Ebdim7

DavidCayTex

Lovin’ every minute of it
Yesterday during the Live session Griff stated that you can move the Ebdim7 up 3 frets and it is still Ebdim7 (inversion) and then move it up 3 more frets and again you have Ebdim7 (different inversion). And then keep going.
I think that is really cool. Just so happens a version of a song I’m working on (Frosty the Snowman) has an Ebdim7. Coincidence?

So my question is: Are there any other chords you can do the same thing or similar with? I haven’t found any yet.
2F03C412-7A20-475F-81A5-0B26361A0B3A.jpeg

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
The reason this works is that the notes of the dim7 chord are each spaced a minor third (three half-steps or three frets) apart, and the octave has 12 half-steps, and 12 is 3 x 4.

Mathematically you could also create a chord with three tones each four half-steps apart (major third) that you could move up four frets at a time and have an inversion of the same chord. That chord would be R-3-#5, which is an augmented chord.

Other choices would be 2 notes 6 half-steps apart, and 6 notes 2 half-steps apart, but those aren't really chords.

Last edited:

DavidCayTex

Lovin’ every minute of it
The reason this works is that the notes of the dim7 chord are each spaced a minor third (three half-steps or three frets) apart, and the octave has 12 half-steps, and 12 is 3 x 4.

Mathematically you could also create a chord with three tones each four half-steps apart (major third) that you could move up four frets at a time and have an inversion of the same chord. That chord would be R-3-#5, which is an augmented chord.

Other choices would be 2 notes 6 half-steps apart, and 6 notes 2 half-steps apart, but those aren't really chords.

Thanks DVS.

Reactions: dvs

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
The other cool thing about those Diminished 7th chords is that they all have FOUR names - each of the chord tones can be considered the ROOT, because the intervals between the notes are symmetrical (all minor thirds).

So, your EbDim7 is also ADim7, CDim7 and F#Dim7.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
The b3 above should be considered Gb.

F# would be an augmented 2nd above Eb.

Gb is a m3 above Eb.

However we can use enharmonic equivalents.

The spelling of Ebdim7 would actually be Eb Gb Bbb Dbb.

While the spelling of F#dim7 is F# A C Eb. :sneaky:

Last edited:

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
@Paleo is absolutely right, and I stand corrected. But it's no wonder many people just don't "get" diminished chords.

I was taught that a Diminished chord resolves up a semitone (half-step). I suppose that's because the Diminished chord is the vii of the harmonised scale. But, since the Diminished chord has four roots, it can resolve up a semitone from any of those four notes. A really cool chord!!!!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think that would be the key in which Eb is the leading tone ;)
And that would give us ........ the non-existent Fb Major scale. o_O

Fb Gb Ab Bbb Cb Db Eb Fb

Even then, all 4 notes of the Ebdim7, regardless how you spell it, don't occur in the scale.

The dim7 chord doesn't occur "naturally" on any chord in a Major scale, while mb5 and m7b5 are built on the leading tone.

Even if we considered the Eb as D#, the leading tone of E Major, all the notes of D#dim7 (D# F# A C) don't occur in E Major.

If you've got a D#, C would also have a #.

And F# A C Eb from above with both a sharp and a flat? o_O

Yes, this is how I like to spend my time. :whistle:

And thanks for playing along.

Last edited:

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
And thanks for playing along.

Music theory is GOOD FUN!! There are so many subtleties and anomalies, and interesting bits and pieces to explore.

I'm presently working on a piece that has a key signature for C Major. I'll just read through it and type in the accidentals -

Ab, Gb, Db, Bb, Eb, Bnatural (same bar as the Bb), G#, F#, D#, Db, Gb. And the last note is A - whew, it's hard work.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I need to apologise for claiming that the Diminished chord is the vii of the scale - of course it's the m7b5 half-diminished .... d'oh!!!