Ezdrummer 3

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I decided to upgrade from EZDRUMMER 2 TO EZ3 this week. As a recording nut, having more/better drum loops and sounds will save me from needing to edit my drum sounds as much. The interface is changed, but not in a major way, so easy to deal with. There is a huge amount of new loops in a wide variety of styles. More drum kits, brushes, congas, and all my EZdrummer 2 stuff still work seamlessly. Editing inside the program is improved though I prefer to do it in the DAW. The amount of control over each loop is vastly simplified. Ghost notes and intensity can be manipulated easily, making it simpler to build a rhythm in a song. Best of all, it all installs with a few clicks. If you desire more variety and ease of use for drums in your recordings, check this upgrade out. $99.
Here's a quick song I threw together with it.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Drums sound great!

BTW your vocals sound really good on this, open and natural or free (not sure what are the right adjectives, but I like it). :thumbup::thumbup:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I've never tried one of the drum programs. I know people who use Addictive Drums, EZ Drummer and SSD.
I started working with Impact XT in Studio One and have gotten so comfortable with it that all of the add-on programs seem like they would get in the way of my workflow.

The side benefit is that by working directly with the percussion editor I became much more aware of timing and timing intervals.

It always seemed easier for me to listen to and recreate a beat than to spend time searching for just the right loop.

I ain't knocking it. I just never tried it.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I have EZDrummer 2, but the built in drummer tools in Logic Pro are good enough for me, at least until I try to do something nontrivial. Time will soon come when I’ll be using this stuff a lot more.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Thanks fellas. I find it easier to get a nice groove by finding patterns and editing them. The Impact stuff I've tried seem too stiff and robotic, due to my lack of drum theory knowledge. It's been a long time since I've programmed beats into my Alesis-16.
Jim Morrison's voice is in a comfortable spot near the bottom of my vocal range. It's also much easier to sing stuff I've been singing along with for fifty years..

TexBill

Blues in Texas
@BraylonJennings WOW! That sounded great as you got into the vocals and intrument parts.

I did notice a slight buzzing at the very beginning that was covered up as it progressed. Not noticeable after you started playing and singing. Starting at 0:00 out at 0:06. Sounded like a ground fault.;

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The Impact stuff I've tried seem too stiff and robotic
I agree. It's probably not the most intuitive virtual instrument to use. There are a lot of things on drums it either doesn't do (or do well) or I haven't learned some of the secrets. The kits that come with Impact XT aren't the greatest, but I've managed to put together a few that I've grabbed from other sources.

After I wrote that post, I checked out Steven Slate Drums and I think I may grab a copy of that (certainly I will download the free version) and give it a try. In the samples I listened to on the SSD site, there were several things it seems to do that are either not possible in Impact XT or are well beyond my current skill set.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
That was excellent! I've got EZ Drummer 2 as well, but never really learned how to use it properly (like so many other things :(). Thanks for the inspiration. :Beer: