Deminished scales

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Has Griff ever done something on deminished scales ? I mean something like this (but then in his style):

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=Zpxvl7sMkkw&u=/watch?v%3DO41TRihvuCE%26feature%3Dem-subs_digest-g-vrecs&g=CQYxnOJ53lkO5X0IhRY0eXESD7mf6xjvZg294ivSsgsCuwAnk6QGvMzGfIAlbbyCDADc2LDgt5JvPT12BWF4lD6ILo_5__CdIH5sQPZ4uAfnmbY4pn9fcHXLoWxX4Ms5bNwfj_5b3nugra3rwiB1aWsZ-sOqxR45xQPDJo_Rzfis0Fk%3D

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Yeah, it's an interresting sound, kind of jazzy. I like it, so I tried a bit the other day. But It's not easy at all. Probably need lessons (by Griff), but maybe it is to confusing to mix it with 'normal' blues scales and boxes.  :(

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Thanks Momantai...interesting possibilities and a neat sound.  I might try to mix it into box 1 initially as Renman recommended.

B

Bolar

The diminished scale is a great scale to know, but a bit difficult to use. It's very different from maj, min or pentatonic scales in two ways. First, being a symetrical scale it doesn't have that same strong "root feeling" as the other scales have. When playing a major scale, you know when you hit the root note, with the diminished ( and wholetone, which is another symetrical scale) scale, the root is less obvious, making tonality more elusive. Second, it tends to make use of the higher, altered content of the chord, like b9, #9, #11, b13 and other notes that are rather uncommon in traditional blues (except #11/b5 ofc). Jazz influenced blues players like Robben Ford or Larry Carlton use this scale a lot.