Dropbox v Soundcloud

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
I'm trying to decide where to store recordings to share in the virtual jam room; lessons and the like. I am an avid Dropbox user but it seems like Soundcloud is a little more music friendly. Can I get thoughts from the forum on this?

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Dropbox is useful for sharing music files in a controlled and targeted way - you can allow access to a file for specific individuals, anyone with the link, or the whole wide world. The built-in music player seems to work ok. In my opinion, it is much better for the uses you mentioned than Soundcloud.

Soundcloud is kind of hard to figure out (my opinion, again). Also on the minus side, users need to have an account to download files - that is not a dealbreaker, but makes it less easy for VJR, for example - and I found the social media aspect of it to be useless and even irritating (regularly receiving and turning down "friend requests" from spammers). If I were trying to get the world interested in my music, though, Soundcloud would probably work better for that than Dropbox. Also, there's no reason you can't have both!

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I have both and use neither. But my method is a side benefit of some other stuff I have going on and is not a solution for most people.

Like @dvs said, each has its own advantages and disadvantages. If I was planning on regularly using one, it would be Dropbox, simply because there is no "community" with Dropbox. I've seen some rather snide comments posted on a few Soundcloud recordings I've sampled. Dropbox also shares only the target file. Most times I'm on Soundcloud, after the posted recording plays, something else comes up, often seemingly unrelated to why I'm there in the first place.

Soundcloud seems like a showcase environment, where you can add your recordings to their database and people can browse and casually come upon your material. Dropbox is more like a post office box. Your choice.