Cover-Peaceful Easy Feeling

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'll just play super charger from no on.

Fortunately they don't come after musicians for playing them. They go after the venues (they know musicians have no money).
Sadly they went after a BBQ joint that I used to play at (they had 3 locations & I played in them all) after paying ASCAP & paying some other entity for the rights to play music on their juke box, BMI came after them, so rather than give all their profits to the music licensing industry, they just shut down all music except performers that played originals. I lost 16 gigs I had on the books.

Elio

Student Of The Blues

Fortunately they don't come after musicians for playing them. They go after the venues (they know musicians have no money).
Sadly they went after a BBQ joint that I used to play at (they had 3 locations & I played in them all) after paying ASCAP & paying some other entity for the rights to play music on their juke box, BMI came after them, so rather than give all their profits to the music licensing industry, they just shut down all music except performers that played originals. I lost 16 gigs I had on the books.

That really sucks! I understand the plight of the artists with respect to revenue loss, but it seems as though there should be a fee structure that doesn't make it unsustainable for a venue to use their music. I wonder how much of those royalties go to the artists versus the managers and attorneys who create and promote the system?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Stoner.gif

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
That really sucks! I understand the plight of the artists with respect to revenue loss, but it seems as though there should be a fee structure that doesn't make it unsustainable for a venue to use their music. I wonder how much of those royalties go to the artists versus the managers and attorneys who create and promote the system?
I can't believe that the ORIGINAL intent was to focus on little mom & pop restaurants, but the major publishing houses got greedy.