December 2021 Challenge - What year did you turn 18?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
For those of our friends not in the U.S., 18 is (was) a major rite of passage for former U.S. colonials. In a lot of U.S. states, the legal drinking age (aka, debauchery phase 1) was 18 at the time. So, for this challenge, direct your questions to Google to ask what tunes were released in the year you turned 18.

For the demographic represented in this forum, there should be some absolutely tantalizing blues, R&B, Rock & Roll, nuggets that you can relate to which should make for an ass-kicking contribution to the December 2021 challenge!

Party on dudes!

Edit: If you have your heart set on a tune that was within a year or two of when you turned 18, no one here is going to check your ID.

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
1981 for me. This song will be my first attempt.
Drum track…check.
Cannons…check.
Bass and rhythm parts…working on them.
Angus’ lead parts…I might be able to hit a few correct notes here and there, we’ll see what happens:whistle:.
Vocals…:eek::eek::eek:. Why did I pick this song??? I’ll leave that for last. Will probably have to warm up with several beverages to loosen up my vocal cords…or this one will just be another instrumental:Beer:.

4E50FCB4-840E-4ED6-AA96-F9C66E2DDDCD.jpeg

Jack

Blues Junior
I've always loved the opening guitar riff in "For Those About To Rock!" Look forward to hearing your version.

It's 1982 for me...sooooo much to choose from.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
In 1944 Benny Goodman ruled-------Oh wait that was when I was born:Beer:
A lot of classics came out in 1962---Ray Charles pretty much ruled with 3 on one list and 5 on the R&B charts. The Beach Boys made their 1st top 100 list debut Surfin' Safari @100, Booker T and the MGs -Green Onions came out. Chubby Checker- with the twist--- Sam Cooke.--Bring it on home to me.----
Where do I go from here???? . Stormy Monday Blues; Finger Poppin' Time: Ahab the Arab: The list goes on & on & on. And I havn't checked the country top 100 yet.:eek:

Jack

Blues Junior
LOL, Mike Score was (and now is again) the singer, and he looks like this nowadays o_O

OBtwBOC.jpg

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I've always loved the opening guitar riff in "For Those About To Rock!" Look forward to hearing your version.

I’ve got the rhythm and bass parts done with no problems. Started working on the little finger pickin’ intro riff tonight. How can something so simple be so hard to get to sound right???:mad::mad::mad: Finally had to just put the guitar down for the night and will try it again tomorrow. Realized my finger picking needs a little work, even when I am just plucking all three strings at the same time.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
A quick start from Steve. Keep em coming, a little better every time. I've been recording most of the challenge songs fast, but not that fast. I'm taking a little different tack this time. No three chord stuff, I'm going to have a lot of learning going on for this one. Major seventh, minor, sus chords out the butt. A tricky solo over about eight different chords. A piano part. Even a bridge. Yeah, it's gonna be a mess. Hope I can sing it. Or at least finish. The last challenge song of 2021, I'm gonna give it hell. Presonus Studio One will get a workout.
Or maybe I'm the guy Griff mentioned who wants to learn songs way to difficult for him.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
@sloslunas
You're off to a quick start for December.(y)

A pleasant song to kick us off.:)

You must be pretty comfy with your new setup, songs are flowing like water from a mountain stream.

I like the guitar tone and the vocals keep getting smoother.

I think you need some drums to anchor your next production.;)

:thumbup:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Hey Steve, you're turning out songs quicker than 'Stock Aitken Waterman' ever did!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I know I've said it before, but I love the timbre of your voice, and with your new found recording skills you are turning out some lovely pieces. Well done sir.(y)(y)