Fender Mustang Owners

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Just got an email from Fender this morning. Reduced Price - Fender GT Amps....
Any guesses how long the support for these will last? shrug-smiley (50x50) (2).jpg

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Warning: I have been called the "most opinionated person" by several people since I was very young. Yes, I have an opinion, based upon my experiences, knowledge, and gut feel. So if you read the following, take that into consideration. :) You do not have to agree with me, but be ready to defend yourself! :eek:

How you approach music as a player or listener, is up to you. My approach is to "have your own sound". That is just me! To have that exact sound to emulate how an original performance or recording was made is something I do not care to approach. What guitar, strings, pick, amplifier, environment (outdoors, studio, auditorium, etc.) and what other variables you can imagine, will affect the sound.

When I had my Mustang, which had a few features I enjoyed, I made a joke, that I had to have a roll of toilet paper to record the settings for each piece of music I was going to play. Trying to memorize which switch position to use for what song is an interesting mental exercise, I would imagine. If that is something you enjoy, then by all means do so.

For my electric guitars, I like my tube amplifier. I have it set to the positions I want, and leave it alone. As for external "boxes", I have one - a Keeley Luna Overdrive, which I sometimes use.

My classical, flamenco, and acoustic guitars do not enjoy the pleasures of electronic distortion. So I just pick those up, play, and enjoy the fact that I am not giving the local power company (PG&E) a source of income based upon my guitars.

How many words have been written on this and other forums about what amplifier, etc. to use for a specific song? I guess it is good for the economy, but it takes away the fun of playing guitar. Imagine how much time you could spend simply playing your guitar, as opposed to purchasing equipment, finding the "right settings", etc. to find that sound you imagine is the "ideal" for a specific piece of music?

So I am happy with my approach. It is up to you to find your own happiness. Good luck.

By the way that expression "have your own sound", is something that a flamenco guitarist named Sabicas told me many years ago. Even today, there are those that attempt to emulate him. He thought that you should take your own path and be yourself. Have faith in yourself and what you do. Enjoy! :) :cool:

Tom

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Okay Fuse aside, what's the lame excuse for shutting down the Fender Forum? That was valuable user info that was still helping answer customer questions a lot better than Fender itself! If you go to Fender all you get is more ads and useless platitudes. I am so done with Fender I will no longer even consider buying their products anymore. There are plenty of options out there from the competition to choose from, from businesses that offer quality customer service rather than sitting on their fat asses and a once proud brand, offering nothing but empty BS:censored::censored::censored::censored:
That PRS Silver Sky is looking better all the time!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I am glad I did not purchase one when I considered it. Instead I picked up a used Vox valvetronics again. These are older school modeling amps. But recently I noticed that the Vox web sites are gone so the help in easily finding cool amp settings is sadly gone. At least these old girls do not rely on software. Mostly now I use a couple pedals for tone and effects. (my playing is likely more rudimentary that most here)
I have one of those amps too! They're great little amps (although mine's not really little - it's a 2x12). That amp is what introduced me to effects. I think I got mine in like 2007 or something.

EllenHarvey

Blues Newbie
That PRS Silver Sky is looking better all the time!
My humble opinion. I used it a number of times to try and find some answers to a few of the problems I was having with a couple of my guitars. I have a feeling they were fielding too many problems with their products and chose to bury them. Maybe? I have bridge vibration problems on one of my Thinline Telecasters and also on a fairly new Squier VM Mustang. Not fret buzz.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
My humble opinion. I used it a number of times to try and find some answers to a few of the problems I was having with a couple of my guitars. I have a feeling they were fielding too many problems with their products and chose to bury them. Maybe? I have bridge vibration problems on one of my Thinline Telecasters and also on a fairly new Squier VM Mustang. Not fret buzz.
I gather you're responding to the post about the Fender forum and not PRS?

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
So if this isn't supported anymore is this why I can't sign in and my user name show at the bottom of the amp on the computer. It still syncs but looking in won't show up

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I have Mustang III v2 too.
I recently put a new computer together for my music room and discovered it has disappeared from the website

Thanks to folks here I got an archived copy if Fuse and it still install and works fine. I never used the forums but I do use the editor to tweak or create amp settings. You can do it all from the front panel but Fuse makes it easier. Why did they remove software from the website, even if they stop supporting it? Because they want you to buy a newer model. In fact I quoted that much in a different thread.

Remuda is also a decent option.

Along others here though, I definitely help me decide that I would NOT by another Fender modelling amp.

The monoprice tube amp was not available when I bought my Mustang III and tube amps were just not affordable. It also provided hundreds of dollars worth of effects

I do suspect this is where things are heading though. All the fancy Helix, etc... will get obsolete faster and faster....

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I do suspect this is where things are heading though. All the fancy Helix, etc... will get obsolete faster and faster....
Being in the Eleven Rack camp, I'm carefully preparing for this. No doubt at some point in the Windows product path, the current driver will no longer be supported and I'm certain AVID will expend Zero manpower to update their drivers for it. I'm somewhat lucky that I was able to collect a couple of old computers from work when I retired, so I have 4 desktop machines and one laptop, all capable of running Windows 10 x64. Highlighting this issue with Fender makes me want to consider finding an older 1U server I can stuff into a portable rack alongside one of my 11r's, just so I can keep using the editor as long as the 11r still works. The editor software and the last service release drivers for the Eleven Rack are burned to two CDs and on at least two USB sticks and also stored on my Google Drive.

