troops and their families.

Website
http://www.fireflyguitars.com

Year Founded

Company Type
Sole Proprietorship

Size
1-10 employees

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, crap! I grabbed a blue one … don't have a blue guitar. And I have had very good luck with these inexpensive guitars, just never a Firefly … yet. Just hope it gets here in one piece! Will let you know the verdict when it gets here.

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I would have gone for the same. I'll be interested to see what you think of it. If the neck and body are good, that's worth $139 alone!
Well, maybe I'm a sucker, but with those two reviews at the start of this thread, I just couldn't pass it up. Washington's sales tax tacked on $12.45, but even at the $152.36 total it will be a GREAT deal if it lives up to those reviews. I bought this on a "what the hell" impulse, fully expecting to have to swap out the pickups and do other work, but after reading all of the 99 reviews on the Amazon site, most of them 5-stars, I am excited for it to get here. If those reviews are to be believed, the pickups apparently rival Epi pickups, which are VERY good on my 339 Pro. Playability seems to be great, no fret work needed, just maybe a little set up. There are several reviews saying they had very minor finish imperfections, and the stock tuners apparently hold tune. Consistently reviews say the guitar sounds great. Might have scored a real gem here. Out of 99 reviews there were only 3 bad ones. Go to the link above, read those reviews, and I warn you … put on your GASmask!

This might be the LP version, but the pickups are most likely the same.

Last edited:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
The red ones are now gone. Don't forget, these have: "Twin humbuckers for the Rock and powder sound". Always wanted a "powder" sound. :D