Festival gig

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
A new open mic started up at a bistro in town. It's been running on Sundays since March. I've been there regularly doing solo-acoustic/singer-songwriter type sets, even "guest hosted" once when the regular host had to be elsewhere. At the same time my wife is finally redeveloping her drumming chops after a 3-year hiatus for shoulder surgeries and rehab. She has been bringing her suitcase drum kit, which has become the de facto "house kit", and we've been gradually adapting my song list into a duo repertoire. It's been a little hectic, and it's not a huge space, so we haven't been able to get share-worthy recordings there yet, but we're working on that.

However, as a result of our open mic antics, Sue and I were invited to be the opening act at an art festival in a couple of weeks, so we're putting together a 45-minute set. Should be fun, and hopefully we'll have some video and audio from that.

rt 100 art fest.jpeg

Elwood

Blues
However, as a result of our open mic antics, Sue and I were invited to be the opening act at an art festival in a couple of weeks, so we're putting together a 45-minute set. Should be fun, and hopefully we'll have some video and audio from that.
awesome!!! (y)(y)(y)

Reactions: dvs

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
That's great Doug. It is really nice that you can share your passion for music with Sue (and vice versa), and on a stage at that!
Videos please.....

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Doug and Sue, that is great news. Both that you will be performing together and that Sue is finally getting back to playing.

I sympatize with you on the shoulder surgery and rehab. My wife, who played drums in jr-hi and never since, had surgery and rehab for shoulder issues after I retired. It is not fun. Just watching her in rehab was painful for me (sympathy I guess).

Keep up the good playing and best to you both.

Bill

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Very cool Doug! Great to hear Sue is past her rehab and back at the drum kit. Knock 'em dead! :Beer:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
A new open mic started up at a bistro in town. It's been running on Sundays since March. I've been there regularly doing solo-acoustic/singer-songwriter type sets, even "guest hosted" once when the regular host had to be elsewhere. At the same time my wife is finally redeveloping her drumming chops after a 3-year hiatus for shoulder surgeries and rehab. She has been bringing her suitcase drum kit, which has become the de facto "house kit", and we've been gradually adapting my song list into a duo repertoire. It's been a little hectic, and it's not a huge space, so we haven't been able to get share-worthy recordings there yet, but we're working on that.

View attachment 18258
I'll let the Robinsons know.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
So, what songs are making the set ?

As it happens, we've been working on that all afternoon. It looks like we'll be using these songs:

Early Morning Rain
The Times, They Are A-Changing
Mr Bojangles
Knocking On Your Screen Door
Eventually They Dance
Friend Of The Devil
Don't Think Twice
Turn The Page
Can't Find My Way Home
Hot Tamales
Ghost Riders In The Sky
City Of New Orleans

We're pretty sure that these 12 are at least one or two more than we'll need for our 45-minute set. The first 6 will probably stay as they are on the list, and the last two will be the closers for sure, then we can decide what to skip depending how much time is left when we finish Friend Of The Devil. Tried to flow over a variety of tempos, keys, moods, energy levels, and styles (e.g., fingers vs flatpick). Right now we're somewhat frantically rehearsing starts and endings and tempos. I can almost get all the words right, most of the time.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
As it happens, we've been working on that all afternoon. It looks like we'll be using these songs:

Early Morning Rain
Mr Bojangles
Eventually They Dance
Friend Of The Devil
Don't Think Twice
Turn The Page
Can't Find My Way Home
Hot Tamales
Ghost Riders In The Sky
City Of New Orleans

We're pretty sure that these 12 are at least one or two more than we'll need for our 45-minute set. The first 6 will probably stay as they are on the list, and the last two will be the closers for sure, then we can decide what to skip depending how much time is left when we finish Friend Of The Devil. Tried to flow over a variety of tempos, keys, moods, energy levels, and styles (e.g., fingers vs flatpick). Right now we're somewhat frantically rehearsing starts and endings and tempos. I can almost get all the words right, most of the time.
I have to look some of those up, a few I dont know, or are they originals ?

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I have to look some of those up, a few I dont know, or are they originals ?
Eventually They Dance is a song I wrote, the rest are covers. There are versions on my youtube channel of all these except Hot Tamales (by Robert Johnson, the only song he ever recorded that was not a 12-bar blues) and City Of New Orleans (by Steven Goodman). Click my signature for the link.

Elwood

Blues

Early Morning Rain
Mr Bojangles
Eventually They Dance
Friend Of The Devil
Don't Think Twice
Turn The Page
Can't Find My Way Home
Hot Tamales
Ghost Riders In The Sky
City Of New Orleans
Very nice set list, I would enjoy sitting and hearing you guys! :Beer:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Awesome! glad Sue has been getting back into it!
You know what they say though, video or it didn't happen. I'll be checking back on this post on May 21 :p

Playing a festival is on my bucket list, and we have quite a few here in Colorado, farmers' market doesn't quite count.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Remembering lyrics is tough on stage. I'm gonna try using an old 10" tablet tonight at an open mic. They provide music stands since there are horn players reading music. These guys have suitcases full of music they use, so I don't feel bad about using a crutch. Out of the five songs I'll play, two or three are new enough to me that I'll need the help. I usually have to write the titles of what I'm gonna play or I'll forget the whole song, so kudos for nailing down a 45 minute set. Sounds like a great time.