Fingers or pick?

JohnCesta

Blues Newbie
Ok, I just bought the 2.0 course. I am one of those guys that have 1,000$ worth of courses but have never been quite satisfied. Most of my courses are songs.

I felt like I needed a structured course and I think this is it!

I am most likely an intermediate beginner if not an advanced beginner.

Here's my question:

So 2 years ago I decided I only wanted to play delta finger blues. I developed a style like Gary Davis....thumb and fore finger. Seems to work ok for me as far as delta/Mississippi etc blues. I also like the sound. Also during this time I only played acoustic.

So a few months ago I started listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn. Well, that changed everything. I went out and bought a Strat.

Now I'm loving my electric and the power and sound of it. I am at a crossroads however....

Fingerpicking still or a pick?

I want to start now with the right technique. I am wondering if I will be able to eventually get adequate with some of the power picking while using my fingers. Or, will I need a pick to power pick and power strum like Stevie Ray.

My thoughts are perhaps I should stick with fingers and however my sound develops then that's that.

My feeling on some of Stevie's stuff like pride and joy and or cold shot is that it may require a pick?

Alright, enough rambling I think you get the idea.

If the answer is, "John, just stick with your fingers." Then ok that's what I'll do. (this is my choice actually!)

Or maybe the answer is, "John, you will never be able to play some of SRV stuff with your fingers."

Ok, I get it.

Well, that's all I have so far. Any help?

John

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
How about, "you'll find some stuff easier to play with a pick and other stuff easier to play with your fingers?" Whichever way works for you is what is best. Weigh the differences. I can play faster with a pick, but I can play a better rhythm either finger style or a combination of pick and fingers. Both styles have their advantages and their weaknesses. Knowing and being fluent at both is a big advantage.