Elio FIXIT Submission for January 31, 2023 Session

Elio

Student Of The Blues
In all honesty, I began working on this before I knew about Griff's Cream course. It is my best effort to-date at covering 2/3 of Cream on Outside Woman Blues, with apologies to Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce.

Any suggestions for EQ'ing bass are appreciated. It was my first attempt but I'm not sure I really improved it that much. I was trying for a little punchier Jack Bruce sound.

My plan was for my best friend from college to do the vocals. Unfortunately, he met with a tragic vocal strain while coaching/yelling at 5 year-olds on his grandson's flag football team, so the generic backing track vocals will have to do until he rests his voice a bit :cool:

Last edited:

Jack

Blues Junior
That was freakin' excellent Elio! Only advice I can give you on the bass sound is to bring it up a bit in the mix. During the solo it was about right, but (maybe?) a little too quiet in the other parts. Really impressive job on getting that main riff sync'd so well with the guitar and bass.

Great job!

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Well done, Elio! Sounds great! I agree with Jack about bringing the bass up a bit.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for the really nice comments, that was a really fun one!

Based on @MikeR and @Jack's suggestions, I decided to go back and bump up the bass in the mix and re-render the video. When I opened the project I discovered that somehow after my last mix, I managed to cut out all of the tracks in the DAW after about the first 15 seconds -- and then saved the project that way. I have absolutely no idea how I managed to do that, but sometimes I really surprise myself.

I'm usually meticulous about making backups, but this time I had just moved everything to a new drive and had forgotten to add it to my backup schedule. Since I'm waiting for my friend to contribute his vocals, it looks as though I will need to record all new audio and video o_O

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
@Elio, what is your DAW? In Studio One's "Browse" window, you can look through the "Pool" and I think you will find WAV files of everything you ever recorded for that song, including takes and layers that are not used and parts that have been cut out. (It might not be as simple as that, but I'm amazed at what's still in there.)

This makes me wonder if other DAWs might have something similar...

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
@Elio, what is your DAW? In Studio One's "Browse" window, you can look through the "Pool" and I think you will find WAV files of everything you ever recorded for that song, including takes and layers that are not used and parts that have been cut out. (It might not be as simple as that, but I'm amazed at what's still in there.)

I use Pro Tools, which does do automatic backups of the sessions. While the tracks are all intact, the actual audio WAV files they all reference are all trimmed, so every backup session I open has the same problem. You bring up a good point though. I will dig through the folders created in the project directory to see if there are temp or backup versions of the WAV files hiding in there somewhere.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what the heck I did to cause the problem. It's almost as though all of the tracks were selected at about the 15 second mark through the end and those portions deleted of every track. The last change I made was just some EQ adjustments of the bass, so there hasn't been any intentional cutting, pasting, or splicing of any tracks. If I had a cat, I would probably blame it for jumping on the keyboard, but I have to assume that I am the likely culprit. I just made sure to add the new drive to my backup schedule, so this hopefully won't happen again.

Elio

Student Of The Blues

You're a genius, Doug! I was about to throw in the towel and begin re-recording and reassembling the project but decided to take one last look first. I just went through each of the folders in the project directory and discovered that Pro Tools creates a copy of the latest WAV files for every session. Of course, it's in the "Audio Files" folder, which I just didn't look at closely enough the first time. It was a piece of cake to go through it and find the latest versions prior to my blowing it up. Thanks!!!