about taking another shot at a band.
If this pandemic ever ends
If I can find the right people
IF (Big IF)I'm good enough to play the songs

Band name: 3 of a kind
Logo (Needs Work): 3 Kings.jpg

Now the hard part...
The set list....
I'll need around 30 songs, so what are your 10 favorite songs rom each performer?

Reactions: EJG

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
You might be putting the cart in front of the horse. As far as a set list, I would probably wait until you have a band assembled. You'll end up with band members who have been in bands before who might have favorite songs to play or sing. If you are the lead singer, your input will be mean more than anyone else. Four out of the six members in the band I'm in had songs they wanted to sing, so as long as everybody liked them they went into the set list. We do have a lead singer who sings 90% of the songs. We also did stuff like each member submit 10 songs they wanted the band to do. Then we would vote yay or nay and try some out at a practice. I hope it works out!

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
The set list....
I'll need around 30 songs, so what are your 10 favorite songs rom each performer?

Mike, from Albert I think you could consider:
Personal Manager
Born Under a Bad Sign (of course)
Crosscut Saw
Phone Booth
Truckload of Lovin'
Blues at Sunrise
Chump Change
Cold Women with Warm Hearts
We All Wanna Boogie
Blues at Sunrise

And as a bonus, if you've got a really good singer, Albert's version of "The Very Thought of You" from the Masterworks album is the best I've ever heard. It's not blues but it's a standard for good reason.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
You might be putting the cart in front of the horse. As far as a set list, I would probably wait until you have a band assembled. You'll end up with band members who have been in bands before who might have favorite songs to play or sing. If you are the lead singer, your input will be mean more than anyone else. Four out of the six members in the band I'm in had songs they wanted to sing, so as long as everybody liked them they went into the set list. We do have a lead singer who sings 90% of the songs. We also did stuff like each member submit 10 songs they wanted the band to do. Then we would vote yay or nay and try some out at a practice. I hope it works out!

I think Tommy is spot on here

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Mike, from Albert I think you could consider:
Personal Manager
Born Under a Bad Sign (of course)
Crosscut Saw
Phone Booth
Truckload of Lovin'
Blues at Sunrise
Chump Change
Cold Women with Warm Hearts
We All Wanna Boogie
Blues at Sunrise

And as a bonus, if you've got a really good singer, Albert's version of "The Very Thought of You" from the Masterworks album is the best I've ever heard. It's not blues but it's a standard for good reason.

You forgot "Blues at Sunrise"...otherwise, awesome set. ;)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Well, I tried it the "democratic way" and everybody thought they were the band leader and their songs should be done in a SPECIFIC key regardless whether I could sing it or not. Oh did I mention that I sang 90% of the songs? Plus some songs no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get the cadence down. (Believe it or not "Thrill Is Gone" is one that I can't stand the way I sing it. I don't know if it's minor key thing or what.).

So I decided to try the "My Band, My set list" in The MikeS Band... that didn't last either. It was classic rock and there are just too many options there and I don't have the guitar chops to learn all those strange ass leads. plus "I can't play there, it's a smoking venue" or "I had something come up and I can't make tomorrow night's gig." (BTW: it was out FIRST gig.)

So attempt # 3 may primarily be a blues band hence "Three Of A Kind". Now finding the right individuals is gonna be the hard part.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I hear there's a new kid in town and he's pretty good!

Yeah I heard that too and my instructor always tells me to play with people that are better than I am. But I hear that his wife is a bit of a Yoko (she's not listening to this is she? I'm afraid, very afraid!!!.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Well, I tried it the "democratic way" and everybody thought they were the band leader and their songs should be done in a SPECIFIC key regardless whether I could sing it or not. Oh did I mention that I sang 90% of the songs? Plus some songs no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get the cadence down. (Believe it or not "Thrill Is Gone" is one that I can't stand the way I sing it. I don't know if it's minor key thing or what.).

So I decided to try the "My Band, My set list" in The MikeS Band... that didn't last either. It was classic rock and there are just too many options there and I don't have the guitar chops to learn all those strange ass leads. plus "I can't play there, it's a smoking venue" or "I had something come up and I can't make tomorrow night's gig." (BTW: it was out FIRST gig.)

So attempt # 3 may primarily be a blues band hence "Three Of A Kind". Now finding the right individuals is gonna be the hard part.

I guess in Texas you have plenty of demand for that music, round here most folks want to hear country music and same handful of tunes