Crushed but not broken

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Got my BGIAB today at my work address and excited I opened it up and the case was cracked and colapsed to pieces and it looks as if was shipped that way cause the shipping box didn't look damaged. Hopefully the DVD are ok. Haven't had a chance to play them yet. PM the help desk and I'm sure Griff will Help with a new case if He sees this.

Anyway at first glance at the manual it it looks a little daunting. The Tab looks like a foreign language compared to other courses i have of his.
My question is does Griff go over the tab and what it means in the dvds. Also how long on average to go through one song and get it down?

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Yes the format is quite typical, all the songs have the licks broken down into manageable sections.

As for how long it'll take you, well how long is a piece of string. I have the course and whilst it's great it is a challenge, I've parked it until I master a few more of the 5 Easy Solos etc. Good luck.  :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I think what you are referring to is all the little tails and such. It makes it a bit harder to read, but it also gives you ALL the information that you need. All that "stuff" indicates the time for each note.
If you look above the tab you will see the same kind of "tails" on the standard notation.
This way you can tell which note in the tab is an 1/8th or which is 1/4 note...

If there are any specific ones that you don't understand, post them here and I'm sure that someone can explain.

How long the course will take varies by individual (how experienced are you? how much time per day can you spend on it...)

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
Got my BGIAB today at my work address and excited I opened it up and the case was cracked and colapsed to pieces and it looks as if was shipped that way cause the shipping box didn't look damaged. Hopefully the DVD are ok. Haven't had a chance to play them yet. PM the help desk and I'm sure Griff will Help with a new case if He sees this.

Anyway at first glance at the manual it it looks a little daunting. The Tab looks like a foreign language compared to other courses i have of his.
My question is does Griff go over the tab and what it means in the dvds. Also how long on average to go through one song and get it down?

i think its probably a supplier issue...mine arrived ok but i dropped it on the counter and the case literally fell apart. Bummer but not worth returning it just for that, i'll just use the case from the original BGU course that i dont need anymore since upgrading. Ive had the BGIAB for a while now....it does look challenging so ive been putting it off till im ready for it.

ToneSeeker

indecisive player ... I suppose..
Just ordered this, got both versions, the DVD version shipped yesterday. I see you posted this in December. I'm wondering how you are liking this 4 months in now, do you have all these songs somewhat memorized, or are you poking away at these?

KiloMike

Eager Student
Well, I'm not the OP, but I also purchased both versions in December, and started working on Deep Ellum Blues from Vol2 in mid early-mid January. I chose it because it is a slow blues (which I like) and seemed to be pretty easy. I did Down and Out from Vol2 in March (though I just posted the recording last week) and have begun working on I Believe from Vol1. Generally, I think the individual videos for each example, along with the on-screen tab, make Vol2 easier to learn, but if you spend the time, both are well worth it. I have no doubt that experienced guitar players who are just learning the blues could go much faster than I am, but as a relative newbie at guitar, I feel like I an clipping through at a fairly aggressive pace. YMMV.

Steve Obal

Blues Newbie

I have bginab volume II. I've been working on the first of five songs for eight months. I have all the phrases down, just can't keep up with the last four during the slow play along. My bad, Griff is an amazing instructor.