Electric or Acoustic

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Which is the best for BBG?  Or doesn't it matter. Or would playing both be the way to go, one at a time of course.  So many decisions, gives me a headache LOL. 

panther

Blues Newbie
Griff has the Acoustic Blues course, so I would say BBG is mainly focused on electric, but I would imagine either.
Dan

gdiddy

Blues Newbie
I've been using both ... I have my electric and acoustic both at the ready and I use whichever I'm "feelin'"! ;D
gdiddy

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Having done BBG, I found that either will work equally well.  I used an electric for most of it, but I occasionally switched to an acoustic for some variety and to make myself adapt to different guitars. I would say, use whatever is most comfortable to you for a given lesson.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Either will work. Electric will be easier to play if you are just learning, but if you have both, I'd try playing with both. The Acoustic will build you callouses more quickly and increase your finger strength.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Started using both, switch every day.  I think sitting easy blues sounds better on an acoustic.  IMO of course.

N

nwforehand59

I have my electric in my office and play that when working on a lesson with video.  I have one of my acoustics in the den along with a music stand.  I will take the book into the den and do work with the acoustic while hanging out in there or watching tv.

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
I have both an electric and an acoustic and in my opinion, either will work with BBG.  However, I began and finished the whole BBG course using an acoustic.  It worked fine and I personnaly enjoyed using the acoustic.  Good luck with the course, and have fun!

kiroba

Blues Newbie
Glad I looked around first because as a Newbie this thread answered my next question. I love this forum :cool:

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
The questions are what kind of Blues do you want to learn? Are you going to play regularly with a band or others? Do you think you will play mostly by yourself and for your pleasure?

If you are heading down the play with others or in a band then go electric. If you will play mostly for yourself and maybe some friends go acoustic. With BBG you can use either to full effect.

It Is once you get past BBG that you need to be more focused on acoustic or electric. Griff has a great acoustic course ABGU for when you finish BBG if that is your direction. If electric is your direction then BGU is the answer.

If money is not the issue then get both an acoustic and electric and play them both. :)

Byron_C

Blues Newbie
I recently have been working with both.  I play my Electric for several days and then switch to the acoustic for a day or two.  The acoustic strings are heavier and im finding that my hand strength is improving by using the acoustic.  I also like the acoustic to work out new pieces nice and slow and quiet, then use the electric to rock them out. Just my 2 cents worth

panther

Blues Newbie
Why would Griff bother to make the Acoustic course ? If the BBG was just as good for either genre of Guitar. The Acoustic may have added features.
I would say if it says "Acoustic" Griff had a reason.
YES both will work.
Pliers will work where a socket should be used, BUT they both work.

Dan

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Why would Griff bother to make the Acoustic course ? If the BBG was just as good for either genre of Guitar. The Acoustic may have added features.
I would say if it says "Acoustic" Griff had a reason.
YES both will work.
Pliers will work where a socket should be used, BUT they both work.

Dan
I think BBG is generally before both bgu and abgu. In your analogy why would Griff bother with BGU if he has BBG. It's becouse it goes further. Griff uses both for BBG. The BGU features electric and abgu features acoustic. BUT both can be done on either (but boy would some of the solo's from bgu be challenging on an acoustic :eek:).

cheers

Al.

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Al is right.
I think ABGU is more oriented towards playing solo, meaning no supporting band. BGU is more towards playing in a band situation. BBG is the basis for both.
What can be played on an acoustic can be played just as easy (or hard) on an electric. But not the other way around (like bending ? )

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Al is right.
I think ABGU is more oriented towards playing solo, meaning no supporting band. BGU is more towards playing in a band situation. BBG is the basis for both.
What can be played on an acoustic can be played just as easy (or hard) on an electric. But not the other way around (like bending ? )

This is true, but, ABGU will teach you so many things that you can, and should, use on electric too. That's why I'd say you can use either electric or acoustic.

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Lucky me... I have both ABGU and BGU and you're absolutely right Mike (y)
I do both with my electrics.

panther

Blues Newbie
I think BBG is generally before both bgu and abgu. In your analogy why would Griff bother with BGU if he has BBG. It's becouse it goes further. Griff uses both for BBG. The BGU features electric and abgu features acoustic. BUT both can be done on either (but boy would some of the solo's from bgu be challenging on an acoustic :eek:).

cheers

Al.

I misunderstood the OP question.
I thought he was asking if he should Use one or the other for BBG, I was suggesting that if he plans to play acoustic, that Acoustic blues was available, and that an acoustic guitar would be more appropriate. I didn't say one or the other wouldn't work, just that which way he intended to proceed. Absolutely either will work.

Lucky Larry said it more in the manner I intended.
Sorry about the confusion.

Dan

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
like most, I use what ever I am feeling at the time,some days.....I look around the room and grab the ovation, others,the sg........one always calls to me

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
I guess you could pretty much play most pieces with either guitar so you could be content with which ever guitar you have, however, as each type of guitar has uniquely different tones then it is purely a pleasure to ensure you have at least one of each, not that I'm encouraging GAS or anything. :rolleyes:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I guess you could pretty much play most pieces with either guitar so you could be content with which ever guitar you have, however, as each type of guitar has uniquely different tones then it is purely a pleasure to ensure you have at least one of each, not that I'm encouraging GAS or anything. :rolleyes:
encourage it encourage it