Elio's Fast Walking Blues

Elio

Student Of The Blues
A fast attempt at some fast-walking blues. My timing fluctuated a bit more than I like but I plan to keep working on it some more.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/5J3b3IDt/Fast_walking_blues.html

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Elio's Even Better Fast Walking Blues

Well, I guess more practice and a backing track makes a difference.  On to the next lesson...

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/__jlTtZG/Elios_improved_fast_walking_bl.html

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
Your second recording sounded good. However, I don't know if it is my ears (age and constant ringing sometimes really hamper my aural sensory perception) but it sounded like your timing was a little ahead of the backing track. 

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I think I was a little fast at times. That is one lesson that I keep having the annoying tendency to speed up on.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I think that your playing in both files is pretty good, but when playing with a backing tracking you have to pay attention to where the track is and the tempo of the track then ensure that you are playing at the same speed. as you can hear in your file you ended a second or two before the track, which means that you were not in time with it.
This will come with practice.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I think that your playing in both files is pretty good, but when playing with a backing tracking you have to pay attention to where the track is and the tempo of the track then ensure that you are playing at the same speed. as you can hear in your file you ended a second or two before the track, which means that you were not in time with it.
This will come with practice.

Thanks for the feedback. As I listen to it again, I am hearing that as well. The backing track seemed easier than the metronome to keep time to, but hearing those differences gives me an idea of what to focus on while playing.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Wow, what I uploaded is definitely much more out of synch than what I had recorded. I'm wondering if the tracks are getting out of synch in Audacity when they are exported to MP3?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
that can happen. it's called latency and you can adjust for it in Audacity.
You should be able to hear it if you listen (i think you have to turn over dubbing on??? maybe???) while you record.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
What is interesting is that when I play it in the Audacity project, it sounds fine, although I did get a slightly ahead of the backing track in places. Downloading and listening to the MP3 that I uploaded it is very far off.  I have made latency adjustments to tighten things up when recording but it obviously didn't address this.  I will experiment some more and listen to the MP3 this time before uploading it.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I figured it out! The problem wasn't  a latency issue. I somehow managed to drag my recorded track about  3 seconds to the left of the start after backing track. When I was going back to listen, I was actually listening to a recording of a prior attempt that was properly aligned, hence my confusion. You guys were being very kind describing the timing as "a little ahead"!  I will post a new recording with everything properly aligned.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
What is interesting is that when I play it in the Audacity project, it sounds fine, although I did get a slightly ahead of the backing track in places. Downloading and listening to the MP3 that I uploaded it is very far off.  I have made latency adjustments to tighten things up when recording but it obviously didn't address this.  I will experiment some more and listen to the MP3 this time before uploading it.

Audacity has a Time Shift tool that you can use to manually adjust your track forward or back in time. Also, perform a Mix and Render operation before exporting the file. Hope that helps.  [smiley=beer.gif]

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Re: Elio's Re-do of Fast Walking Blues

I'm familiar with the time shift tool since that is how I inadvertently moved the track in the first place :). Ok, here it is again with the track shifted back into place.   Thanks for the tip about the mix and render, I wasn't aware of that.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/SOKamFGw/elio_fast_walking2.html

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
MUCH better Elio. I've been using Audacity for over 3 years now and I still find myself wondering what the heck I did to do something right or wrong in it. I'm fighting a minor issue right now.