Pedals/Effects Digitech Trio

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Does anyone use the Digitech Trio band creator? Not the one with the looper but the original one. I got this years ago and never used it. I'm trying to record Key to the Highway using this pedal and the bass and rhythms are totally different than expected. That would be fine except it is really difficult to figure out where the first measure starts? No matter how I count and tap my foot I rarely get it right. When I start it's creation it doesn't sound like it's on 1. Nor does when I stop it and restart it it doesn't sound like it's on 1. What is the secret to this pedal?

I'm running it through my Blues Jr and playing the guitar through my Nace.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I use one one !
My only recommendation is to play simple rhythm patterns
It does not react well to any embellishment in the chords while it’s in the learning phase.
Of course, dial thru a few of the various options for play back.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I use one one !
My only recommendation is to play simple rhythm patterns
It does not react well to any embellishment in the chords while it’s in the learning phase.
Of course, dial thru a few of the various options for play back.
Key to the Highway is 8 bar Blues shuffle. I've been playing into the Trio just counting out the rhythm and playing the Major chords without the dominant 7th. It's just not obvious when the first measure starts or comes around. Any other tips? thanks

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I like to lay down a rhythm on a looper and then feed that into the trio and let them run together
Are you saying that you have drums, bass, and rhythm guitar all at once with the original Trio? How does that work? That would be really cool!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Are you saying that you have drums, bass, and rhythm guitar all at once with the original Trio? How does that work? That would be really cool!
Can't speak for @PapaBear but I think what he's saying is....
Use a looper to record your rhythm then send that to the Trio instead of plying the rhythm directly from the guitar.
If you do have a looper and you think you can play the loop and the Trio Bass/Drums all simultaneously, don't count on it!........
you will run into syncing issues.
Papabear is merely describing an alternate way to send the rhythm into the Trio so it can learn..

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Can't speak for @PapaBear but I think what he's saying is....
Use a looper to record your rhythm then send that to the Trio instead of plying the rhythm directly from the guitar.
If you do have a looper and you think you can play the loop and the Trio Bass/Drums all simultaneously, don't count on it!........
you will run into syncing issues.
Papabear is merely describing an alternate way to send the rhythm into the Trio so it can learn..
I has to be a pretty simple Rhythm played perfectly in time, as Moto said it's a challenge, you can also on trickier stuff get your bass and drums going on the trio, then put that into your looper and add the rhythm on

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I wonder if you may be experiencing the same issue I initially had!
The biggest problem I had with a looper was getting the loop started at EXACTLY the right place.. on one. Initially I tried to stomp on the button simultaneously with starting to play.
That tended to create a 'blip' in the loop. After experimenting a bit, I found it was better to play through a cycle of the chords and THEN stomp on the button EXACTLY as I got back around to one... and of course end the loop at exactly the end.

BTW I have the Trio Plus and a ditto.

Hope this was helpful.

Good luck

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I did this with the Trio and a looper pedal. It was complicated to hook it up. I had a hard time getting the rhythm to stay sync'd to the trio.

I ran the Trio bass and drum output to one channel on a stereo looper. I then plugged the guitar into the Trio input to establish the drum and bass.

My original intent was to use the trio only for drums. Then I would play a bass line into the looper on top of the drum track, and run the drum/bass signal to a bass amp. Unfortunately I sucked at bass so much, and the Trio bass was so good, the Trio drummer refused to play with me on bass, and would only play with the Trio bass.

The main advantage of the Trio + is that the built in looper makes the rhythm track you play and the drum/bass track to be perfectly in sync. It does the start stop of the rhythm to match perfectly with the drum/bass.

Both worked real well except the drum and bass track from the Trio and even the rhythm guitar said my lead was so bad they wouldn't play with me. It was a sad thing, and brought back childhood memories of those reindeer games.

What I need is a mode on the Trio+ that makes the drum and bass and even the looped rhythm track to mess up. Then I can feel all superior, like a lead guitar player should. That's why they are called lead. ;-)

I should advertise for bandmates, "Wanted: Drummer, bass player, rhythm guitar player, who all play worse than me. But of course then I wouldn't want to play with a bunch of no-talent players anyway?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I have the TRIO+ and when I‘d train it for blues I’d play a basic 12 bar into it using plain open chords, exactly one chorus then stop. I found that in playback in blues mode the bass and especially drums would to a turnaround at the end of each chorus. I never tried an 8 bar to see if it was smart enough to know the difference.

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I do pretty much what @PapaBear does, which is to place the looper ahead of the Trio and first play the chord progression into the looper. Then, start the looper playback and use that to start training the Trio (the Trio only starts training when it hears input, so you don't have to hit them simultaneously), then just hit the Trio button at the end of the chord progression so that the Trio begins playing back along with the looper. It takes a bit of practice but hitting the Trio at the right time is about the same as being able to end the looper input at the right time to get a clean loop. After that, just dial in the right genre and style and you are good to go.

My alternative approach is to record the bass and drums separately from the Trio into the DAW (I use Pro Tools), where I can then record rhythm and lead guitar tracks over them and do a final mix.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I did this with the Trio and a looper pedal. It was complicated to hook it up. I had a hard time getting the rhythm to stay sync'd to the trio.

I ran the Trio bass and drum output to one channel on a stereo looper. I then plugged the guitar into the Trio input to establish the drum and bass.

My original intent was to use the trio only for drums. Then I would play a bass line into the looper on top of the drum track, and run the drum/bass signal to a bass amp. Unfortunately I sucked at bass so much, and the Trio bass was so good, the Trio drummer refused to play with me on bass, and would only play with the Trio bass.

The main advantage of the Trio + is that the built in looper makes the rhythm track you play and the drum/bass track to be perfectly in sync. It does the start stop of the rhythm to match perfectly with the drum/bass.

Both worked real well except the drum and bass track from the Trio and even the rhythm guitar said my lead was so bad they wouldn't play with me. It was a sad thing, and brought back childhood memories of those reindeer games.

What I need is a mode on the Trio+ that makes the drum and bass and even the looped rhythm track to mess up. Then I can feel all superior, like a lead guitar player should. That's why they are called lead. ;-)

I should advertise for bandmates, "Wanted: Drummer, bass player, rhythm guitar player, who all play worse than me. But of course then I wouldn't want to play with a bunch of no-talent players anyway?
It sounds like if I want to have my Trio rhythm input to stay in the mix I need the second generation Trio +. If I had the rhythm I played along with the Trio bass and drums Trio created input it would be a lot easier to tell where I was in the song. The drums are a little scattered and don't always make sense and the bass is difficult to tell where it is and what chord it's playing too.... :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
There is an option to select Simple Bass on both the Trio and the Trio+. Then the bass part is much simpler and easier to keep track. You may try enabling that.
Yeah, I think in simple bass mode the bass line just plays the root note on a groove.