CRGU Solo #1

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Well you take the recording honour THISMAN o_O so I'll be sending the cake through the post, nice one.

Regards
Thatman (y)

Steve51

4-thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Can't listen to it on my phone, the link tries to make me install all kind of crap on my phone...

My experience as well, but it was with my iPad. Still, if you're talking about an iPhone it's the same operating system, iOS, and we have the same issue. If your phone is something different, you can skip this.

So my iOS workaround involves a downloaded app I have had for a little over a year, now. (Sidenote: What is with the downloaded apps you need for iOS to do easy-peasey stuff Windows does with both its eyes closed? Just wondering.)

The app in question is from the App Store and called Documents 5. It lets me do a lot of the things I could in Windows with Windows Explorer plus many more: read, listen, view, and annotate almost any sort of file, create directories on the iOS device, rename those directories, copy them, move files to and from them, delete directories as well as read PDFs, mark-up PDFs, and perhaps most significantly: I can download files from the Web to the directories I've created on my iPad, including mp3 files and listen to those files in Documents 5. It calls up its own internal mp3 player and plays them. OOH-RAH! Copied the URLs from the Paleoblues post at the top of this page and they loaded and played just fine, sounded great in Documents 5. Advertising is blocked and I had no trouble with attempts to force me to download other apps. There are probably several other ways to get iOS to do all these things and play mp3s, this is just the workaround I found. ***

Paleoblues, your solos really sound good! Impressive how you got so far in such a short amount of time. Hope I can get down with it as fast as you have. The dual solo with Griff is really remarkable. I wonder if Don Felder and Joe Walsh developed the famous guitar coda from Hotel California this way? Wow is all I can say.

Griff, you da man--again! Am delighted with this course. Also, I'll take this opportunity to say to you how cool I think it is engraving your wife's name on the truss rod cover of your Les Paul. Total class! The ginchiest, dad. I completely dig it.

--o0o--

***Except as a satisfied user, I do not have any connection whatsoever to the Documents 5 app. I think its free anyway. Am just a guy with an iPad who wanted to offer assitance to other students in this school who also might be iOS device users with a similar problem. I did that by sharing my experience with a simple and as far as I know a no-cost way to do Windows-style functions in iOS in order to hear the progress of the other students posted on this site which I hope to some day emulate.

Last edited:

Caboburt

No Bad Days
Excellent Paleo...where is the jam track? I see the extended one, but I don't see one without Griff for the 1st solo alone.

Caboburt

No Bad Days
Thanks...You rocked it. Too bad Griff can't do a note for note and teach us the real lead for "Stairway".

Steve51

Thanks...You rocked it. Too bad Griff can't do a note for note and teach us the real lead for "Stairway".

Cabo,
I think what Griff gives us in the course material is a concrete-pad base upon which we can build our own interpretations of the Stairway lead solo.

Jimmy Page himself has several different approaches to that solo, the original on Led Zeppelin IV, the live versions in BBC Sessions and How the West Was Won, the live version in the movie, The Song Remains the Same, and the live version at Earl's Court on the Led Zeppelin DVD. Whew!

So which one is the real lead? In the book, "When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin," the author Mick Wall quotes band leader Jimmy Page telling the other band members to intentionally tweak the songs on the set list just a bit each night they are on tour to avoid getting stale and losing their creative edge. Therefore, I have no idea which is the proper or real version of anything Led Zeppelin did.

I have my favorite, and will probably play it, embellishing as the Spirit moves me, on top of Griff's base. But with even Jimmy Page encouraging tweaking the songs from their recorded versions in performance, who knows which is the real one?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Can't listen to it on my phone, the link tries to make me install all kind of crap on my phone...

When the VJR was first started, most of us used 4shared. It eventually was abandoned because of the overwhelming amount of crap that tried to install itself. Used to drive my anti-virus software crazy. Dropbox became pretty much everyone's next choice. I've listened to Paleoblues recordings and it seems 4shared has cleaned its act up a bit. At least it's not trying to play an ad audio track over the top of the shared audio/video, like it used to do.

Caboburt

No Bad Days
Hey Steve, I couldn't agree with you more. Over the years nothing makes me happier than to hear a live version that is different from the recorded one. All I meant was that there are some more difficult sections in the original recorded version that I felt would be helpful to us if broken down the way Griff does his lessons. Rock on brother(y)

Steve51

Hey Steve, I couldn't agree with you more. Over the years nothing makes me happier than to hear a live version that is different from the recorded one. All I meant was that there are some more difficult sections in the original recorded version that I felt would be helpful to us if broken down the way Griff does his lessons. Rock on brother(y)

Cabo,

I hear you five by five, brother-man. Dig it!

We're in Teddy Roosevelt-ville.

IMG_1326.JPG

Last edited:

Steve51

Well then here's my live version of the ACDC "Highway to Hell" chords.

ACDC

Righteous chords, dad. Totally cool. You have a very nice, gritty, sound on the overdrive. Angus, on whatever highway he is tonight, would approve, I know. Nicely done.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I thought I replied to this. Anyway, the key as in Griff's lesson is to mute the thirds and just get the "power chord"- the 1 and 5. On the D chord you can play the first string because it is stacked on top of every thing else. But With E, A, G, C the third will just muddy it up.

Incidentally, my "stack" is a miced Roland microcube.