Festival gig

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Remembering lyrics is tough on stage. I'm gonna try using an old 10" tablet tonight at an open mic. They provide music stands since there are horn players reading music. These guys have suitcases full of music they use, so I don't feel bad about using a crutch. Out of the five songs I'll play, two or three are new enough to me that I'll need the help. I usually have to write the titles of what I'm gonna play or I'll forget the whole song, so kudos for nailing down a 45 minute set. Sounds like a great time.
Video if you can

artyman

Fareham UK
I can't remember lyrics either, but then with over 200 songs in our repertoire and another 300+ in my church folder, my poor 79 year old brain is a bit overloaded, I can just about manage twenty 'Shadows' solos (sometimes!)

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I can't remember lyrics either, but then with over 200 songs in our repertoire and another 300+ in my church folder, my poor 79 year old brain is a bit overloaded, I can just about manage twenty 'Shadows' solos (sometimes!)
crap, now I feel bad, I forget ones I wrote

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Since the lockdown days, I've made my way through about 25 open mics and a few other shows with my solo acoustic act or (recently) a duo with a drummer. I have tried a range of things for managing the songs. What I'm finding is if I can't perform a song without reading from a lyrics sheet or a lead sheet (i.e., from memory) then I don't really know it well enough and I'm not ready to include it in a show.

For now I have a tablet with me to show my planned set list and charts. As we move to each song I pull up the lyrics and some notes (key, tempo, capo, how do we start/end...). The tablet software I use, MobileSheets, contains my entire library of music charts. Setting up a setlist beforehand and stepping through it on stage is easy and straightforward. The lyrics are there as a backup in case of a brain freeze and the notes are like a pre-launch checklist. On stage I put the tablet low and to the side so I can glance at it if I need to, but it's not in between me and the audience. I don't usually refer to it once the song starts. Not sure if this approach will scale to hundreds of songs, but we're not quite there yet. If we reach a point where our brains overflow then we may have to modify the process.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Since the lockdown days, I've made my way through about 25 open mics and a few other shows with my solo acoustic act or (recently) a duo with a drummer. I have tried a range of things for managing the songs. What I'm finding is if I can't perform a song without reading from a lyrics sheet or a lead sheet (i.e., from memory) then I don't really know it well enough and I'm not ready to include it in a shows.
I agree with you to a point, Doug. Some open mics are for polished material. Some are more experimental, let's say, with people trying new material and most people never playing a song more than once. In this case, I have my lyrics ready for help if I need it. I'm trying a winery tomorrow, all new people, so I'll go with what I do best. But I enjoy seeing folks trying to stretch their limits.
Lots of wineries out here, warmer weather means lots of playing opportunities if you want them. Lots of the guys are vying for those gigs, but it's not my goal to get paid. I'm just trying to get comfortable for Grand Rapids. If I was getting paid, it all changes and I'd have to spiff things up a bit, especially lyric memorization.

Reactions: dvs

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I agree with you to a point, Doug. Some open mics are for polished material. Some are more experimental, let's say, with people trying new material and most people never playing a song more than once. In this case, I have my lyrics ready for help if I need it. I'm trying a winery tomorrow, all new people, so I'll go with what I do best. But I enjoy seeing folks trying to stretch their limits.
Lots of wineries out here, warmer weather means lots of playing opportunities if you want them. Lots of the guys are vying for those gigs, but it's not my goal to get paid. I'm just trying to get comfortable for Grand Rapids. If I was getting paid, it all changes and I'd have to spiff things up a bit, especially lyric memorization.
Totally agree with you, Braylon. I'm using the open mics as safe space to experiment and figure out what I need to do some actual gigs. Also, I'm describing what I've figured out might work for me, but I don't want to imply that it's going to be right for everybody (or anybody) else. I know lots of people who use lyrics sheets, esp. for large repertoires of covers. I think that's fine! Unfortunately, because of vision/perception/the way my brain works, I have found that I can't read lyrics on stage without staring at them and I've learned that doesn't fly, at least for me.

Have a great show at the winery - break a leg!

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
We've got some highlights from our set at the ArtFest. We were the opening act at the festival, our audience was small and friendly, and we had a lot of fun.

The audio is a combination (I hesitate to say "mix") of the camera mics (Zoom Q2n-4K), which picked up room sound (audience and natural reverb) as well as floor monitors and drums, plus I got a board recording of the main FOH mix, which was mostly guitar and vocals with not quite enough drums (drums didn't need a lot of reinforcement and so kick and overhead mics were very low in the mains). Playing with the levels between those two, I was able to get a reasonable balance between me and Sue and avoid emphasizing the boomy room sound.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Great Doug! (y) Hats off to you and Sue!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: That repaired 314 looks like it comes in pretty handy, the right tool for the job!(y)

Cheers! :Beer:

Reactions: dvs