December AAP ideas

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Ideas for AAP sessions during December.

• Guitar wireless systems. Are the budget systems worth it (like the Line 6 Relay systems)? Would they work well in a band context (like a worship band)? There are different amps for acoustic and electrics, so are wireless systems different as well? What kind of considerations need to be taken into account when thinking about buying one?
  • Make a whiskey Wednesday a true whiskey Wednesday. What are your fave whiskeys and why? Background to this one: I don't drink (a decision I made when I got old enough to realize that much of my extended fam were drunks - like a they-actually-have-a-problem-and-need-AA-or-something kind of thing), but I have a buddy that I want to give a good whiskey for Christmas. I have no idea what to get him. Talk about whiskey some Wednesday. Not guitar related, but we're all family enough we know Griff is like a whiskey connoisseur, so play a little and talk a little, rinse, repeat for 45 minutes or an hour. Or, talk about whiskey and give us some tips on playing a good drinking song. You get the idea.
  • How to make a good setlist. I've heard it said that, to make a great setlist, you need to pick songs that will get folks out of their seats and up dancing, but, without having played a lot at dance halls, how do you know what songs people are dancing to? Is it like a mixtape from when we were kids where you want to pick a few upbeat songs and then slow it down a bit before picking it back up or is there a certain bpm that you aim for? Or do you listen to the local oldies station and grab the songs it plays since it's going to be by and large the popular songs from across the years. How do you go about putting together a good set?
  • A tour of Griff's guitars and his wall of amps. We know a lot of the guitars that Griff uses from time to time (since we see them in the vids) and that he is a fan of Suhr guitars. How about the amps as well? How many does he really have, and does he make Joe B's collection look small? What does he like/dislike about some of them?
  • Basic jazz chords and sounds. Since a lot of the Christmas songs seem to have a bit of that jazz sound, how about a primer to jazz as it relates to blues. Maybe something like a recap and expansion on Lesson 12 from BGU. Bonus: make the example a Christmas song since it's that time of year.

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
Griff, maybe you have already done this but I was just listening to your Ultimate Blues Jams and was thinking you could demo how you use these and/or how we can apply some of the solos you have given us using these jams.