Feedback Wanted - Ex 12-2

Discussion in 'Strumming And Rhythm Mastery Questions And Comment' started by LeftyJohn, Mar 3, 2020.

1. LeftyJohn

LeftyJohn West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK

Hi All,

I'm struggling to get this to sound right, Griff's sounds more 'bouncy' to me - i.e. more upbeat.

Perhaps I need to strum the muted strums a little softer and accent the chords more?

Feedback appreciated.

Regards, John

2. Many Moons

Many Moons Biking+Blues=Bliss

Hi John. Firstly. If you are trying to emulate Griff exactly, then you are in for one long wait!!!:)

Secondly. I don't know how long you have been playing guitar, but that sounded pretty darn good to me, and you should be more than happy with it. Move on to something else for a day or two then come back to it, and then see what you think of it. You might be pleasantly surprised.(y)(y)

3. LeftyJohn

LOL! Yes, it's probably a lifetime or more of work to catch up to where Griff was when he recorded it.

Thanks, I'm very pleased with where I am and the progress I've made in the last ten months or so, since I've found Griff's courses. The flip side however is with the progress I've made I've started to raise my expectations for myself :)

Regards, John

steve o and Many Moons like this.
  4. Elwood

Elwood pickin time

..have a beer or two and beat the tar outta this thing!

You got it bro.! Now give it time and let it get loose. Don't worry about how Griff sounds, you sound fine. I feel he would tell you the same. You have the model, now you play it and it will take on your flavor, then folks will try to sound like you!

Well done!

jmin likes this.
  5. LeftyJohn

Thanks Elwood, much appreciated! :)

6. jmin

jmin San Francisco, CA

I think it's really good John! I don't have the course, so I'm not sure what Griff's "bouncier" version sounds like, but you sure look (and sound) as if you're doing the lesson exactly right. Your technique, and that slight "pumping" of your left hand (muting), looks like you have a lot of control over what you're playing.
    Not to mess with your lesson (or Griff's teaching), but the sliding between the A and the G chords reminded me of the Kinks song "All Day and All of the Night." You may to check it out if you want more practice...https://youtu.be/fOGMRnKl5co.

LeftyJohn likes this.
  7. LeftyJohn

Thanks jmin, much appreciated.

That slide idea seems to be common in the Kink's songs, makes me thing of You Really Got Me.

jmin likes this.
  8. Walt H

Walt H cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity

Hey John - it sounds great. This is one that I play a lot. I love the Bo Diddly sound...and the more I play it the crisper it sounds. I think you will find the same thing happening for you

LeftyJohn likes this.
  9. Paleo

Paleo What's the root?

Give me a C, a bouncy C.

Actually C#.

Anyway.

Maybe this will help put a little bounce into your strum.

I don't know exactly how to explain it or notate it, but I can demonstrate it.

Rather than strictly keeping my strum evenly up and down I put a bit of "groove" into it.

I'm gonna exaggerate it, so maybe you want to end up somewhere in between.

(Try to ignore the quality. My MacBook is threatening to die at any time.)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/pr35jxssqzr6la3/Bo.mp4?dl=0

#9 Paleo, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    jmin and LeftyJohn like this.
  10. LeftyJohn

Hi Paleo, that helps thanks! I feel I've got the 'robot' nailed :) You're video helps, I'll practice a bit and come back with an update shortly.

Thanks again, John