Django Rheinhardt Minor Swing

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
I did search AAP and came across a Joe B Django session 1/20/21. This ain’t that. I’ve been intrigued for some time with gypsy jazz. Currently doing MUL, CBCBS, and CAGED simultaneously, I doing/learning all kinds of arpeggios. And I’m hearing Dorian, Mixolydian, Aeolian in Django Rheinhardt songs like Minor Swing. Its a cool sound (I think Am,Dm,E7) with great lead lines.

I’d love a session on this kind of stuff. Plenty of Django stuff out there. Saw a movie “Chocolate” that had all this in the soundtrack which was credited to Rachel Portman. Johnny Depp acted in the movie and played guitar on Minor Swing and Caravan (another great tune). On SXM Bluesville, BB King cites Django Rheinhardt as one of his influences.

Thanks,
John in NC

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
My wife and I are closet Francophiles and enjoy much of the jazz coming out of France. I have seen some intriguing documentaries about the influence of Django Reinhardt that have kept me enthusiastic about the music. The guitars are also very cool looking. A course into this "gypsy jazz" as you call it would definitely pique my interest.

Last edited:

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
I did search AAP and came across a Joe B Django session 1/20/21. This ain’t that. I’ve been intrigued for some time with gypsy jazz. Currently doing MUL, CBCBS, and CAGED simultaneously, I doing/learning all kinds of arpeggios. And I’m hearing Dorian, Mixolydian, Aeolian in Django Rheinhardt songs like Minor Swing. Its a cool sound (I think Am,Dm,E7) with great lead lines.

I’d love a session on this kind of stuff. Plenty of Django stuff out there. Saw a movie “Chocolate” that had all this in the soundtrack which was credited to Rachel Portman. Johnny Depp acted in the movie and played guitar on Minor Swing and Caravan (another great tune). On SXM Bluesville, BB King cites Django Rheinhardt as one of his influences.

Thanks,
John in NC.
Hopefully link below is Rachel Portman/Johnny Depp ‘Minor Swing’

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'd have to see Johnny Depp play that myself to believe it.
I saw him at the 2019 Crossroads show in Dallas and he played with Jeff Beck and Johnny didn't deserve to be on the same stage.