Then again, I just before we moved from Florida to NC, I finally tossed my installation floppies for Windows 3.0 (5 1/4 Inch flops), Windows 3.1 and 3.11 for Workgroups as well as uncounted Red Hat Linux installation CDs and DVDs, floppies of Lotus 123 for MS-DOS and WordPerfect 5.1. also for MS-DOS.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Then again, I just before we moved from Florida to NC, I finally tossed my installation floppies for Windows 3.0 (5 1/4 Inch flops), Windows 3.1 and 3.11 for Workgroups as well as uncounted Red Hat Linux installation CDs and DVDs, floppies of Lotus 123 for MS-DOS and WordPerfect 5.1. also for MS-DOS.

I have no idea what Lloyd is talking about. :confused:
I shy away from technology. I had a bad accident in the 80's when automakers moved the headlight dimmer switch from the floor to the steering column. I got my foot stuck in the steering wheel trying to dim my headlights, and hit a tree. ;)

Last edited:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
LOL. I don't know if I should admit it but I know exactly what Lloyd is talking about and I'm disappointed he doesn't have Windows NT floppies.
I tend to be a packrat and save all divers, install programs, etc... for my computers, and other electornics. this is why I was shocked when I realized I hadn't saved the Mustang Fuse install stuff

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I also know what he is talking about. We were decluttering earlier in the year in the hope of moving house (don't think that is happening anytime soon now:(). Along with many versions of windows including 3.1 on floppy which I threw away was also a copy of Oracle 6 on floppy:eek:. Also had Dos on 5 1/2" floppy.
As a technical solution for those savey enough to do it. I would create a vm of a verion of windows it runs on and install it on that so you are protected against a later version of windows not supporting the drivers.

cheers

Al.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I still have my 8 " floppies for my S-100 Bus Computer, as well as CPM and MPM, 5 1/4" and 3 1/2"DOS 1.0, Windows 286, and 386, and the list goes on. In the good old days, you wrote your own drivers. Now, if Microsoft decides to upgrade an existing version of their OS, or even go so far as to create a new version (like Windows 99 :confused: ) it is possible that none of your software or hardware will work. I have a long list of hardware and software that got dropped when Microsoft has done that.

I bought a very expensive DAW, which used M-Audio audio cards, and I loved it! I made some really nice audio recordings. My computer died one month after the warranty expired, and I had to purchase a new computer. The new computer had windows 7, and the DAW had Vista. The M Audio cards did not work with Windows 7, and M Audio refused to update their drivers. That required an expenditure of several thousand dollars to replace the M Audio capability.

I had purchased an HP Scanner a month before the Vista DAW machine died, and it was an outstanding scanner. HP refused to update the drivers.

Going from Vista to Windows 7, Pagemaker no longer worked. Pagemaker refused to fix it, and suggested I purchase their newest version. Being retired, I do not have the resources to replace all of my hardware and software. And the list goes on. :(

The technology gods suck! But the CEO's get big bonusses at the end of the year! o_O

Their was a version of Microsoft DOS (4.01?) that did not accept 3 1/2 " floppies, and that is what it was created with. :confused: I even have sealed software from 30 years ago. Perhaps I could sell it to some collector? :p

Keep the economy going and purchase new software and hardware. You have to, if you want to use your computer. ;)

Tom

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm disappointed he doesn't have Windows NT floppies.
No flops, but I think I have a CD and licenses around for NT 3.51 and 4.0 workstation and Win2000 disks and licenses for both workstation and Advanced Server, although I may have tossed them before the move.
To explain what a total geek I was, at one time I had a farm of 12 Dell Pentium 2 machines in my garage running RedHat Linux. They were all running Folding At Home. I briefly considered dedicating them to SETI@Home, but I considered folding to be a more worthy cause.

Tayport

Blues Newbie
I bought my Mustang III several years ago and never gave a thought to the possibility of FUSE support being discontinued. This is certainly a wake up call in terms of future purchases that have software interfaces. I rarely used their forum so it isn't a huge loss, but it is disappointing that a company like Fender would choose to do this.

Mr.Scary

can any of you log in with your username on your computer when it syncs with the amp ??

steve o

Student Of The Blues
I bought my Mustang III several years ago and never gave a thought to the possibility of FUSE support being discontinued. This is certainly a wake up call in terms of future purchases that have software interfaces. I rarely used their forum so it isn't a huge loss, but it is disappointing that a company like Fender would choose to do this.
I basically did the same thing. I played around with it when I first got my Mustang, maybe 8 years ago. I haven’t touched the fuse software since then. I have probably 5 settings that I set back then and don’t use any others. If it wasn’t for this thread, I never would have known that Fuse is no more.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
can any of you log in with your username on your computer when it syncs with the amp ??
I haven't actually tried. I have assumed that, since they dropped support for it, they removed that too. Later tonight, once I get off for the day, I'll take my laptop into the music room, plug everything in, and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Mr.Scary

I haven't actually tried. I have assumed that, since they dropped support for it, they removed that too. Later tonight, once I get off for the day, I'll take my laptop into the music room, plug everything in, and see what happens. I'll let you know.
thx

Tayport

Blues Newbie
If you didn't log in with in in a certain period of time your password had to be reset. After experiencing that several times I eventually didn't bother .