Elio's Fast Walking Blues

Discussion in 'Deep Sea Blues - Little Mary's Lamb' started by Elio, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Elio

Elio Student Of The Blues

A fast attempt at some fast-walking blues. My timing fluctuated a bit more than I like but I plan to keep working on it some more.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/5J3b3IDt/Fast_walking_blues.html

2. Elio

Elio's Even Better Fast Walking Blues

Well, I guess more practice and a backing track makes a difference.  On to the next lesson...

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/__jlTtZG/Elios_improved_fast_walking_bl.html

3. GeeDub

GeeDub Mojo Seeker

Your second recording sounded good. However, I don't know if it is my ears (age and constant ringing sometimes really hamper my aural sensory perception) but it sounded like your timing was a little ahead of the backing track. 

4. Elio

I think I was a little fast at times. That is one lesson that I keep having the annoying tendency to speed up on.

5. MikeS

MikeS Allen, TX
    Staff Member

I think that your playing in both files is pretty good, but when playing with a backing tracking you have to pay attention to where the track is and the tempo of the track then ensure that you are playing at the same speed. as you can hear in your file you ended a second or two before the track, which means that you were not in time with it.
    This will come with practice.

6. Elio

Thanks for the feedback. As I listen to it again, I am hearing that as well. The backing track seemed easier than the metronome to keep time to, but hearing those differences gives me an idea of what to focus on while playing.

7. Thatman

Thatman Playin' for the fun of it.

Your playing is ok but the sync is a bit off.  :-/

8. Elio

Wow, what I uploaded is definitely much more out of synch than what I had recorded. I'm wondering if the tracks are getting out of synch in Audacity when they are exported to MP3?

9. MikeS

MikeS Allen, TX
    Staff Member

that can happen. it's called latency and you can adjust for it in Audacity.
    You should be able to hear it if you listen (i think you have to turn over dubbing on??? maybe???) while you record.

10. Elio

What is interesting is that when I play it in the Audacity project, it sounds fine, although I did get a slightly ahead of the backing track in places. Downloading and listening to the MP3 that I uploaded it is very far off.  I have made latency adjustments to tighten things up when recording but it obviously didn't address this.  I will experiment some more and listen to the MP3 this time before uploading it.

11. Elio

I figured it out! The problem wasn't  a latency issue. I somehow managed to drag my recorded track about  3 seconds to the left of the start after backing track. When I was going back to listen, I was actually listening to a recording of a prior attempt that was properly aligned, hence my confusion. You guys were being very kind describing the timing as "a little ahead"!  I will post a new recording with everything properly aligned.

12. Jon3b

Jon3b Blues Newbie

Audacity has a Time Shift tool that you can use to manually adjust your track forward or back in time. Also, perform a Mix and Render operation before exporting the file. Hope that helps.  [smiley=beer.gif]

13. Elio

Re: Elio's Re-do of Fast Walking Blues

I'm familiar with the time shift tool since that is how I inadvertently moved the track in the first place :). Ok, here it is again with the track shifted back into place.   Thanks for the tip about the mix and render, I wasn't aware of that.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/SOKamFGw/elio_fast_walking2.html

14. Thatman

Thatman Playin' for the fun of it.

Can only say well done to that one.  [smiley=beer.gif]

15. MikeS

MikeS Allen, TX
    Staff Member

MUCH better Elio. I've been using Audacity for over 3 years now and I still find myself wondering what the heck I did to do something right or wrong in it. I'm fighting a minor issue right now.

16. Rockybottom

Rockybottom Senior Bluesman

That last recording was much better than the earlier ones.  Well done Elio.
    :cool: