Fingering on tab notations

R

Ram

I have received my Beginning Blues Guitar course yesterday, and went straight for the lessons. Great job Griff on how you simplify it all! I understand the tab notation, but how do I decide what fingers to use? I can see the fingers you use in video, but wonder how do I figure it out? For example, in the first lesson, Griff was using the ring finger on G and D notes on the 1st and 2nd strings. Could I have used my pinky on the G and the ring finger on D to minimize switching?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
There really aren't any rules or magic formula. The only guideline is to try and use one finger per fret (again a guideline NOT a rule). IF you look at the tab and see that most of the notes are higher on the neck than the first note, then I'd start the first note with my index finger, which would position the rest of my fingers for the upcoming notes.
In the end what ever is most comfortable and lets you get to the notes as quickly as possible is what you should do.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
The general rule is one finger per fret per position.  The rules get broken as needed.

Position is just the fret number that your fretting hand index finger is positioned at.  If it's at the 5th fret, it's 5th position; 7th fret, it's at 7th position, etc, etc.

For example:  If you are in 2nd position, your index finger is at the second fret and will play all the notes located on the 2nd fret; your middle finger will be on the 3rd fret and it will play all the notes located on the 3rd fret; your ring finger will be on the 4th fret and will play all the notes located on the 4th fret; finally, your pinky will be on the 5th fret and will play all the notes located on the 5th fret.

Again, this is just the general guideline subject to exceptions and the choice of the player.  If Griff does suggest a fingering in the video, then I would suggest you give a try and stick with it for now, even if it seems hard.  There is usually an advantage of one fingering over another if he takes the time to point it out and you will probably benefit from learning it.

:cool:

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Hey Ran, glad you've joined! You may want to rewatch the videos when you get some time. I just happened to go back through all of BBG last week just for fun and to pick up little things I may have missed, and it seems like Griff explains it all pretty well.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Ram, it is great you are curious about where or what fingers to use. This curiosity will really help you as you progress. You already have the answer that there are guidelines but not rules. I and others will sometimes look at the chord chart and just figure out how to get from one chord to another with the least movement. Keep up the good work.  :)