Deep Sea Blues

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Take 1, not exactly there, but you know how it is trying to record :)

Is it close enough to move on & make it a warm up peice to polish & fine tune it do you think? Or maybe put some more work in on it yet, timing is always my problem :)

http://www.4shared.com/audio/gLO9UsMN/DeepSeaBlues.html

M

MandyC

Nice one Ray :cool:
All the right elements are there (including bar11 and the dreaded C7 chord !!) it just needs to flow more which will come with time and practice.
I'd move on but keep it in your practice session to get it a bit smoother.
The next few lessons are quite different (and good ones to help develop your timing) so it will add a bit of variety and keep things more interesting

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Nice first shot at this one. Your timing will improve the more that you play this one.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks both - I have found with the earlier lessons, which I still play every day as warm up, that they smooth out with time, so I think I'll treat myself by starting the next piece but keep playing this daily as well :)

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Thanks for posting Ray. You've got the notes down, now it's just time to "feel" the song. Good work man!

J

jhagan421

Hey Ray.
You're movingalong now It's great to see you posting recordings.  It's all there, just a bit of tightening up to do.  It seems like you are playing it a bit in sections.  the playing is really good.  link those riffs and chords together and its on to the next challenge!

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
You put your finger on it Josh, I was playing it still in pieces as I learnt it and also as Spencer said the 'feel' was still needed - same reason I'm thinking.

I may try a take 2 in a week or so to see if I've smoothed it out a little.

Note to self - don't be in too much of a hurry to record :) The benefits of recording are great though, without the input of all you guys I wouldn't have such an insight into how I'm doing :)

RALKITE

Blues Newbie
I believe the recordings with room for improvement are more helpful for getting advise targeted at the areas we need work on.

M

MandyC

I think recording regularly is a good idea even if you don't post them all and just use them to chart your progress. You often hear things in the recordings that you weren't aware of when you were playing.
Anyway. There's no shame in posting stuff you aren't entirely happy with because, as you say, you get useful feedback. We're all learning or we wouldn't be here.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Nice work Ray.  You've got everything under your fingers & it will flow more & more smoothly every time you play it.  As others have said, keep it in your practice routine but definitely move on as well.  Thanks for posting it.

M

mw1954

Good job on what I think was the hardest of the call and response stuff in BBG . I still play it most days though .

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks both... I work on it everyday still & I think some of the rough edges are coming off now. It helps to be working on Fast Walking Blues at the same time, they are so different it keeps a practice session going longer :)

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
Good going Ray. Keep it up. It is nerve-wracking to record oneself. Glad you put it out there for us. Just keep working on it! Your fingers will know what comes next because you'll have the highs and lows of the melody in your head.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks Sunny... you're right, thats beginning to happen more now. I do tend to think I'm ready to record long before I really am, but I do get some great tips that way :)

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
Thanks Sunny... you're right, thats beginning to happen more now. I do tend to think I'm ready to record long before I really am, but I do get some great tips that way :)

You're not the only one.  Believe me, listen to my recordings and you'll know. 

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Nice post - like folks have said, you've got the notes - now just work on the timing.  Get the slow backing track and ease into it.  Meanwhile, if you haven't already, continue with next lesson.  :cool:

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Good job Ray! Sounding just a little uncertain is all... practice and familiarity will improve that. Remember what I said about blues being a 'conversation'? Try to identify each 'voice' and each 'statement'; some are longer than others; one may be just a quick chord slash, while others might be 2, 3 or even 4 bars long... but they're easy to spot once you know what to look for; and then when you can identify each 'voice' in a song, it seems to make it easier for me to express it, 'cause I kinda 'know' what it's saying... sorta... if you follow my gist?

Anyway; you deserve a nice coldie; inspiration for the next one! Cheers!

[smiley=beer.gif]

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks Dave, that makes a lot of sense, I do need to work on the feel of the music & what it's saying a lot more.

My round I think  [smiley=beer.gif]