December 2022 Challenge - It's the Holidays!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
As per non-executive @sloslunas executive decision, the theme for December 2022 has been decided.
It's a holiday theme for the month. Here are the rules.
  1. The song must be about a holiday or at least have a holiday theme to it (peace on earth, goodwill towards men, raise a glass in toast, buy me something.).
  2. The holiday can be explicit or implicit.
  3. It doesn't have to be about a holiday that happens in December. If Guy Fawkes Day or Arbor Day is your preference, go for it.
  4. If you want to write a song, you can make one up about any holiday. You can even make up the holiday if you like.
  5. Original recording, as sparse or as intricate as you choose to make it. Guitar and vocals are fine. Guitar and kazoo are fine. Full backing track is fine.
  6. Anything you can possibly conflate with a holiday is allowable (@JohnHurley you can conflate Cranberries with Thanksgiving or Christmas). See what I did for you? We try to be inclusive.
  7. If you don't like these rules, you may choose to completely ignore them and record any song you choose.
  8. If you sing like Mariah Carey, you get extra points. If you sing like Drew Carey, points will be deducted.

Time's a wastin' and Santa Claus is keeping his list.

Last edited:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
All right heres a stab at zombie its not bad guitar a bit too loud … cranberries cover!

What you guys think?

Dec challege entry ==> Cranberries
That put a smile on my face. First 4 non-blondes, now Delores Riordan, I think there's a chick singer in you trying to get out. Or a female vocalist, in proper 21st century language. You sing it pretty well, too. The sort of angry Neil Young style guitar works and I think you could develop that. The only thing missing was a soaring lead solo over the ending. Nice demo, John.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
That put a smile on my face. First 4 non-blondes, now Delores Riordan, I think there's a chick singer in you trying to get out.

Keeping fingers crossed i know a drummer who digs that song. So … its new.

Its a difficult song to sing for sure.

Glad you liked it thanks!

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I heard this song on satellite radio last week, felt it was the perfect song for this month's challenge. Written five years ago by Rodney Crowell, I thought it was a simple three chord rocker, but ol-Rod snuck in a few extra chords when I really listened. Still, a two minute ditty I'll send out to @mountain man for obvious reasons and with joyous intent. Let's Skip Christmas This Year.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Good song choice, @BraylonJennings, and a nice mix. I never heard that before, and I hope Mountain Man will approve. As a non-celebrator myself, I certainly do. Well played! :thumbup::thumbup:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
You guys are off to a HOT start for this months challenge! I have just started working on "Father Christmas" by the Kinks. Pretty much got through the basic rhythm guitar part today. It has a tricky little timing to it that took several passes to sort of get right. Bass part is next on the agenda. For the first time I used the Moises app to split the bass, guitar, drums and vocals apart. It did an surprisingly amazing job. I will be able to use the drum track from Moises for my take.

I have not tried singing any of the vocals yet. I have a feeling that this one is going to push my limited vocal abilities way past that limit. So...If there are any Ray Davies impersonators out there that want to lend your vocal talents to this one, please let me know.

Last edited:

sloslunas

NM Blues
I heard this song on satellite radio last week, felt it was the perfect song for this month's challenge. Written five years ago by Rodney Crowell, I thought it was a simple three chord rocker, but ol-Rod snuck in a few extra chords when I really listened. Still, a two minute ditty I'll send out to @mountain man for obvious reasons and with joyous intent. Let's Skip Christmas This Year.
Smokin'! Well played sir...

Steve

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I liked it. Never heard it before--good going.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I don't get the objection to "Back Door Santa".

Check out the lyrics.

It's not even about Christmas.

It's just the opposite.

The guy says he delivers his presents through the back door whenever he gets the call, unlike St. Nick who only comes once a year.

Ol' Nick must get pretty frustrated. o_O

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks some people will dig it others not so much.

It was a first take on recording and guitar into mix too much … but i was having fun.
Not my favorite song, but you aren't playing it "for" me. That you like it is all that matters.

Though I agree with David that your guitar sounds out of tune. Maybe it's in tune, but you are squeezing the string back out of tune??? I particularly noticed it around the 3:00 mark, and I'd back off the distortion a bit too.
These last bits are just my 2 cents worth.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Thanks some people will dig it others not so much.

It was a first take on recording and guitar into mix too much … but i was having fun.
I think sometimes it might be worth listening to your first take and fixing problems you hear, then post a second take (or however many you need). I agree with David and Mike that having the guitar in better tune would help this one. Also, if you're using that much distortion (which is clearly a sound you like!) you'd probably be better off with Griff's little chords (2 or 3 strings, BGU lesson 4). The full, open chords you're using tend to get really muddy with that much gain. Finally, you mentioned that you thought the guitar was too loud in the mix - maybe you could check your levels in a test recording and set them the way you want for the final take you post for the challenge. :Beer:

Last edited: